Options

Alde System

WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
edited November 2015 in Heating/Plumbing & Winterizing
There has been a lot of posts on the Yahoo Site regarding the new Alde system. I would like to start an Alde owner's experience discussion here about what YOU have learned about your new Alde system in the T@B. I am determined to wrap my mind around how this system operates, and then we can educate others who are new to the system. Please share your thoughts!!!
Beth, 2013 Subaru Forester, 2014 T@B S M@xx
Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I'm surprised that some of the T@B owners haven't answered your posting..... Anyone care to share their experiences????
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Alde system shakedown . . . I visited my T@B today with an intention of familiarizing myself with the Alde system. I found my Glycol overflow reservoir, and it is located at the very rear underneath a panel secured by two screws. I remember asking the RV dealer what was behind that panel, and he said, Oh, don't worry about it, you'll never have to get there. (That should have been my first clue that the dealer doesn't really know how this new system operates.) I unscrewed the panel and found my reservoir. It did have an appropriate amount of fluid (Glycol?) in it. There is a plastic tube leading from the reservoir about 6 inches long that attaches to nothing, which could quite possibly be the "bleeder tube" referenced in the manual. (see picture).

Secondly, I found the two "hidden" fuses referenced by a Yahoo Group user. (See photo.) I popped out the plastic fuse holder and will take it to an electronics shop to get several additional fuses in the event it blows. I had to put the rear seat in the "up" position, and then popped off the plastic top of the Alde. Now I am a little confused as to which way it needs to go back in, because as you can see, the left side is "upside" down vs. the right side, much like a positive and negative for a battery. Oh, golly, gee.

Will keep you posted.
    :-S
  • Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 123
    Mike,
    Thanks for contacting Scott concerning this issue. I have a new T@b with this system and have spent some time trying to discern proper maintenance. After talking with a representative at Alde I believe I will flush the system when the threat of temperature is over and next year just blow it out with air and not use antifreeze. I would be more comfortable if LG would prepare videos and a manual for use with this system.
    Carolyn
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hi Carolyn,

I did receive a not back from Scott yesterday afternoon and he informed me that Ed Kauffman is preparing a video for the Alde System to explain the operation and maintenance of the system. I agree, a video is helpful and hopefully will help to clear things up for people.

And Beth, operationally the fuse should not be an issue (nor affect current flow) but agree that it would look better flipped upward.
  • Options
    Ed Kauffman sent me an email today from the factory and noted that a new owners manual is in the works and they will have more detailed information regarding the Alde system, and additional video clips as well.
  • Options
    KarenNGeorgeKarenNGeorge Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I already believe the Alde system has great advantages. Yes, i'd like to get more input on the how 's and why's regarding the operation, service and care. I haven't yet compared some of the workings due to weather, but I did notice on the rear, left side behind the wheel (underneath) there are three tubes and one vent? What's that about?
    George T@B "S" 2014
    2014 T@B "S" 
    Bluffton, SC
  • Options
    Here is some info on the Alde system. This is printed in English and other languages so take some time and look through it, maybe it will be of help?

• Options
    Hi, KarenNGeorge -- I really don't know either what the three tubes and the vent are for. If I were to surmise, I would guess the tubes are for draining such things as the water heater, the boiler, and or the glycol. Just guessing. I'm hoping Little Guy comes forth with some more information for us new Alde "parents." 8-}
  • Options
    Your best bet is to call Ed Kauffman at the factory and he will be able to answer your question directly.  
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    I can tell you this... our first night trying it, nothing happened. I've referenced this in another thread, but I wanted to be cinsistent. I am going to pursue checking it out over the next couple of weeks. The manual that came with my 2014 says 3010, but the analog control seems to be from a 3000. Odd.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

As Mike suggested, the best course of action would be to call Ed at Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers.  Here's his contact info:

Ed Kauffman

Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers

330.852.4811 (office)

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I spent the weekend learning about my new T@b CS.  I drained the antifreeze from my hot water heater and the water tank and hooked up the city water connection.  After flushing the system I went into the trailer and turned on the heat to the lowest level and spun the dial to the normal setting.  Nothing happened.  After reading the manual we determined that we needed to have the circulation pump on as well. It took a little while but the inside of the trailer was toasty warm despite cold temps outside.  We camped in the driveway and were very impressed with the heating system.  There is no noise and no forced air; just a gentle radiation form the long slots in the bench.  It was very comfortable.  I still need to learn about maintaining the glycol level and bleeding the system when necessary but am very pleased so far. 
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options

Carolyn -- Where is the circulation pump located? How do you turn it on -- a switch?  Where is the switch located?  Any help will be appreciated, as I'm sure Ed at Pleasant Valley is going to be overwhelmed with calls when all the new Alde "parents" take their babies out of storage.  :((

Thanks!

• Options
    The control panel on mine has three lines of adjustments and a dial.  The first one on the left turns on the heat at different levels.  the third one shows a radiant symbol and that is the one I turned on for the recirculation.  I did not put it all the way to the top as I understood that to be hot water only.
  • Options

I have attached the operating instructions for the control panel that is installed in my 2014 T@B S M@xx. This is different from the 3010 Alde Manual that came with my T@B.  The RV dealer told me that Little Guy opted to use this control panel vs. the digital panel to save expense.  A Yahoo Group user located this document on the Alde website.  I'm hoping the rest of the 3010 manual I have is applicable, but I'm finding it hard to locate all the "parts" that are referenced in it.  There is no indication of where to find the "bleeder" device, among other things.  A Yahoo user stated that the circulation pump on the T@B is external to the reservoir, contrary to these instructions (LG used the optional external pump), and I've yet to locate it.

So, I'm getting my list together for a call to Ed. 

:)]
  • Options

Sorry, guys, but I have Alde in my head and once I get something in my head, it has to be DRILLED out to be rid of it.  (Glad my BF doesn't read this Forum!)  So, I'm reading the instructions that I just posted above, and it does talk about the third slider (referenced as J, I, & H) controlling the circulation pump.  Ah-ha!  >:)

Carolyn -- Is this the circulation pump switch that you talk about?  I just read your new post and I now see that it does.

Thanks!!!

• Options

I spoke with Ed Kaufman for 20 minutes this afternoon.  Ed's a very nice guy and was extremely patient with me and my newbie questions.  I am feeling a lot less intimidated about the new Alde system, and I think it's going to be a super system for the T@B.  He went through, step-by-step, how to de-winterize my T@B and get her ready to go camping.  One of the things that I had a question about --what are the drains under the T@B near the rear?  He said they are "safety drains" and can be used for the purpose of draining the water quickly from the "water heater."  BUT you don't have to use those to de-winterize the T@B.  The Alde manual infers that this is the only way to drain the "water heater."  However, Ed stated that he would use city water and a garden hose to flush the system, and it will also flush the "water heater."

The term "water heater" confused me, which the Alde manual makes reference to.  The Alde doesn't have a water heater like a conventional trailer might have with an anode rod.  The system circulates water around a heater that is part of the boiler system to provide hot water.  However, the Alde can be used to provide heat (i.e, winter camping) without water.  Ed stated that is one of the reasons they decided to go with the Alde. The electrical element is encased in the glycol so that it doesn't freeze. 

The bleeder valve is a silver stem valve that comes off the convector pipe.  Ed said that I shouldn't have to mess with that, although recently, he added there have been a few units that needed some adjustment.  He also said the glycol shouldn't need to be changed for 5 years.  He said if your reservoir is low, just add a little water and it shouldn't mess up the ratio.

The more I understand how this system works, the better I feel about it.  Even greater, I feel reassured that you can dial-up a higher-up at the factory and talk to him.  In my opinion, Little Guy is a Big Guy.

Finally, I asked about the instructional materials supposedly in production to help us learn this new system.  He laughed and said, well, if everyone would quit calling me with questions, I would have time to get to it.  So true, Ed. 

=))
  • Options
    deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103
    I'm surprised that some of the T@B owners haven't answered your posting..... Anyone care to share their experiences????
         My Alde system was not heating properly when it was cold outside, 20degrees.  Manufacture was helpful talking Dealer through steps for checking system. Turns out the gylceral? level was below the full mark. Top off by Dealer cured heating difficulty. :)

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    I agree completely! Salesman pointed things out but not how they work. Still need to de-winterize and not completely sure how to start. Haven't a clue about the Alde system in To@d. Hoping to take him camping this weekend!
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options

Another Alde mystery . . . yesterday my BF was with me visiting T@B at the storage lot.  He wanted to look at the water lines running in and out of the Alde.  One thing we discovered is this clear plastic tube that was leading OUT of the Alde heater but was just laying on the floor of the T@B.  (see first picture).  My BF is well-versed in conventional HVAC/plumbing systems, and immediately, he said, shouldn't this tube go into this hole???? (see second picture).  We looked underneath T@B to see what we could see, and the circular black tube drains underneath the T@B.  We are guessing that the clear plastic tube running from the Alde should be attached in the hole, and is possibly a drain for condensation or overflow.

Can anyone else verify whether or not their Alde has this clear tube inserted into the hole?  Any other insights after looking at these pictures? 

:-? :-?
  • Options
    CorfuCorfu Member Posts: 51
    I can confirm that there are 3 tubes from my alde to that drain plug. 1 clear and 1 black rubber from the unit itself, and 1 clear tube coming from the glycol reservoir at the back of the T@B. All three are not very secure into that drain plug. I'll need to work on that.
    Steve
    Maryland
    2014 T@B S Maxx "T@BOO"
    2005 Honda Pilot
  • Options
    Steve -- Thanks so much for checking that out.  :D  I'm going to keep my eye on it while camping next weekend and see if I can see anything "flowing" through it.  We pushed the tube down into the hole.  Let me know if you come up with something more secure. =D>
  • Options
    CorfuCorfu Member Posts: 51
    You can see a pic in my last post to the modifications thread. I was going to go push/pull them all through there better a minute ago, but the entire gaggle of neighborhood kids are currently occupying the trailer...  =))
    Steve
    Maryland
    2014 T@B S Maxx "T@BOO"
    2005 Honda Pilot
  • Options
    I am in my T@b in the driveway again.... the Alde is set on "two lightning bolts," and I am plugged into shore power. I hear a mild hum, which I suspect means it's working. I want to see if it gets warm, as promised. I haven't yet opened the case where it is, as there is a screw holding the top down and I am literally too lazy to get my tools (I plan on working on/with the T@b this weekend, but couldn't wait to go out in it).
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    By golly, I think it works! Very aubtle, as opposed to a forced hot air. Most likely, ideal for a confined space like the T@b, but not the quick get hot you may want (those space heaters might be a good "quick start."
  • Options
    benderennsbenderenns Member Posts: 41
    When set to the 2 "lightening bolts" and plugged into "shore power", I don't get any response!!! no heat...
    Can the T@b heater controller be set to the water and heat setting in thw/o any fresh water in the tank? I don't hear a click or get any heat w/o using that setting….
    help...
    Chris and Phil -  Sally D., 2015 Q Maxx, Toyota 4Runner, Sidney, BC, CANADA
  • Options
    sorry about that gobbledygook - dog in the lap - re: the Alde system  -   Using the setting in the other column - of the image of heat AND water - is the only way I get a response but am afraid of leaving it on in case it burns something out...
  • Options
    Try moving the third slider to setting J for heat only (see my other post in response to your posting).  I put my lightning bolt setting on C.   ~X(
  • Options
    Thanks Wanderoo! I meant to ask about the lightening bolts in my response to you…

Choosing "C" means that T@B 2015 has an electrical cartridge rated at 2100 power only or can we choose the other settings, too?
  • Options

Yes, you can use the highest power of lightning bolts.  Did you get an Alde Owner's Manual with your T@B?  There is some good info in that, too.

@-)