Options

Alde System

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @DougH, what year/model Tab do you have?

Digital panel or analog? 

I ask because on the analog panel, "1" is equivalent to "2" (each is 9A) but "3" is twice "1" (or 18A). 

Also, did you 'optimize' the output of the Alde by opening the back shelf?

Ok, perhaps -19 is reaching the Alde's limits! Perhaps in order is a 4"down comforter thrown over the whole Tab?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited February 2019
    @ChanW : We have a 2015-2016 T@B S Max with the Alde 3010 digital display.  Stock back shelf.  Next trip:  Southern Australia to see how cool we can keep in when it's 122F outside.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    I think a backup heater is a great idea if you plan to winter camp.  You can’t be too prepared.  Next time try using both electric and LPG as soon as you hook up and give it time to work.  In sub-zero temps, I think you will continue to need the LPG in addition to the electric.  I imagine the extra heater takes up some precious floor space.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM : I try to minimize my use of fossil fuels (vegan, never fly, buy local, most fuel efficient TV I could afford, etc).  I know... weirdo.  So I bring propane for boondocking when needed, but if at a commercial park, I use only electric with a hope that it's at least partially nuclear, wind or solar fueled.  Not a political thing, more a bizarre ethical mandate sort of like "leave no trace" when camping.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    0* sleeping bag is really comfy at 19*F, and it’s very much a “leave no trace” warming apparatus. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Ha! Southern Australia! I guess I'd forgotten you were "down under"!

We have the earlier version of the Alde Tab, which has an additional radiator under the passenger side bench. Don't know if your year did. So that might be why we were able to easily keep it toasty at -5°F. We even opened the door and warmed the add-a-room side-tent a bit (granted, it was probably +2 during the day, at that point, and I doubt that the whole shebang was 'toasty' with the door open!). And we did use the combination electric and propane.

Also, we always open the back shelf for heat, so it pours out of there. Otherwise the bedding stops it.

Re: 122°F, I hope you've done the mod on the AC outside vent, separating the intake and exhaust more effectively. It's pretty inefficient as is from the factory.

I'm confused. Isn't it summer in Australia right now?
    DougH said:
    @ChanW : We have a 2015-2016 T@B S Max with the Alde 3010 digital display.  Stock back shelf.  Next trip:  Southern Australia to see how cool we can keep in when it's 122F outside.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Down under via Texas!!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Heh! Long drive to southern Australia! (Got me!)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna said:
    0* sleeping bag is really comfy at 19*F, and it’s very much a “leave no trace” warming apparatus. 
    It is amazing how much my small, 15 lb, 4 legged furnace adds to the mix.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @Verna : Slept in a 0F bag (third layer of safety backup). But if the espresso machine gets too cold, the morning coffee doesn't taste as good so I HAD to keep things in the 60s, to not offend the coffee gods.

@ChanW : On our year's model there is a convector on the passenger side bench, but most heat climbs up the back wall out of a half inch gap between the wall and the shelf / lid. Could put a few muffin fans down there to augment the natural convection and probably improve the system efficiency.  We did replace the 5000BTU A/C with a 6500BTU LG unit and improved the incoming / outgoing air flow issue.  Not sure how any of us can summer camp with A/C in desert areas like Death Valley without using a generator until new tech comes along.  Maybe the NuCamp 700 in 2024 will have R50 vacuum insulating panels in the walls and 3 layer vacuum windows, so just a tiny heater or A/C will keep the camper at a perfect 68F year round. Fingers crossed!

• Options
    Yep, I believe those are both on the list of 2024 options, along with the self deploying, whole Tab, combination sun/sand-shade system, for the ever-increasing sandstorms that we're likely to endure by then.
    DougH said:
    ..... Maybe the NuCamp 700 in 2024 will have R50 vacuum insulating panels in the walls and 3 layer vacuum windows, so just a tiny heater or A/C will keep the camper at a perfect 68F year round. Fingers crossed!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya