Hiding Cash for emergencies

weaseldogweaseldog Member Posts: 17
I got to thinking about where and how to hide some cash in case of emergency while on the road. So I searched Amazon for "hiding containers". I looked at a bunch of them and picked one out. It arrived today and I'm really happy with it. What do you think about this kind of thing? 
T@B-tini
2 Catahoulas and their Biped 
2014 T@B Q in Mendocino CA
TV: 2017 Jeep GC  4x4

Comments

• weaseldogweaseldog Member Posts: 17
     Verna, I didn't mean to offend....I didn't reveal which kind of "stashy thingy" I bought.  :)  I was in a conversation with a traveling family a couple weeks ago about how to keep things safe and yet handy. For me, this is an option I like....and didn't know about before. 
    T@B-tini
    2 Catahoulas and their Biped 
    2014 T@B Q in Mendocino CA
    TV: 2017 Jeep GC  4x4

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2017
    weaseldog said:
    I got to thinking about where and how to hide some cash in case of emergency while on the road. So I searched Amazon for "hiding containers". I looked at a bunch of them and picked one out. It arrived today and I'm really happy with it. What do you think about this kind of thing? 
    I've traveled extensively throughout the US and Canada and rule of thumb for me is to carry minimal cash.  Obviously some cash will be needed for establishments who do not accept a credit card, etc. but there are also (for the most part) available ATM's in most communities and along any given route where you can obtain cash when needed.  I also have done an exchange along the border when entering into Canada to have currency available and to eliminate the differences of both currencies and to eliminate greed by unscrupulous vendors.  If your credit is good and you have a credit card available and a decent line of credit available, you may never need to consider carrying large amounts of cash and therefore put yourself at risk via theft, etc.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @weaseldog, you didn't offend me. I just don't think it's wise to discuss this except in person. Mike has the best answer and I totally agree with him. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    I did the same thing as you!  I was a bit shocked at the "accessories" that came with a lot of these stealth containers (smell proof bags!  :o )

Here's an example of one of them... sorry about the poor pictures I had taken them quickly and sent them to a friend the other month!

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited August 2017
    Living in earthquake country we keep some cash stashed in the house in case credit cards don't work, so not a bad idea when traveling to have some handy.  

Lots of nooks and crannies in the T@b,. Taped to the back of the glycol tank or around the Alde would work.  I can think of a few more, but I'd have to, you know, if I told you. :blush:
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    How about putting it in a Baggie and placing it in the black tank drain behind the screw on cap? No one would ever think of looking there. Until now.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    What's wrong with the ol coffe can in the back yard? Oh...wait, that won't work...! Lol
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Buy one of those $35 lock boxes. Put some useless items in it that would shift if the box is tilted. Put your real valuables someplace else. Crime is the career of last resort. The thieves would think they hit pay dirt all the way home. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I agree with Mike and limit the amount of cash we carry.  Domestically we use credit cards, but internationally, we prefer to use cash to help prevent credit card fraud (very inconvienent when far from home) and some foreign locales make you pay their expenses if you use credit.  Anyway, a recent South American adventure saw us without access to ATMs so I had to be creative.  This won't work for guys traveling alone.  You can hide a lot of cash sandwiched in a folded sanitary pad.  Very well concealed and hiding out in the open.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited August 2017
    @Michigan_Mike and @Verna if you ever pass feedback back to the factory, one thing I really liked in the Airstream Base camp was a locking compartment. I nice secure built in locking compartment would be nice.

Yes, we can add lock boxes, but it would be nice to have one standard.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Roamey said:
    locking compartment ? :rofl:
    Ha!!! Oh, autocorrect, how I love the. Let me count the ways... 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

@jkjenn, do you want me to correct the auto correct? ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Verna said:
    @jkjenn, do you want me to correct the auto correct? ;)
    Got it thanks. Easier to correct on a desktop than phone. :)

• EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Like this idea of hiding emergency cash. I do carry cash and put it in very secret paces. Years ago, I found a stash of money under the insole of a pair of shoes that I wore in West Africa. Sadly, the foreign currency was badly worn and useless. It did spark wonderful memory of my life in Ghana.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

edited August 2017
    I have a small gun safe (with cable) that I keep in my trailer on occasion and it is an excellent place to store jewelry, cash, valuables, credit cards, etc.  You can buy them at any store with sporting goods or hunting equipment.  Wally World has them too I believe.  
  • TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 159
    No doubt Prime!   =)
    edited August 2017
    I have a small gun safe (with cable) that I keep in my trailer on occasion and it is an excellent place to store jewelry, cash, valuables, credit cards, etc.  You can buy them at any store with sporting goods or hunting equipment.  Wally World has them too I believe.  
    This is something I have considered doing, as well.

I hid mine this last week under the passenger side seat. Wheel well seam failed and filled the compartment with dirt.  Will have to find a new place so I don't have to launder so many small bills. :blush:

You greatly over estimate our cash needs Boo. :smiley:

• tsimpsontsimpson Member Posts: 1
    cash what is that??? when we travel we use our Debit Card or a Master Card for everything, we get a better exchange rate when crossing the border, and for the very few time we hit a place that wanted cash they usually were able to tell us where the nearest ATM was, at the very most we only travel with about $20.00 cash each
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    My wife convinced me a long time ago to just give her the cash.  She assures me that it is safe.  So far, so good.  (I think.)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    tsimpson said:
    cash what is that??? when we travel we use our Debit Card or a Master Card for everything, we get a better exchange rate when crossing the border, and for the very few time we hit a place that wanted cash they usually were able to tell us where the nearest ATM was, at the very most we only travel with about $20.00 cash each
    Dave Ramsey is shaking his head. :|  Of course Mr. Ramsey would never have purchased such a frivolous item as a travel trailer either! We also use a credit card with alerts (that notify my wife's phone) when purchases are made. We've had a couple of instances where our debit cards were compromised somehow, so we try not to use them.
    2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @Verna B)

Guido eh? I certainly wouldn't mess with him! He must be Tony's brother.

I've been giving Tony my money for years. I'm not sure where he puts it, but he sez it's 'guaranteed' protection. I believe him.
    Verna said:
    I think I’ll give the cash to Guido—recent rescued dog who does not like men and isn’t really fond of anyone but me!  A stealthy thief will not be so stealthy with him around!  

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    Same place as home, under the mattress;) 
    Locked in the TV... but we try to limit the amount of cash we carry. It's generally not needed. As @Sharon_is_SAM mentions, international travel provides it's own unique challenges. There are many places where plastic does not work. The challenge becomes what to do with a wad of cash. Once upon a time folks would carry travelers checks, remember those? Our theory is carry what you need and don't overthink it. Odds of getting robbed are very small. You invite someone to steal by trying get clever hiding your cash. Good hotels often have safes in the rooms or a safe in the front office. Use those. 
    Guido seems to have a serious underbite....a trip to the orthodontist may be in order.

• CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Some smaller more rural campgrounds only will take cash.    In my experience it has only been 10 or 20 bucks,  and had gas station that was cash only.

I had a huge laugh when mandy leigh did a video about trailer mods and one lady showed us where she hides her valuables in the trailer,    I couldn't believe it.  

Think outside the box.   the more difficult for you to retrieve it makes it less likely that the bad guy will find it too.    I think my hiding spot is solid,   hope I never need to find out.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
    @ChanW and @tabiphile, yes that underbite is pretty bad on Guido, but he definitely had a rough time before I rescued him.   The underbite is common with Shih Tzu’s and he’s supposed to be part Shih Tzu. 

Seriously, he was ready to take on the REMC repair guy earlier and the guy stood his ground, but so did Guido, until I picked him up!  Guido has the neighborhood Blue Heeler buffaloed and poor Amos turns tail and run home!  Guido weighs about 1/4 of what Amos weighs!  

At least I know no one is coming between him and I!. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN