Options

Frame cracks where tongue bolts to frame

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    At this point I don’t really care. If the remaining mounting points are more than adequate to do the job. To this point that appears to be the case. They have agreed to replace the rails at no cost.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @tabiphile, For all we know Norco did just that.  Just because the specifics of their explanation was not shared by Marvin does not mean that was not done.  Call and ask them.  It sounds like you know your way around the steel and quality assurance industry.  Please let us know what you find out.  But I think “ becoming too brittle” vs “being brittle” are pretty close and the end results as you report are the same.  Thankfully it appears to be limited.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jrsladjrslad Member Posts: 20
    2000 miles on my new frame. All is well!
    John & Michelle & JD (Just Dog) 2019 T@B 400 Boondock LTE  towed by a 2017 Toyota Highlander v6, (flat land only) or a 2017 Tundra v8 (when going west)
  • Options
    Out of all the 2015 T@B out there. I have been very surprised that more have not been reported. My guess is that many people are just unaware of the issue. Thankfully no safety problems have been reported. It would be interesting to know how many trailers built in the effected time frame do not have cracks.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I read somewhere that they only expected less than 20 to have been affected. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    I guess us lucky ones should go out and buy a  lottery ticket.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna said:
    I guess us lucky ones should go out and buy a  lottery ticket.
    I got a free ticket at work, last week, in which I won another free ticket. I better cash that in, fast.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 123
    I just inspected our 2014 T@b and found a crack at the passenger side at a bolt hole under the steps.
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    @Carolyn, be sure to talk to the factory.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    @Carolyn, the following info would be helpful if you have it. Yours would be the first 2014 reported here with this problem. Are the cracks the same as those shown in the various photographs in this discussion?

- Frame build date and S/N (from the sticker on the passenger side of the frame near the bolts just behind the step).

- Camper build date (from the sticker on the driver's side of the tongue).

Thanks!

2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG, the 2014 frames are constructed differently than the 2015’s. There was a major change with the 2015 frames. Because they are different, it really doesn’t seem that the 2014 should be included in the same count as the 2015’s. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Right! I remembered you indicating Cyclonic's 2012 was different, but couldn't recall when the big frame change occurred. Wasn't 2014 the last year of the surge brakes, also?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Yes, @ScottG, when the last of the surge brake frames were used up on the 2014’s, nüCamp/Pleasant Valley began using the frames with electric brakes. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    grimgrinningghostgrimgrinningghost Member Posts: 7
    Tried sifting through the entire thread but didn't see it answered - we have a 2018 320. Should we expect to see frame cracks? Is this something they fixed in newer models? Seeing mostly 2015s reporting cracks. Thanks.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Tried sifting through the entire thread but didn't see it answered - we have a 2018 320. Should we expect to see frame cracks? Is this something they fixed in newer models? Seeing mostly 2015s reporting cracks. Thanks.
    Appears limited to a small group of 2015 models. That said, it is always wise to do regular safety inspections.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @grimgrinning@grimgrinningghost
    You should not have this issue.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    grimgrinningghostgrimgrinningghost Member Posts: 7
  • Options
    I do not have any legible stickers on the frame rails. You can see most of the serial number here. We picked up our trailer on Nov 30, 2013 but it was deemed a 2014 model. It was one of if not the very first Alde unit. This was all so new that we have no diversion valves for winterizing.
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    Thanks for the photo, @Carolyn.  Your frame (or at least that part of it) looks just like my 2015. However, I can see enough of the S/N to tell it's an entirely separate range of values. The currently affected T@Bs all have an S/N starting with BAL0000...

@Verna, I know you said the pre-2015 frame were different. Is Carolyn's frame consistent with the 2014's you have seen?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited June 2018
    @ScottG, Carolyn’s frame is consistent with what mine looks like. My frame was manufactured 6/3/2013, has a serial number, not a BAL number. My T@B was manufactured in 8/2013, which makes it a 2014 model. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    There has been a few references to Cyclonic’s “frame failure” and I thought I would set the record straight.

He had a tow vehicle frame and hitch failure, not a T@B frame failure. 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4409/hitch-problems/p1
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Carolyn said:

Carolyn, it appears as though there is a crack on the right side of the bottom fastener in your frame. Could you take a close up picture of that or confirm if that is a crack? The crack (if it is one) appears to run horizontally to the East/right from the bottom fastener location....
  • Options
    Most definitely a crack
  • Options
  • Options
    chpivchpiv Member Posts: 20
    I just purchased a 2015 T@B 320S outback. Have been cleaning it up and adding refrigerator fan modifications, added a battery monitor and replaced the Alde antifreeze. Just got under it today and found frame cracks on both sides. Would like to hear about processes to repair. I am reading as fast as I can so maybe the information is later in this string. Thanks for all the valuable information this site provides.
    2015 Little Guy T@B Outback
    2017 Toyota Tacoma Offroad
    Bishop, CA
  • Options
    jrsladjrslad Member Posts: 20
    How close are you to Elkhart, In? I had my frame replaced in 3 hours at the Norco factory exactly one year ago for free. Since then I have traveled over 12000 miles without issues. Problem solved. 
    John & Michelle & JD (Just Dog) 2019 T@B 400 Boondock LTE  towed by a 2017 Toyota Highlander v6, (flat land only) or a 2017 Tundra v8 (when going west)
  • Options
    I am the original poster of this thread. Since then I have logged nearly 15,000miles without making any repairs.To date the cracks are exactly as they were when I first found them. At this time I still have no plans for repair. Even though I was at Sugarcreek last summer. I do check them from time to time. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    My build date was 4/28/2015.
    Bishop, CA
  • Options
    Glad to hear that, maybe I will sleep well tonight!
    Bishop, CA