Options

Official statement from Scott Hubble concerning the Air8 air conditioner

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    crohrbachercrohrbacher Member Posts: 24
    Purchased my T@B 400 in March. I was "put on the list" back in May when I asked NuCamp about it. I've since added the "air scoop" from NuCamp and received the "temp sensor relocation kit" from Elwell (both I had to ask for). I've sent emails to both NuCamp and Elwell asking about a replacement/upgrade for the Air8, and I get nothing but crickets in response. I'd sure like to have this thing fixed/replaced before my warranty runs out, and also before the summer season starts here in south Texas.

Charles / 2020 T@B 400BDL / 2019 Ford Ranger / Cibolo, TX
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    edited November 2020

After 330 responses to this topic perhaps it’s time to decode and unpack Scott’s letter. It really looks like he is backed into a corner.

Scott begins his note by pointing out “very close early involvement with AIR8 management and successful testing of one prototype before moving ahead with the AIR8 unit in production”. He goes on to say that “a handful of warranty claims for “performance issues” began to appear once the units were put into service. There are two key details in his message here. First, he is trying to spread ownership and soften the extent of the problems and secondly through the use of the quotation marks he is downplaying the actual problems.

Next Scott suggests active attention to the problems. He points out that a joint investigation with AIR8 management and AC Engineers was completed without finding “no one single issue”. This is a key point to absorb. He is not saying that the units perform successfully or well in the specific nuCamp application. Rather, he is confirming that the AIR8 performs to meet the specification to which it was manufactured. Hidden in this choice of words is the single most important detail related to nuCamp and AIR8’s obligations to correct the performance issues. What he is suggesting is that nuCamp owns the implementation/application problems but that AIR8 stands behind their unit performing to it’s specifications, the specifications that it was sold to nuCamp under. As one would expect, there is an implied commitment to continue to work to improve the unit but no commitment to timing or performance. Several minor modifications to improve the installation have followed without addressing the actual shortcomings.

Continuing Scott again notes the small numbers of claims (10 or less)and goes on to say that AIR8 stands behind the product. Then comes the kicker. “AIR8 has agreed that where a unit has been identified, tested and verified as unable to perform as intended, the unit will be replaced with a upgraded unit. ” What he does not identify is what that “performance as intended” covers, be it the failed application in the installed unit or the bench performance to the manufacturing specifications of the AIR8. But, that seems quite clear. Almost assuredly AIR8 would not take responsibly for nuCamp’s installation. Any contractual performance obligations covered by AIR8 (any manufacturer) would be to the shipped product specifications. Properly structured sales contracts are always written to indemnify the manufacturer in the case of an application or usage problem as is clearly the case here.

Perhaps nuCamp was naïve in how they approached such terms…but it appears that AIR8 was not. What AIR8 appears to have done is to create a warranty reserve for nuCamp to replace up to 10 defective units if they are proven defective. They have offered (without contractual obligation) to continue to strive for “improved performance”. Essentially AIR8 has committed to nothing and nuCamp is hopeful that they can leverage their relationship with AIR8 to achieve improved performance.                             

The bottom line laid out in Scott’s note is that AIR8 will take care of up to ten units and that nuCamp will honor their obligations to their customers as best they can..and hopefully for no more than 10. This is a classic situation where an engineering/production implementation failure bumps up against a suppliers contractual support obligations.

After well over a year the end game has become more clear. nuCamp has moved on with a different unit and AIR8 has not provided a product that performs significantly differently than what was originally delivered. If you are one of the affected customers you should not be waiting for a revelation to appear on these pages. It’s time to pick up your phone.

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    @tabiphile

No offense intended but I think you are trying way to hard to determine intent based on Mr. Hubble's letter. If you are one of the affected owners (I am), I would suggest that you communicate directly with NuCamp, ElWell, or your dealer. There isn't anyone on this forum who really knows the answer(s) so this doesn't do anything to help anyone who is affected. Stirring this pot will not resolve it, Verna has already made several comments regarding "when there is an official update it will be posted to the forum". Obviously, there hasn't been an update or even an announcement regarding those affected. 

Yes, I too wish I knew the resolution but I don't. Yes, I too wish I wasn't one of the affected owners, but I am. 

However, I also believe the NuCamp will stand behind the owners that have this issue and I am waiting patiently (sometimes not as patient as I should) for the resolution to be announced.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    @Dutch061, as previously noted, if you are one of the affected owners, as @crohrbacher clearly is, pick up the phone and contact nuCamp...over 333 posts here have not solved the problem. I have no doubt that nuCamp will do everything within their means.
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    @tabiphile

Yes, as mentioned in my previous post I am one of the affected, and of course I have done exactly what I mentioned for others who may be affected to do.

1. Contact your dealer
    2. Contact NuCamp
    3. Contact ElWell

I don't think the order really matters, in fact I never bothered my dealer with it initially because the resolution would be given to them when it was available. They are aware of it at this time.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    RichardofYorkRichardofYork Member Posts: 8
    I have read, as late as June 2020, that nuCamp and Elwell were  working on a solution of the Air8 on the 2020 TAB 400.  Has a solution been developed and deployed?  Is it a warranty item?
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @RichardofYork
    I'd recommend contacting nuCamp directly for factual updates on this matter. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    Popping this discussion up to the top - it's been another full year.

I contacted nuCamp in 2020 and got 'on the list' for a repair.  Confirmed they had both my contact info as well as my dealer.  I haven't heard from them since.

Did anyone ever get a fix here or did nuCamp just leave 2020 owners in the dust?
    2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Encourage you to continue to contact nuCamp as there is a solution.  Be a squeaky wheel. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop