Options

Official statement from Scott Hubble concerning the Air8 air conditioner

Comments

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @Dutch061
    Funny stuff! Yeah, I saw Jaws and have no desire to become shark stool. Love the beach tho. Here in SoCal the "scenery" is well...spectacular.  :oB)

Trying to cool a rig when surface temps are 150 and interior is 110+ is a challenge for most any RV A/C unit, short of the monster rigs. 

I don't own an infrared themometer. I use the worlds best, most expensive temperature sensor known to mankind. A Brookstone digital meat thermometer. Laugh if you want, but my filet mignon is always done to perfection!  ;)

As things move along here, I'll share what I can. Don't wish to be like the kid who says "I know something you don't know! Na nana naa nah na" but I did give my word to keep specifics under wraps. Just wanted folks to know Elwell is efforting to correct this. 

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    crohrbachercrohrbacher Member Posts: 24
    edited July 2020
    (Edited for photo size.)

This is after the programming change. 9 hours. Full sun. South TX. Top is outside.

Charles / 2020 T@B 400BDL / 2019 Ford Ranger / Cibolo, TX
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    edited July 2020
    This is a super helpful thread - thanks everyone! 
    I recently purchased a new 2020 T@B 320 Boondock Lite CS-S with Air8.  The Air8 cools the 320 fine, I feel for the 400 owners.  I definitely will be making the programming change for the fan, so it doesn't shut off when the compressor shuts off. 

Did I read that someone did a DIY with temp sensor relocation?  I have noticed that the compressor cycles a lot, often on for just a couple of minutes.  I'm guessing that's just part of the design, as it's monitoring temperature and adjusting?  My last T@B was 2014 and had a Frigidaire window unit with no temp sensor.

For those with same or similar 320 model, I find the noise level when standing or sitting behind the T@B while Air8 is cooling at any fan level to be excessive.  Anyone have any tips or hacks to make it less distracting?  I know it's right there at the back, but having a clamshell model means I and my friends spend most of our time near the galley in the back.  
    TIA!
    Beth

Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Well, if it is nice me to be outside, just turn the AC off, and open up the TaB whilst you are outside, enjoying the back galley area and out-of-doors environment.  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Good point @Denny16 --
    I typically spend time outside the T@B even if it's not particularly comfortable for me.  Given its size, it won't take long to cool it down when I'm ready to sleep, so I need to adjust my thinking and old patterns to the newer and smarter Air8.  :)
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    @twocutes there is a “scoop” modification that some 400/Air8 owners have installed on the exhaust duct underneath the camper (including my 400), with hopes of improving the unit’s performance.  One thing I immediately noticed after installing the directional scoop is the noise on the camping side was greatly reduced.  I mean it was a dramatic improvement in noise reduction.  I might suggest you look into some form of a scoop, or contact NuCamp to see if it is advisable or available for a 320.
  • Options
    @TNOutback - thanks!
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @twocutes
    On page two of this thread there's a pic of the scoop. I contacted Aaron on Warranty and he had one shipped out. May start there.
    As @TNOutback states, it made a huge difference in reducing decibel level outside the rig.
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    @AirBoss - thanks!
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    @AirBoss
    @TNOutback
    I am not a very mechanical person, so, does the scoop install requiring drilling of any sort?  I am going to contact nuCamp warranty department to get one and want to understand the complexity of installation.  :)  TIA!
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    @twocutes
    It requires six screws to be drilled into the underside of the rig. No "drilling" required but one could pre-drill the holes to make it even easier. Just position the scoop properly over the exhaust vent and screw it down. It does not require much effort at all. I installed it in less than two minutes with a cordless drill. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    @AirBoss
    Thank you!
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Contacted Warranty a couple of times in past 3 days regarding A/C exhaust "scoop" kit. No reply yet. It's possible they got a storm of contacts as usually they reply same day. Anyone else have similar experience?
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    Could be they're a bit underwater? Vacations? I've found them to be pretty responsive. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    @johnfconway
    Same experience here - I emailed them about the scoop on Monday
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There are only two warranty employees. Please be patient as they may need to investigate as they may not know what the “scoop” modification is. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Maybe a picture would help.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options

Is this what you're referring to @Sharon_is_SAM
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    I attached a photo to my email.  I need to correct myself.  I sent the email Tuesday morning, not Monday.  :)
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    Patience, Beth, Patience😉. That’s what my mother always said to me (insert “Verna”, instead of Beth!).   They will get to it. We never know what their workload is.

Maybe they’re on vacation and out camping...😂. Just joking on that one!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The amount of direct sun makes a huge difference on the temperature of the T@b. Here is a tale of two different days.

Yesterday, I spent the first part of the day working outside of the T@b at the picnic table. I left the windows open and the fan running. By the time I came inside, the temperature inside of the T@b was already in the high 80's. I closed up the windows and left one open a smidge and also the fan and cranked the AC. The temperature struggled to stay at 79 during the rest of the afternoon. As the sun went down, the Air8 quickly cooled off the inside. Yesterday was a total bluebird day.

Today, with more overcast skies but also hot temperatures, the Air 8 is dong a good job keeping temps around 65 degrees. 

I think the cloudy skies are helping, but I also think starting off the day cold is helping. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @Verna
    I actually wasn't complaining about the time - sorry if my post read that way.  I just noted I added a picture because I thought it a good idea.  I can only imagine the increased amount of warranty activity there is this season.  :)
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    I'll just leave this right here...

I believe it's a testament to nuCamp that there is an expectation of what I would refer to as unusually prompt replies in the RV world. I've owned RV before and at least from my experience getting a comprehensive response from a manufacturer within five business days is very rare. Typically with nuCamp, you don't need to be the "squeeky wheel." They'll get back to you, rest assured.

On the Air 8 PLUS note:
    Elwell VP and a rep came to my home (Carlsbad, CA) and installed the Air 8 Plus installed last week, as well as the fan reprogramming, rerouting/shortening of duct work, and relocation of the thermocouple (now located to the right of the Jensen head unit on line with the 3-way fan switch). The install took less than two hours.  

Some things to note from talking with the Elwell folks:

I know there are other opinions on this one but I'll pass it along from the source in any case. Elwell recommends exhausting the unit with the ceiling fan for a few minutes first, then closing up the rig when firing up the A/C. Just as you do with our vehicle or your home. The unit relies on recirculated air for cooling so the cooler the interior is the faster/cooler the interior becomes. 

A small fan (compact Vornado was my choice) pointed at the ceiling helps keep the warmer air circulating back down toward the return air inlet. https://www.vornado.com/shop/circulators-fans/5303-small-air-circulator

I don't have a infrared temp gauge but I can say it was obvious (and as mentioned by Elwell folks) that the factory solar on the roof does transfer a fair amount hear thru the roof. Just by touch I can feel the delta between that areas of the ceiling and other areas. Thus, the fan. 

It's a fact that starting from a cooler temp is very helpful. It took a while in 104 degree temps near Lone Pine CA last week to get the T@B cooled down. Most any compact unit would struggle under those circumstances. That said, it was rather quick to cool and maintain the desired temp when I started the unit in the AM. If you're travelling thru hi temp regions for 6-7 hours you'll have to expect the rig will not cool down quickly. 

I found the Air 8 Plus to be a significant improvement. At approx. 8100BTU's vs. 6500 of the original Air 8, it's markedly better. At this point I'd have to say that the Air 8 Plus will be a serviceable a/c unit under the vast majority of conditions. 

I'd leave it at this: I found the Elwell team to be professional and forthcoming. The Air 8 Plus is a big step forward. Does it cool as well as a 15KBTU unit...of course not. But then, I didn't expect it to. There are many reason I bought the T@B 400...its ability to turn its interior into a refrigerator isn't one of them. 

Granted, these are "early returns" and results may vary. Next trip is mid-Aug to wine country Paso Robles, CA for a week or so where temps are in uppper 80's low 90's. Time will tell the tale.   
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Great info @AirBoss - thanks for sharing. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @AirBoss - thanks for the great information and the tips!  It makes sense that factory solar is a factor, too.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    @twocutes I was just picking on you!  I can still remember Mother saying “Patience, Verna, Patience!” and we used to laugh about it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    @AirBoss - does it appear the Elwell Air8+ is indeed the higher capacity, same footprint Truma unit? If so, does it have heat exchange setting and/or a sleep mode fan setting? I wonder if those features would require replacing or seriously reprogramming the controller.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    If you mean does it have an increased capacity for cooling, yes. And the footprint is identical to the Air 8. Can't speak for the Truma unit...not familiar with it other than online pictures. 

No heat pump. And frankly why would you need one? The Alde 3020 is a stellar and much quieter unit. Don't know if there's a "sleep" mode, per se. That said if the fan is in "Auto" and you've set the temp appropriately, the compressor AND the fan will cycle together. If you leave the fan in Manual mode, the fan will run constantly even if the compressor cycles. During the day that's a good thing...at night, perhaps not depending on how many sheep you can count!  ;)
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Alde 3020 has an automatic setback setting for nighttime or whenever. You set the hours and the temp you want to set back to. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @Verna
    Yes. I was making a clearly awkward and unclear attempt to say at this time I don't know if the Air 8 Plus panel reconfiguration has a similar setting. But as mentioned, you can put the unit in Auto mode and both the compressor and fan will cycle together during the night.

Sorry that wasn't as clearly stated as it should have been! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com