Options

Disillusioned - No Longer

2Jills2Jills Member Posts: 8
edited August 2020 in Introductions

So last week we bought our first RV...a brand new 2020 Tab 400. We were really excited about this new adventure and couldn’t wait to set out. We had the Tab in the yard for a few days prepping it and all seemed just fine. But that was not the case and we are pretty angry right about now. 

Day one of our maiden voyage was perfect. Camped at a very nice place in Quebec. Connected to shore power, ran AC all night because it was very hot and humid.  It was a great first experience. 

Day two started early and so did the troubles.  Some are likely self inflicted, some are not. 

1. My brand new and expensive brake controller stopped working. No signals to the trailer. A three hour white knuckle nighttime drive to get to the nearest RV Care place solved nothing. We finally found a mechanic who installed a new controller and that seems to be working fine now.  My RV dealer did not install the controller so I can’t really fault them. However, they did not confirm it was working properly during orientation and delivery so I have to hold them at least partially at fault. 
  2. The first night we were connected to shore power but the next night we were on a Walmart lot near the RV Care place. When we parked after driving most of the day I discovered the batteries were down to 50%. I had expected the solar to generate some charge and the the TV to at least maintain the battery level. But it looks like no charge came from the TV during the day and no difference on day three. I’ve confirmed that a 12 v signal is being sent to the Tab so it’s possible I’ve blown a fuse?  Another factor, due to problem #3, we have to run the fridge off 12 v. So I’m sure that had an impact. 
  3. We have the three way fridge and cannot get it to run off propane. The LP is full but nothing is going to the fridge and I don’t have enough battery to run it. I can’t check the cooktop for LP flow because we didn’t bring a lighter. The manual for the fridge is severely lacking in advice on this so I don’t know what to do next. 
  4. The rear camera monitor stopped working for a while but then it decided I had been put through enough and started working again and has been fine ever since. 
  5. The solar seems to be working but either it’s too cloudy or the panels don’t generate enough energy to replenish the batteries quickly.  And I have no idea how to read the app so that’s a work in progress. 
  6. Since I have no power, that means I have no coffee. That makes me very cranky. 

If anyone can offer me some advice I would be most thankful. I’m really disappointed in this first experience.   If I’ve cause the issue through rookie mistakes then that’s fine and I’ll take my lumps. But the propane and battery issues really bug me. 

2020 T@b 400, Build Date 10/2019
Norcold 3-Way Refrigerator, Factory Victron Solar
2019 Honda Ridgeline

Comments

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    A rough start but no doubt it will get better as you move along.

Bummer about your controller. What did you have initially and what do you have installed now? To your point, not a nuCamp issue but nonetheless frustrating. Glad it's up and running.

Assume you're talking about Victron factory installed solar? There are some reports that the controller (below the bed in the front-center section) had wiring issues and/or a fuse issue. The fuse should be a black rectangular box inserted in the green (?) wire connected to the controller. Which controller do you have? Likely the 75/15. Check the Victron website for info on the app or check out several You Tube videos on the subject. They're straight-forward. BTW, be sure your Battery switch is on when travelling as it is required to ensure your emergency braking operates properly. Typically, the Victron bypasses the Battery switch so it should trickle charge the battery. Is it possible the battery was drained at the dealer without your knowledge? When was the first time you checked the battery status? And the Victron will take quite a while to "recharge" a battery that is 50% depleted. Hopefully such a discharge state doesn't harm you two 6V Golf AGM batteries as they don't like being drained significantly. If the batteries are still discharged, perhaps you put them on a 110V charger designed for AGM batteries to get them up to snuff. And yes...running the fridge on 12V is the biggest drain on your battery. 

To run on propane the 3-way should be very close to level. These units are a bit less sensitive to that than in past years but nonetheless should be level. Open propane tank (might seem obvious but ensure it's producing gas), open your stove and light it. That will draw gas thru the lines. Addtional troubleshooting threads on this forum as well. 

The rear view camera is a bit of a budget model and I know mine drops out from time to time then comes back on its own. It's a gremlin...there are after-market options there.

Solar is of course subject to...solar radiation. If it's heavy overcast the Victron will not produce significant charge to replentish a highly discharged battery system.

ARGH...no coffee! Yeah...that's crankiness to the highest order! 

There are some serious SME's on this forum who can/will no doubt enlighted you (and me!) further. Hang in there...this too shall pass!  

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    edited July 2020
    If something is running the trailer, such as the fridge or fan....the little "push button" monitor inside the trailer will always read low.  Try to find the Victron app and see what your voltage reads.  You might get a much better idea with the app.  Try to have as many power using items in the trailer off when you look at the voltage.  Link to the Victron App.
    PS: sounds like you have the Victron app.....send us a picture of your screen.
    PSS:  Welcome to the Forums.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I hope I didn’t sound too down on the whole thing. It’s disappointing for sure but better days ahead. 

@AirBoss. My original controller was a Curt Spectrum. I liked it because I could install it easily with no damage to the dash of my leased Honda Ridgeline. By the time I found someone who was willing to talk to me I didn’t care what they did. I ended up with a Pog controller. Simple device that seems to do the job. 

I haven’t looked under the bed but the victron app says I have the 75/15.  I’ll check the fuse tomorrow. 

@Dutch061 what you are saying makes perfect sense. I’ll use your suggestions tomorrow as well. 

@pthomas745 it’s interesting that the battery check panel seems to be so inaccurate. What’s the point of putting it there?  I have the app installed and will read through the link you sent. 
    2019 Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    Oh, and BTW...it helps others to troubleshoot if you show your exact model and TV info in your signature line. 

nuCamp is not immune to making changes mid-production cycle. 

Cheers,
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Sorry to hear you are off to a rough start!

I am wondering if the TV wiring is right. If you were having trouble with the brake controller, and the fridge was running off of battery and TV was not charging the battery, that would explain how your battery became so run down.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    edited July 2020
    If you've never owned an RV before, it's ambitious to set out on a long journey after just a couple of days of ownership. In this forum it's been recommended over and over again that it's best to start with short trips close to home or even driveway camping. While it's possible that there could be some issue with the trailer itself (such as solar system not wired correctly), it seems like most of your issues are probably due to user error or maybe even your 7pin connector not being wired correctly. I can see why you're disappointed but I don't understand the "angry." It seems like you took off on a trip before you were ready.

1. Unless it was agreed with the NuCamp dealer that they would check it for you, I don't think that it's fair to blame them for the brake controller issue. Take it up with whoever installed it.
    2. The 3way fridge is a hog when you run it on 12v DC (battery).  Running the fridge nonstop on DC power is likely to cause issues even if everything is wired correctly.
    3. Clearly you need to get the propane sorted out. Get a lighter. Try lighting the stove. If the stove won't light, close the propane valve, wait a minute or two and then SLOWLY reopen it. Once you have the stove working you can tackle the fridge. Pull out the manual for the fridge and read it front to back.
    5. You need to learn how to read the Victron app. You need to understand how much power your solar system is generating so you can know how much power you can consume. You need to keep an eye on your batteries and not let them go below 50%.
    6. Ditch the electric coffee maker. Unless you have an inverter (possible) it will only run on shore power. And even if you have an inverter it's a power hog. Get a coffee maker (drip, french press) that will work with boiling water from the stove.

If you're not on your way home, I'd suggest that you find a place to camp with electricity so that you can recharge your batteries and sort out your other issues.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    2Jills said:
    Thanks everyone. I hope I didn’t sound too down on the whole thing. It’s disappointing for sure but better days ahead. 

@AirBoss. My original controller was a Curt Spectrum. I liked it because I could install it easily with no damage to the dash of my leased Honda Ridgeline. By the time I found someone who was willing to talk to me I didn’t care what they did. I ended up with a Pog controller. Simple device that seems to do the job. 

I haven’t looked under the bed but the victron app says I have the 75/15.  I’ll check the fuse tomorrow. 

@Dutch061 what you are saying makes perfect sense. I’ll use your suggestions tomorrow as well. 

@pthomas745 it’s interesting that the battery check panel seems to be so inaccurate. What’s the point of putting it there?  I have the app installed and will read through the link you sent. 
    Virtually all RV's have the standard systems panel...battery, H2O, Grey, and Black water levels. The battery indicator is not very reliable so use your app. Other than installing a more robust monitor (mentioned in the link here below), that's the best way to gauge how your 12V is doing. As mentioned, pull up a few videos on You Tube (here's one) that walks you thru the Victron App. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Your main is issue is trying to run the 3-way fridge on 12VDC, this just does not work very well with any 3-way fridge, and it eats up a lot of battery power trying to make it work.  Your solar is not going to keep up,with the heavy load of the 3-way fridge, neither will the TV, a Marceline has pointed out.  Also, AirBoss is correct, the refrig will not light up and run on propane, unless you have the trailer level, they are very picky.

Sorry you are having issues, but this is what a two-day shake down cruise close to home is for, to learn what to do, and how to use the new trailer, and check,out that the trailer is working properly.  We camped about 25-miles from home the first time, so if we forgot something or had issues, home was close by to return to.
    The 
    A little homework here first would also have been a good idea, to learn from others who have a similar rig.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    I think the newer panels have the KIB monitors, which are quite "cryptic."  It isn't that they are inaccurate, they just take some thought to figure out what they are trying to tell you.  Practically every battery monitor will have issues telling you what the voltage might be, even the Victron.    A battery in use will always show a lower reading.  If you were running a high power use fridge for example, the monitor would make it seem your battery state is lower than it really is. 
    And, coffee......OMG,  I understand.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    1991sb1991sb Member Posts: 27
    I’m a newbie to RVs myself, but I can help you out with the coffee problem for future trips:  The AeroPress travel coffee press is lightweight, compact, easy to use, and will make cold brew as well as hot if you have no way to heat the water.  Good luck sorting everything out.  Wishing you happy camping and fresh coffee every morning from here on out!
    Sharon
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YVL8SF3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Bill & Sharon
    New Mexico
    2021 T@B 320s (“T@Bañita”)
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock (“Redwing”)
    2020 Subaru Ascent (“Bubbles”)
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    The shakedown cruise can be eye opening. These trailers are a step up from the simple Shasta rigs our parents dragged behind the family wagon. There is definitely a learning curve. With each adventure you learn a few more things and bring a few more things along..to the point where you eventually realize you have too much stuff and start leaving things behind. 
    You had the right idea camping in the yard for a few days. We also did that. It made a big difference in our understanding of what we needed but that still didn't keep us from making the most grand mistake of all, no TP. Luckily there was a store nearby.
    Mellitta pour-over and good beans....makes the best coffee and has the easiest clean-up. 
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    1991sb said:
    I’m a newbie to RVs myself, but I can help you out with the coffee problem for future trips:  The AeroPress travel coffee press is lightweight, compact, easy to use, and will make cold brew as well as hot if you have no way to heat the water.  Good luck sorting everything out.  Wishing you happy camping and fresh coffee every morning from here on out!
    Sharon
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YVL8SF3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I have a similar type press, but it uses K-Cups.  
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    tabiphile said:

You had the right idea camping in the yard for a few days. We also did that. It made a big difference in our understanding of what we needed but that still didn't keep us from making the most grand mistake of all, no TP. Luckily there was a store nearby.
    I don’t think that “We had the Tab in the yard for a few days prepping it” necessarily means they camped in it. Sounds more like packing. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    I will add a word of caution about the propane tank.  Modern tanks have a safety mechanism built into them that will shut down the flow of gas if it detects no initial pressure.  That can come when a tank valve is opened quickly into a previously unpressurized line.  Be sure and SLOWLY open the tank valve to be sure the safety isn’t tripped.  This could be a reason for no or at least insufficient propane to your camper.
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 260
    @warbler_road - I love that crossstitch reminder! We need that and one that says something like “SMILE-you’re making memories!” Or “SMILE-think of how funny this will sound when you retell it later!”

mer

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    TNOutback said:
    I will add a word of caution about the propane tank.  Modern tanks have a safety mechanism built into them that will shut down the flow of gas if it detects no initial pressure.  That can come when a tank valve is opened quickly into a previously unpressurized line.  Be sure and SLOWLY open the tank valve to be sure the safety isn’t tripped.  This could be a reason for no or at least insufficient propane to your camper.
    Also will trip the safety  in the regulator if a valve is open on a device i.e. a stove burner valve is on when you open the tank valve.  Found that out the hard way with the grill on my patio! 
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Good tips all.

@2Jills

And no need to open the tank valve all the way...it doesn't "increase" the flow of gas. Just a half turn or so. If something does sideways and you need to shut off the flow of gas to the rig, you don't want to be standing next to the tank turning the valve repeatedly. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    That was a good idea, @ScottG.  Thank you!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I would like to address some information that was offered earlier in this thread. That In my MHO I feel is incorrect. It was stated that propane fridge would not light if it is not level. It will light but it will not cool properly if at all if you are not fairly close to level. It was also stated that it was not necessary to open the valve completely. The valve needs to be open completely in order to allow the proper volume of gas to reach all appliances. If I recall the tank valves are double seated in the full open and closed position.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I will gladly stand corrected RE: how far to open the tank valve. 

I was brought up in a family of firefighters and it was stressed that there's no need to open the valve 100%. Just makes it more threatening to life if you have to close it in an emergency.

If that is not accepted practice, good to know!

Thanks @Dalehelman
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @Dalehelman I always had trouble getting the three way fridfe to light, too, when not level. I don't miss the three-way fridge!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    schoutschout Member Posts: 29
    @2Jills  Hang in there!  There's a lot of systems to learn being new to owning a trailer.  (We're new too.)  I second those who said get a coffee solution that doesn't depend on shore power.  I love my camping french press!  
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2020 Toyota Highlander
  • Options
    Do like the press method...but let's not forget what we USED to do back in the day...
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    To me it's the not knowing that is the most frustrating.  By turning to the forum you'll find solid answers from people that have been there, done that.  Your newbie experience will benefit someone else down the road.  Smile.  Your gonna love your t@b.
    2016 cs-s max
  • Options
    So I’ve had a few days to rest, reflect and debug. I believe I have all my problems worked out with the exception of my need to complain on this forum when I’m tired and frustrated 😁. I shouldn’t do that. 

I agree a short test trip should have been first but circumstances did not afford that to us. But at the same time this was kind of a shake down trip. We only planned to camp two nights while driving to our summer cottage. I know it’s not a true shake down trip where you stay close to home but it’s better than setting out on a multi-week camping trip. 

As for the problems, the brake controller was frustrating but clearly not Nucamp’s fault. And it was really bad luck that it failed so early. Chalk it up to experience and move on. 

I think the battery issue was entirely self inflicted. I must have misunderstood the tech during orientation and ran it entirely on 12v when not connected to shore power. We also had the cooling set too low. The solar and car just were not able to keep up. 

I was able to get the refrigerator running on propane. I leveled the trailer and tested the cooktop. That worked fine. Then I turned the refrigerator on and switched it to propane. I immediately heard it clicking while trying to light the pilot. After a few seconds it started and all was fine. When trying this previously I did not hear any clicking and it immediately showed the error code. Don’t know why, maybe because it wasn’t level or maybe the propane had not made it through line yet. 

I’m getting a better understanding of the solar functionality. And I’m seriously looking into coffee alternatives. 

Thanks everyone for the input. We love our Tab and look forward to many years of exploring. 
    2019 Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @2Jills
    Good on you...onward! I'm still learning two truisms in life. Never, ever, post to a social media forum before you've had two cups of coffee...or after you'e had two cocktails!  ;)  Someday...
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    @2Jills - I don’t know about you, but I learn an awful lot when something goes wrong.  All part of the learning curve.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio