Water Pump Sounds

My water pump started sounding different recently and wondering if this is normal or something that needs to be corrected.

Usually, when I turn on a faucet on full, pump runs continuously.  If turn on a faucet partially, pump turns on after a short time (Seems like it comes on when the water pressure drops to a certain point).

A few days ago this changed.  Faucet on full, sounds the same.  Faucet on partially, immediately pump turns on, but intermittent on and off continuously.  We're still getting water, but is this something to be concerned about?
2022 Tab 320 Boondock
2011 Toyota Sienna

Comments

• Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    As you describe it, I don't think that's something I would worry about as long as you still get the same water pressure when you ask for it. I think there is a small filter on the pump itself, maybe check if it needs cleaning?
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Dame_plumeDame_plume Member Posts: 75
    I would definitely start by adding more water in your tank.  If it does not fix it, I would think air bubble.  Good luck!

Sylvie and Mike, Ontario, Canada / 2020 Tab 320S (Charlie) / 2021 Chevrolet Colorado LT (V6) Enhanced Towing Package
    "The only place where you start at the top is when you dig a hole"
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited August 2022
    Intermittent running is often a sign of an air bubble, a leak, or something in the pump filter. Tighten the connection to the pump first, check the filter next & the faucet connections, fill the water system completely, run faucet wide open for a minute or two to shift any bubbles. If none of that works, check all visible plumbing connections.

In my case, it was the hand tight connection to the pump that would loosen. A bit of plumbers’ thread tape has eliminated that.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • TravelPodTravelPod Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the input.
    Update, on the second last day of my 16 day trip, pump stopped delivering water all together.  Filter was clear.  Tried to prime the pump/eliminate air bubbles.  Unsuccessful.  Fortunately, my last campsite had water hook up so I finished the trip with water.  Even after using the water hook up, pump still didn't work, figured the hook up should help force any air bubbles out.

A week later after I returned home, tried priming and the pump and eliminating possible air bubbles for about half an hour, all of a sudden pump started to work.  Who knows?
    2022 Tab 320 Boondock
    2011 Toyota Sienna
  • TravelPodTravelPod Member Posts: 14
    Just a follow up.  I didn't have anymore trips this year, but when I took my trailer in to my dealership for some warranty work, I asked them to winterize it as well.  Apparently water pump stopped working again and they ended up replacing it.
    2022 Tab 320 Boondock
    2011 Toyota Sienna
  • jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 270
    FYI, Alde recommends keeping an air cushion in the water system to soften the impact of water pressure changes. Also, I live in my T@B, I use the water pump exclusively everyday and replaced the water pump twice in two years. With the third pump I also installed a Shurflo accumulator. It greatly smoothed out the water pump operation. I believe it will lengten the water pump's life too.
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • xdrxdr Member Posts: 259
    What is the purpose of the Shurflo accumulator? 

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,268
    edited December 2022
    @xdr
    What does a SHURflo accumulator do?
    The SHURflo Accumulator tank is a bladder type pressure storage vessel and/or pulsation-dampening device designed to
    hold water under pressure. The accumulator tank provides additional water storage to assist the pump in meeting the total demands of the system.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

The accumulator recommended by @jimcenname, looks like it could work well for water pump noise. I only found one other reference here on the forum. Anyone else using one (or a similar device) have any comments?
    Stockton, New Jersey

• rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 899
    The newest models are using a Surflo pump that claims to not require an accumulator.   This mod made a big difference in our 2009 CS - 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8131/pulsing-water-flow-fix

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited December 2022
    Whilst the newer pumps may not require an accumulator tank, it can only help any water system using a pump to get pressure to the taps.  

We have our own water source, storage tanks and water treatment systems.  We use larger accumulator tanks at all pump locations, which includes the pump to get water from a spring box type well to the storage tank, and from the tank to pressurize the household water lines.  Without the accumulator tanks, the pumps would be working much harder to keep up the demand, and coming on more often.  
    Once the accumulator tanks is filled by the pump, and the desire pressure is reached, the pump shuts off, and the tank continues to pressurize the water lines, until it’s internal pressure drops below the pump setting, then the pump comes on and starts the cycle again.  

Without the tank, the pump would be running the entire time a tap was opened.  I shutter to think how much that would cost with an increase in electrical demand and more wear to the pumps, which are not constant demand pumps, designed to work continuously.  

Adding a small accumulator tank to our TaB400 is next on our list before the next camping season, which will see us primarily boondocking and using the water pump more…
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 342
    I installed a shurflo about a year ago. 2020 320S. Significant noise reduction and better pump operation. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
    @YanniLazarus We also have a 2020 320S. This location looks a lot easier to install than trying to work in the compartment where the pump is. The only downside I could see is losing some storage. Was there a reason that you didn't put it by the pump? 
    Stockton, New Jersey

• kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    The only catch on mounting it horizontally or with the air valve on the bottom is that it will not drain completely when winterizing.  Horizontally, it may drain enough to allow expansion of the residual water if it freezes, I don't know.

Doug
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 899
    edited December 2022
    kottum said:
    The only catch on mounting it horizontally or with the air valve on the bottom is that it will not drain completely when winterizing.  Horizontally, it may drain enough to allow expansion of the residual water if it freezes, I don't know.

Doug
    The Surflo accumulator is a bladder based pressure storage tank and can be mounted in any position.  It will expel virtually all contents when the system is depressurized. 

• kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Quoted from the SuFlo accumulator.pdf:

• Can be mounted in any position. However, for complete sanitizing/winterizing, the recommended mounting position is with pre-charge valve stem up. Do not freeze or mount near a high heat source.  

Doug

Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 342
    edited January 2023
    AnOldUR said:
    @YanniLazarus We also have a 2020 320S. This location looks a lot easier to install than trying to work in the compartment where the pump is. The only downside I could see is losing some storage. Was there a reason that you didn't put it by the pump? 
    Easy for me to put it where I did- and didn't block any of the items I store there. Mostly, though...I already installed a camco winterizing valve next to the pump, which required that I relocate the pump a few inches to the side to make room for the valve- so really no room there for me. 

I also really wanted to install it in a way that didn't complicate winterizing. Since I use antifreeze the sure flo gets water flushed out and filled with antifreeze as I winterize the way I always have. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT