Options

Alde Freight Train (Alde 3010 model)

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

Pancho - thanks for the very informative photos and captions. Can't wait to see the install photos and your comments!

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Excellent answer to the problem @Pancho_n_Lefty . Thank you!
    I can't seem to find where you ordered it from. Can you share the link?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    sqrpegsqrpeg Member Posts: 59
    Thanks, @Pancho_n_Lefty, for taking the time to create and share such a detailed and thorough report! I look forward to hearing how the install goes this weekend.

Is it too late to claim (provisional) dibs on @jbh's offered switch?  :)
    2018 320S Boondock | 2018 Ford Escape Titanium
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    The general consensus is...there is no consensus.  Some people have the problem, some don’t.  Even happens with some Airstream/Alde owners per Alde Technical in Vancouver.  The issue isn’t just gas pressure, but the fuel:air mixture.  Higher altitude = less air = rich mixture. Same thing happens with the Norcold hence the two vents on the front of every T@B. 

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Pancho_n_LeftyPancho_n_Lefty Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2018
    UPDATE: The installation of the high altitude switch will require a couple SAE to Metric adapters and an 8mm copper pipe. *Or 5/16" (5/16" works as proven by our "leakless" install.)   Neither are widely available stateside. *(They are available stateside, but may not be readily available in common big box stores, etc.)  Our pipefitter friend has some sources through which he believes he can get them. We'll post a more thorough update when we have more answers.

Cheers!

2004 Chevy Silverado: "Pancho" & 2018 T@B Outback: "Lefty"
  • Options
    Too bad an SAE valve isn't available wherein the two orifices could be drilled to the correct Alde diameters.
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I tried to order the valve from accross the pond.  Out of stock for about a week.  Expensive with expensive shipping.  I do have access to metric fittings where I work in Canada.  Some equipment is metric and some is imperial.
    I find it hard to believe that a low pressure bronze valve requires the approval of some bureaucrat before we can have it in the USA.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    @Pancho_n_Lefty

Have you check Fastenal for the correct fittings? I checked online and they offer many different 8mm fittings.

I have also ordered the valve and will be going this route also, l myself rather the gas be feed properly at higher elevations, but still able to not be too lean at lower elevations via the valve versus if the regulator was swapped.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Quick Update:  Full write up to follow...

The switch is installed and working!  We will post a more detailed account and pictures/video of the final result by the end of the week.  We didn't photo document the process step by step, but it should be pretty easy to understand once we post the video. 

We had to purchase 30' of the 5/16" copper tubing (which is close enough to work with the 8mm ferules as proven by our install not leaking), and a few extra fittings/adapters.  As a result we may post them in "kit" form in the for sale area next week as long as it doesn't break forum rules.

We have a video we will edit that describes the install and also has clips of the alde running in high altitude mode and low altitude mode at ~6,000' elevation so you can hear the difference.  It is now wonderfully quiet, and with quick/easy access to the switch for those cross country trips!

We are stoked this is no longer an issue, wish it were done this way from the factory but what can you do. 

Cheers!
  • Options
    @Pancho_n_Lefty, that's an excellent alternative!
    So you have just a little bit extra 5/8" copper, eh? A 'kit' sounds like a great idea.
    Keep us posted...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Here is a link to the video overview of the Alde High Altitude Switch install in our 2017 T@b 320 S Boondock.

Parts Included in order FROM Alde TO stock propane hose that was disconnected from Alde before install:

• 3/8" flare to 3/8" flare fitting connected to:
    • 3/8" flare x 1/4" Female Iron Pipe Adapter connected to:
    • 1/4" Male Iron Pipe Adapter x 5/16" Compression Fitting connected to:
    • 5/16" OD copper pipe.

1. Connected to Alde High Altitude Switch with 8mm compression fittings. (they work with the 5/16" OD copper pipe)

• Connected to short tube of 5/16" OD copper pipe connected to:
    • 5/16" compression fitting x 1/4" Male Iron Pipe Adapter connected to:
    • 1/4" Female Iron Pipe Adapter x 3/8" Flare fitting:
    • Connected to stock propane hose that was originally connected directly to the Alde.
    Here's a Fuzzy picture of the install.  Not the best.  When we go out next week I'll take some better photos.  Also, We plan on cleaning up all that factory wiring sometime soon.

We disconnected that white plug from the wall to move the orange electric cable below it as it was where the high altitude switch is now.  Also, We'll probably get a little electrical box to go over that plug just for added safety.

It works amazing & you can definitely hear the difference in the video which is at approximately 6,000' elevation.  Plus, this switch and the fittings are all located under the driver side cushion and need no tools to access.

The fittings were all marked with nail polish after testing for leaks with bubbles so we can see if they loosen down the road and tighten them accordingly.

We have a good amount of these fittings left because we couldn't buy them individually.  I think we have enough for 4 "kits" if anyone is interested.  I think they would be around $40 for all the fittings/adapters and the pre-bent copper tubing.  PM us if this is something anyone is interested in.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    Sent a PM, I am interested in a set of fittings.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    Glad you got it working Pancho.  Based on my low level of plumbing skills, I know at least 6 of those 8 connections would leak.  What a shame Alde doesn't make a valve that fits with only two connections for the US market. 
  • Options
    CanyonTravelersCanyonTravelers Member Posts: 40

In looking at your install, I take it that the fittings on both sides of the valve are the same. Couldn’t you have just duplicated the “stock connection” of the valve and just run black LP rubber hose straight to the furnace, like it originally was connected?

• Options

In looking at your install, I take it that the fittings on both sides of the valve are the same. Couldn’t you have just duplicated the “stock connection” of the valve and just run black LP rubber hose straight to the furnace, like it originally was connected?

Not our specialty, but per our pipefitter friend:

"You still have to get from 5/16" compression to 3/8" flare.  I have never seen an adapter of that sort.  I have always had to make one up.  Copper tubing is the preferred use for propane.  That's why it's code for residential propane supply piping.

That's not to say you can't use lpg rubber or even polyethylene tubing.  Copper running and the fittings are what is readily available to me and what I am familiar with."
  • Options
    Is it possible to have two custom hoses made from rubber?  One from the black pipe under the trailer to the new valve, and the other from the new valve to the Alde.  This would be only four fittings to mess with.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Tabaz said:
    Is it possible to have two custom hoses made from rubber?  One from the black pipe under the trailer to the new valve, and the other from the new valve to the Alde.  This would be only four fittings to mess with.
     Ultimately, you have to get from 8mm (5/16") compression fitting to 3/8" flare fitting on each side of the high altitude switch.  The propane side (that is connected directly to the Alde from the factory) is already flexible tubing with a 3/8" female flare fitting.
  • Options

Hmmmm, I probably didn’t explain my thought very well.

What you have done was to move the original black gas hose from the heater to your adaptor assembly on the right side of the valve. I was thinking about just duplicating the entire right assembly for the left side of the valve, then just use a short length of 3/8 double ended female black gas hose back to the heater. This eliminates the bent copper gas line that could get knocked when you reach down to open the low drain valves.  Just a thought…

• Options
    edited March 2018

Hmmmm, I probably didn’t explain my thought very well. [. . .]

Gotchya.  So the right assembly is a duplication of the left sided assembly as installed in our camper.  The difference is we just put a short piece of copper tubing on the right side of the assembly instead of the long bent piece on the left.  So, you could shorten up the copper tubing on the left and then try and find/create another whip like propane connection to connect from there to the alde.

I imagine this will come down to personal preference regarding location of the switch, available space & parts as well as comfort level of install work.

Cheers!
  • Options
    Actually I was thinking on duplicating the right side for the left, then using a short length of double ended female 3/8” black flexable gas line to make the connection back to the heater. It would be like putting the valve between the flexable gas line.  They sell double end female hose on line.
  • Options
    Actually I was thinking on duplicating the right side for the left [. . .]
    Think we're saying the same thing.  Your setup as described above would be the same as ours just with shorter copper connections on BOTH sides of the valve.  Adding the flexible gas line would only add one extra connection.
  • Options
    Yes, now I wish there was an easier way to order the valve...
  • Options

Pancho said:

"Ultimately, you have to get from 8mm (5/16") compression fitting to 3/8" flare fitting on each side of the high altitude switch.  The propane side (that is connected directly to the Alde from the factory) is already flexible tubing with a 3/8" female flare fitting."

Is it possible to order these hoses with the two fittings you described?  One end on each hose would have the stock 3/8" flare fitting and the other end the 5/16" compression fitting that would replace the compression nuts on the valve itself.

• Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    Tabaz:  When my valve comes, I am going to try a couple of hose suppliers in Phoenix to see if I can do this with one adapter and a short hose.  I'll post if I am able to work something out.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    jbhjbh Member Posts: 7
    For you guys that are looking at installation of the "Alde High Altitude Switch" you should take a look at a recent posting by "Pete B55" on page 41of the Airstream forum site called "Much Ado about Alde".......

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f540/much-ado-about-alde-162472-41.html

The gentleman details his experience in obtaining adapters from eBay that allowed him to convert each end of the Alde switch back to conventional US flare fittings. This eliminated the need for the 5/16" copper line and the compression fittings. There's also an excellent picture of the finished installation.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    We are camping at 6000 feet in S. Utah with the factory installed high altitude mod.  We hear a very loud hum inside the TaB and a loud clunk when the Alde turns on and off.  For those of you with the high altitude mod installed, had this been your experience?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Sam - I have the extra "high altitude" propane regulator installed.  I too notice a discernible "clunk" sound when the unit kicks on and off.  This at an elevation of only 1,300 feet.
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    I camp regularly around 8000-10000ft. and have the high altitude regulator installed.  I do not experience the loud clunk.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    At the risk of showing my ignorance on the topic. It appears to me that the Alde high altitude switch simply changes the oriface size of the gas line? If that is correct couldn’t you simply install a gas shut off valve inline to the Alde, and at high altitudes close the valve partially until the rumble just fades away?  Variable oriface size for various elevations. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    I think I like @Normfun's suggestion.

I looked into the switch from Alde Europe. The cost with shipping is nearly $200.... 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya