Options

Alde Freight Train (Alde 3010 model)

Comments

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    edited July 2017
    @DurangoTaB - your hose is routed differently?  I would expect that depending on the year and features (tanks, etc.).  The fitting at the Alde should require TWO wrenches - an 18mm to hold the Alde fitting and a 3/4 SAE for the hose.  Yours has a 3/4" fitting on both?
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    @ColoradoJon ...I stand corrected; the Alde fitting is indeed 18mm on the Svedish side, 3/4 SAE (OD) for the hose.  Here's the hose routing...only slightly different.  It puts the hose behind the furnace offset (in the other bay), making it a little hard to reach around and pull it through, so I suspect they changed it to make for easier, and less bendy, routing.  BTW, that dual 3/8in hose replacement was hard to find; I found a supplier in Sedona...replacement due here tomorrow.  They only had 2ft and 5ft lengths; I'm pretty sure 2ft will work.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    @DurangoTaB - thanks for clarifying!  I hope it works out for you like it did for me!  Sorry for all of your trouble, it seems you've had the hardest time of all of us.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Yay!  Success!  I got the 2ft hose in the mail early today (which tucked up there nicely), and took about 3hrs to install and test it.  It took a couple tries (getting past the "red light") to get gas into the line, but at least at 7,000ft it purrs like one of our cats (vs. the rumble-butt massage we used to get).  Thanks to ColoradoJon, Scott H, and many others who helped bring this to a happy ending...

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    Excellent!  Glad it worked out, finally :)
  • Options
    While I'm glad it's over (I'm pretty sure it's over), I am a little concerned about the tag that was on the regulator (see below).  We live in a VERY dusty area, so I'm wondering if I may need to crawl underneath to check if this exposed regulator is getting covered or not.  The tag implies the regulator could even be installed inside, but my suggestion to NuCamp would be to find a way to install it in the tongue box and run its own line to the Alde.

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    I think if you have the corrugated under-liner it should be fine.  Without the liner I would be concerned.  Personally I wouldn't take the chance on an interior install but I like the idea of mounting it in the tongue box and running its own line.
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    Yay!  Success!  I got the 2ft hose in the mail early today (which tucked up there nicely), and took about 3hrs to install and test it.  It took a couple tries (getting past the "red light") to get gas into the line, but at least at 7,000ft it purrs like one of our cats (vs. the rumble-butt massage we used to get).  Thanks to ColoradoJon, Scott H, and many others who helped bring this to a happy ending...

is that a steel pipe on yours that runs the length of your Tab?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    On the left is the transverse rear frame member, that gray thing in back is the gray water tank.  We have a 2014/15 model (5gal interior FW tank, 18gal gray water tank).

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    @ColoradoJon...I'm trying to find out from Marvin if I can retrofit the corrugated liner (don't know what I shouldn't be able to...

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    @DurangoTaB - ah, yeah, without the liner it could collect dirt and water back there.  And as @dsatwork mentioned you have black pipe on your trailer!  Mine is rubber flex hose that runs all the way from the main regulator to the Alde unit.
  • Options
    @ColoradoJon Actually the hose from the regulator goes to one in three out connector. Fridge, stove and Alde. At least that is the configuration my 2017 320S
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    Ah, gotcha.  My view all the way from the back was rather limited :)
  • Options
    Ah, gotcha.  My view all the way from the back was rather limited :)
    you have to pull the cover off the bucket end of the Tab to see the 3-way connector. It bolted to the frame. 
  • Options
    1222tmiller1222tmiller Member Posts: 9
    What about something like this to control between high altitude and low for all the systems?  In the box?

https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-70-600-Bronze-Valve-Diverting/dp/B000R8EZSS/ref=

• Options
    Alde and NuCamp originally proposed a bypass for "low altitude"operation, but found the Alde works well at all altitudes/elevations with the high altitude mod...

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    Alde and NuCamp originally proposed a bypass for "low altitude"operation, but found the Alde works well at all altitudes/elevations with the high altitude mod...
    I live at sea level and it works fine and have done the high altitude mod and it works fine at sea level...This is a verified user.
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    So as not to bother Marvin, would the next person talking to Marvin ask about using the low pressure regulator in place of the normal regulator during manufacturing or retrofit.  This would remove all the extra labor and parts to install the High altitude kit.  I don't see any issue with the cook stove and the 400 does not currently have a 3 way fridge.  Thanks!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    Thanks so much to @ColoradoJon for the pdf to fix my Alde.  We did the fix today and we used your notes step by step and I really want to thank you for your precise detailed instructions for the installation.    Oh my, I didn't know the Alde was suppose to sound so quiet. It just purred.   I had to have my husband stand by the exhaust and put his hand on it to tell me (inside) that it was running.  Just Amazing. Also as DurangoTaB has mentioned the regulator paper that was attached, has concerns for keeping the vent clean.  I guess we'll be dropping the undercover to make sure it isn't collecting junk, because there is a slight opening at the under frame area.  that will be an easy thing to do.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I am letting you folks get it all worked out before I work on mine. :) Keep up the good work.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @gbell - welcome, glad it worked out!  I had the same reaction after the install - "Is this thing running??".  Ha!
  • Options
    DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 81
    Got my  high altitude kit... missing half the parts and the regulator appears to be used.  The knob on top looks like someone adjusted it with a pair of pliers.  Is this just adjustment, or did they send me a used regulator?
    2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • Options
    Looks fishy...very odd.  I'd contact Marvin.  Don't mess around with propane...

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 81
    edited July 2017
    Talked to Marvin about chewed up regulator cap.  He said that they have to adjust the screw under the cap and it is a new adjusted regulator.  Installed it yesterday.  Since I was missing one mounting plate and leave in 2 days for Yelllowstone, I used 2 3" L brackets ala @Tabaz.  Worked great and doesn't have a gap in the plastic liner.

My Ryobi batteries were dead and while looking online I found a way to bring them back from the dead!  Saved two batteries and many $$.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GfPKg05ZIU

2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    dsatwork said:
    @ColoradoJon Actually the hose from the regulator goes to one in three out connector. Fridge, stove and Alde. At least that is the configuration my 2017 320S
    If the hose from the regulator goes to a "one in - three out" connector, why couldn't the "high altitude" regulator just be attached on the "out" side of the three out connector on the leg that goes to the Alde?
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    @JohnDanielsCPA... seems to me it could...but...you'd have to find a way to mount the 2nd regulator up front (or in the tongue box), then run a new, long, line back and under to the Alde.  I like that as a long term solution since it keeps the regulator more protected (as with the other one). 

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    @JohnDanielsCPA it kinda does...it's one in and three out and it's on the leg going to the back and mounted in the back.
  • Options
    jctangneyjctangney Member Posts: 76
    Should Teflon tape be used on the hose connections?

2016 T@B S Max, near Portland, OR

Photo Galleries www.pbase.com/jctangney

• Options
    You should not have to use teflon tape but you can if you cannot get it to seal.
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I installed mine this weekend.  I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, but it really wasn't that hard.  The worst part was getting the screws off the coroplast liner underneath.  I was surprised to see a significant amount of dirt inside on the liner.  Hopefully, that will not cause problems with the regulator?  I drive a lot of back country, dirt roads.  I'll "foam" some cracks to reduce dirt inflow, but I'm sure I won't be able to eliminate it.  Anyway, the install went well. I bought a bottle of kid bubbles from the Dollar Store and painted them on all the connections to test for leaks.  No bubbles!  For those of you that have been timid about attempting this, I can assure you, I'm an accountant with very little mechanical skills - it really wasn't that tough.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed