Options

Alde Freight Train (Alde 3010 model)

Comments

• Options
    SteveKSteveK Member Posts: 17
    The soot and rumble are indicative of a flame burning too rich (too much propane vs oxygen).  Soot buildup in the Alde or the fridge is not a good thing and will need to be cleaned up to maintain performance and safety.  I wonder if anyone has noticed if the stove or fridge flame is also yellow and flickering or is only the Alde affected.  If the fridge is also a little rich at altitude, it might be easier to just add the extra regulator back at the propane tank rather than the more complex job of splitting the propane supply.  Perhaps someone who camps at altitude could look at the fridge flame when it is running and see if the flame a nice steady blue or if it has some yellow around the edges.

The reason that a regulator is not recommended in an inhabited space is that they include a safety vent to dump excess propane in the event of the tank pressure getting too high.  This can happen if the tank is filled while it is cool and then gets heated by the sun for instance.  Granted, adding a second regulator down stream of the main regulator makes it unlikely that the second regulator will ever see pressures necessary to vent.  However, just because it probably won't happen doesn't mean it can't happen and dumping propane in a tiny trailer right on top of a hot water boiler located under your bed is a terrible idea.
    2018 TAB 320 S and 2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @stevek the regulator fix is below the floor where it will drain out safely if there is a leak.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    SteveKSteveK Member Posts: 17
    I understand that the official fix is the safe way to do it, but some people were looking at just bolting it to the Alde, inside the trailer and I was hoping to discourage that.
    2018 TAB 320 S and 2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T
  • Options
    @SteveK Agreed...... the person that said they had tried put the regulator inside the cabin, came right back on and said he was told by the factory NOT to mount the regulator inside the cabin. There wasn't much detail given as to why, but I suspect it was for all the reasons you pointed aptly pointed out in your post. Thanks for adding clarity to the situation. I'm one of those that likes to understand the whys and whynots.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    Well, I did my Alde regulator upgrade today and have a few pics to share. I was able to mount it with just what the factory provided. They provide the bracket and self drilling screws.

I drilled a hole in the bracket to make the installation a little easier.
    I
    I decided that mounting on the rail with the screws down and laying the corrugated plastic over it shouldn't be a problem 

I used mounting zip ties tie everything up nice and tight.

This is what it looks once you close it up with a little gap that shouldn't be a problem.

I can't really add anything to the installation notes previously mentioned. If there is anything that you would like to know please shoot the questions. In San Diego North County which is pretty much sea level and it heated up fine. I checked all the connections with soapy water and it all looks good.
  • Options
    phulishcatphulishcat Member Posts: 89
    Ok, so I have one of these coming but I was wondering The norcold above 7000 ft had ssues staying lit ans well as a very large yellow flame. I know just after the propane hookup up front there is a large regulator. I want to have install the regulator there and have it on a propane system switch so I can switch between high altitude and low altitude. Do any of you see an issue with doping the entire system to the lower pressure for 7000+ ft ?
  • Options
    Above my pay grade
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Is this regulator kit available from nucamp or is it still in development?  I'm anxious to give it a try.  I camp primarily at 8500 ft. or higher altitude and would really like to give this a shot :)
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    edited May 2017

ColoradoJon said:

Is this regulator kit available from nucamp or is it still in development?  I'm anxious to give it a try.  I camp primarily at 8500 ft. or higher altitude and would really like to give this a shot :)

I contacted the Renee in the warranty department at renee@nucamprv.com. She had to get the OK from Marvin, but they were able to send out the parts last Monday to fix what they acknowledge as the "freight train rattle". I mistakenly discussed with her originally as the "high altitude fix" but they thought I was talking about the refrigerator issue on pre 2017 models.
  • Options
    @dsatwork - thank you!
  • Options

@dsatwork - thank you!

Friday, we are headed to Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore then in to Denver, Summit county and Durango and Sedona AZ...We'll try to post along the way to let everyone know how it's working at higher altitudes.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @dsatwork, Thanks, would be interesting to know!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    dundonsdundons Member Posts: 36
    Dear fix-it people:
    The regulator reduces gas pressure so why not just replace the main factory regulator with this new one at the front tub area of my 2016 CS? 
     2016 T@B CS/ 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Options
    @dundons - because other propane systems in the T@B - Norcold 3-way, stove - require the higher pressure.  The Norcold 3-way is high altitude ready.

Reducing the main pressure at the tank could adversely affect these systems.  I believe there were some threads a while back about the regulators not being adjusted properly by dealers and people were having trouble keeping the stove lit and the Norcolds were hard to light or wouldn't stay lit.
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    This regulator modification is something I need to do for staying warm in Colorado, but will I need to remove it for camping in the Smokies (a lower elevation where it still gets cold)?
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    GrandmasKid said:

This regulator modification is something I need to do for staying warm in Colorado, but will I need to remove it for camping in the Smokies (a lower elevation where it still gets cold)?

No it seems to work fine at lower elevations
  • Options
    rkeeborkeebo Member Posts: 3
    I contacted NuCamp yesterday about this regulator kit, and was told they want $55 + shipping for it. Um, what? My T@b is new 2017, bought in October in Colorado and still under warranty. This sounds like a design defect to me and should be a factory recall. I wonder if the noise is caused by the too-rich mixture (i.e., unburned propane) reaching the hot exhaust pipe and igniting? Doesn't *seem *like a very safe situation.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    It is not a nuCamp issue.  It is an Alde issue.  The version of the Alde that is designed for higher elevations is not approved to be sold in the U.S.  NuCamp has been well informed and has been working with TaB owners to offer a work around.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

rkeebo - I understand your frustration. However, the Freight Train phenomenon does not affect all Alde units.  I know several T@Bs that don't experience any noise at altitude (one was at 10,000 feet with no noise).  Being the first one to install the regulator kit and test it out, I think the $55 cost is reasonable for solving this problem (shipping shouldn't be too much).  I'm basing this comment on the fact I had to spend a bunch of time and effort "fixing" the unbelievably noisy cooling fan on my Norcold refrigerator when I first purchased my "new" trailer (search Noisy Norcold for my story).  These trailers are very well built, but aren't perfect.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tabaz - does it seem to matter if it is a clamshell or non- clamshell re the noise?
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    I'll be finding out if mine is affected at the end of the month, but I wouldn't have a problem paying the $55 to fix it, if that's what it'll take.
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    Sam - interesting question, but I don't have an answer. 
  • Options
    The reason I ask, even though we have only had the Tab a short time and not used it at elevation, we have not experienced any of the annoying noises reported on the forum.  I thought maybe because the water pump sits outside the sleeping area, but the Alde is under the drivers side bench way in the rear.  Just thought maybe some of the noise detection was model related.  Knock wood, we are blessed with a silent Tab.
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    Dstat, when mounting the new regulator with the bracket they provided, do you also need a new or additional propane gas line, that you purchased somewhere? Did you mount on back passenger side?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Moderate problems with the alde on our trip at 8000 to 9000 ft  after our increased exhaust hose size and drilling 3  holes in  exhaust cap. this seems to help a little
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    gbell said:
    Dstat, when mounting the new regulator with the bracket they provided, do you also need a new or additional propane gas line, that you purchased somewhere? Did you mount on back passenger side?
    I'm guessing that you are asking me that question. Everything needed was in the package including the proper length propane hose, regulator and brackets for mounting the regulator. No instructions were included so you need to lean on the forum instructions. I used the included brackets and mounted it right to the frame crossmember but @tabaz made is own brackets out of an aluminum ruler so the mounting holes wouldn't interfere with the corrugated cover. 

This is the exact location for mounting brackets

Yes it's technically on the passenger side. But, I based on the the best placement for the extra hose you end up with.

I think the most important part of this installation is making sure that the propane connections are sealed properly by testing with soapy water. I even ran the Alde all night with everything closed up to insure that the carbon monoxide detector wasn't going to pick up something that I couldn't see or smell. Not a fan of dying from carbon monoxide poisoning. Fill free to use me as a resource. 
  • Options
    Great, we will try this for a fix.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Thanks to all for these comments...esp the pix from Dsat...we're getting our 20mm regulator installed underneath this coming Monday, camping in high country soon thereafter.  With all our Rocky Mountain dusty roads, I am a little concerned about the exposure, but I guess we'll see.  The original design from Alde included a bypass valve, so you could shut off the lower pressure if you travelled to lower elevations (hey, all of Colorado is above 5,000ft!), but Marvins says having the two regulators in parallel works fine at both high and low elevations.  We'll give a report after we take it up in the mountains!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    @DurangoTaB
    On my last trip I tested it at 7000 plus feet but completely forgot to give it a try in summit county at Dillon Lake 9000 feet. Was going to try it in Hesperus, CO right next door to you but they provided us electric so it didn't get tested there either.
  • Options
    dsatwork said:
    @DurangoTaB
    On my last trip I tested it at 7000 plus feet but completely forgot to give it a try in summit county at Dillon Lake 9000 feet. Was going to try it in Hesperus, CO right next door to you but they provided us electric so it didn't get tested there either.
    Many of us are waiting for a test at higher altitudes.  Looks like it's all on you DurangoTaB.