Options

Alde Freight Train (Alde 3010 model)

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394

fwillison said:

The regulator decreases the pressure from the standard 11 inches of water to 7 or 8 inches of water just to the Alde.  I don't think this is a real fix, but may be work around.  I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the proper fix is a change in jetting or orifice size.  The Alde seems to use a unique fuel supply to the combustion chamber, and I don't completely understand it.  Anyway, hopefully the lower pressure regulator works well enough.  Sounds like OutbackAZ may be first to install.  I look forward to seeing how it goes.

So, will this create an issue for those who camp at both high and low elevation?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Marvin emphasized that this fix has not been tested at altitude, So it may not work.  I'll also try it here in Phoenix. Worth a try.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744

OutbackAZ said:

Marvin emphasized that this fix has not been tested at altitude, So it may not work.  I'll also try it here in Phoenix. Worth a try.

We're waiting with baited breath
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    fwillisonfwillison Member Posts: 35
    Strange that it hasn't been tested at all at altitude.  Seems like a pretty simple thing to test. 
    Jen: I do wonder about what happens at lower altitude with the lower pressure regulator.  Could be that it helps at high altitude but may cause some problems at lower altitude.
    Fred and Nicole Willison
    Tulsa, OK
    2017 Tab S Max Outback silver/silver
  • Options
    Alde Fix follow-up.  I installed the additional regulator (see photo above) along the rear frame member.  The Alde produced heat and hot water here in Phoenix with the additional regulator.  Will take it up to 7,000 foot elevation this weekend for a test.  If successful, I'll provide more photos of the installation and some suggested procedures.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @OutbackAZ, Thank for the update. Please let us know how it goes with what you had to do for the install as well. Thanks!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Thanks OutbackAZ

Is that their recommended location for installing it?

It seems a bit exposed there, and I wonder about rubber hose too. I think ours is all pipe on the underside.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options

Chan - yep, that's the location they suggested.  It's covered by the black plastic undercarriage panel, so not exposed to the elements.

Here is the regulator before putting it in the brackets.  You can see the (very dirty) undercarriage panel behind it.

• Options
    Ahh, I see.

We're lacking that panel on our 2014 model.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options

My 2016 (August 2015 manufacture date) has the black iron pipe ending about 2 feet from the rear frame member.  It has a brass gas fitting, then a long rubber hose that goes through the cabin floor, then to the Alde unit inside.  This regulator simply goes between the iron pipe fitting and the hole in the cabin floor.

• Options
    Maybe I should look again. Might be the same on mine.
    I'm looking forward to the results of your test...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Thanks @OutbackAZ, Did you have to make the bracket?
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744

OutbackAZ said:

Alde Fix follow-up.  I installed the additional regulator (see photo above) along the rear frame member.  The Alde produced heat and hot water here in Phoenix with the additional regulator.  Will take it up to 7,000 foot elevation this weekend for a test.  If successful, I'll provide more photos of the installation and some suggested procedures.

That looks really secure and professionally installed....nice job. We are all hoping this works and I'm not even sure we'll have a problem. Heading to 5000 feet this weekend, but don't think that is really a challenge for this issue. 
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    NuCamp originally sent me photos showing the regulator upside down.  It would have been impossible to drill into the top of the frame with the brackets they supplied, so I drilled four small holes into the vertical side of the frame and used two "L" brackets.  I then sent photos to NuCamp who informed me the regulator was upside down.  Rather than drill four more holes into the bottom horizontal portion of the frame, I cut a 36" aluminum ruler into two sections, bent them in a vise, then drilled holes in each to match the first holes I drilled.  Came out very secure and will not interfere with the undercarriage cover.  I have about 5 hours into it.  Should take others about 2-3 now that we have prototype.
  • Options

Heading up north (6,600' elevation) later today to test the Alde mod.  I was planning on staying at an RV park with electric hook-ups just in case the Alde mod didn't work on propane (I could simply go to electric).  I assume I can simply turn off the electric source at the Alde digital control panel so that it runs on propane only even if on shore power.  Is this correct?

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Yep, that's correct!  I'm very interested to hear your results :)
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options

Thanks John.  They have Internet, so I'll post how the Adle is working as the temperature drops during the evening.  My recollection was that the Freight Train Noise worsened as the temperature dropped.

• Options
    Update 4:00pm: so far, so good. 6,510 elevation, 60 outside temp, 115 degree heat coming from the rear deck vents, water very warm, Alde silent.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

OutbackAZ said:

Update 4:00pm: so far, so good. 6,510 elevation, 60 outside temp, 115 degree heat coming from the rear deck vents, water very warm, Alde silent.

You must be sweating! 115F? 60F outside temp.. nice day! :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    My laser thermometer reads 115 degrees of heat at the rear vents. The cabin is 75 degrees.  Had to lower the Alde setting, as it was getting too warm.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

OutbackAZ said:

My laser thermometer reads 115 degrees of heat at the rear vents. The cabin is 75 degrees.  Had to lower the Alde setting, as it was getting too warm.

Oh dear, you and your fancy tools (I want one!). :) Don't say anything about any exotic pieces of wood you find or V will hunt you down... :wink: 

Thanks for the updates!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Interesting... to be honest I wasn't holding out a lot of hope for this fix but based on your results it looks like it is at least plausible.  My Alde was silent during the walkthrough at the dealer in Colorado Springs, which is about 6000 feet altitude.  It's really noisy where I live at 8700 feet.  This looks like something I will have to try.  Can you provide information on the type of regulator you had to install?
  • Options
    Success at 6,510 feet. 5:30 am, Outside temp is 36 with no noise.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @OutbackAZ, that is such great news!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Ratkity, I have one of those!  It's nice to have with a 60 yr old home with blown in insulation in the walls that is settling ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Wish I could have tested this at a higher altitude, but time did not permit. Jon - no brand name or model number on the regulator. However, it lacked the warning about being installed outdoors that the regulator in the propane tub has (snap off the plastic cover). Let me know if anyone else wants to try this. If so, I'll post more info and photos.
  • Options
    @OutbackAZ - I really appreciate the feedback on this, looks very promising.  I spend most of my camping time above 8000 feet and here in Colorado the nights get as cold as 50 degrees F, even in the middle of summer.  We always use the Alde and it is always noisy :)

I'm definitely going to try this!
  • Options
    @OutbackAZ, Thanks for the test results, and sharing. I do have a question though...What temperature setting did you have your Alde set at to get to 75* inside the T@B? Sounds like a great success story. Will you be sharing the info with the folks at the factory as well? Could be a great fix for a lot of "freight train" issues I've read about here. Still puzzles me how some folks have that issue, and others don't though. Any ideas on that at all? Thanks, Eric
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    My tow vehicle external temperature just registered 29 degrees when I went for coffee. My dual Acu*Rite shows 31 after I moved it from on top of the tire (probably had warmth coming from the tire, resulting in a higher reading). Eric - my Alde temp settings may run "hot." If I set it to 70, the AcuRite reads 61 which is plenty warm for me.
  • Options
    Mine runs hot as well.  I had to adjust the temp setting -7 degrees.