Options

Alde Freight Train (Alde 3010 model)

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @OutbackAZ, Thanks for the info! I know if we set ours at 65* on the Alde, and the temp outside is in the low to mid 40's outside, you're turnin' that sucker down after about an hour 'cause it gets too warm inside. Very well insulated trailer! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I'll report my results to Marvin first thing Monday. Not sure how NuCamp wants to handle getting more kits out there ( i.e. If there will be a charge, etc.). Perhaps Verna could act as liaison on this. I'll limit my involvement to posting info on my install.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    OK, here's the official 5:30 am reading - 6,510 elevation, 29 degree outside temp, Alde purring along without any unusual noises. Cabin warm, water hot.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @OutbackAZ, I think just by sharing with Marvin, a good viable decision will be made. I'm quite sure the fact that you took this on will be greatly appreciated by many! Thanks! :)
    Almost forgot. Agree with using @Verna as a liason, she has her Magic Wand fully charged as of the last report! =)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @OutbackAZ, please share with Marvin. I have an extremely busy two weeks coming up and I won't be around much. 

Thank you very much for the trial and the results. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Went up to flagstaff @ 7,000 foot elevation, temp 36 degrees. Alde worked fine - no noise.
  • Options
    @OutbackAZ, If 'ya keep climbin', we're gonna have to send a space shuttle for a TV to fetch 'ya back! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

ericnliz said:

@OutbackAZ, If 'ya keep climbin', we're gonna have to send a space shuttle for a TV to fetch 'ya back! =)

:lol: Either that, or I'll send my sister with her Alto Camper (aka the Mothership) to go find ya. Thanks for all the info!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    OK, back in Phoenix.  Before everyone starts getting too excited about this mod, my results only reveal that it works up to 7,000' at 36 degrees. It would be great if someone like DurangoT@B could install it and test at even higher elevations.  It's not a fun install - you're crawling around under the trailer and trying to maneuver in some tight spaces.   But well worth the time and effort if it works.
  • Options
    fwillisonfwillison Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2017
    I was at Mather campground at Grand Canyon last week (7000 ft).  Due to last minute issues I was unable to install the new regulator kit before heading out.  Freight train occurred loudly.  I didn't have tools so tried to ignore it but felt guilty for the noise.  Left Mather for Oak Creek Canyon in Sedona about 5500 ft.  Freight train again.
    I pulled out the regulator and borrowed an adjustable wrench.  I simply disconnected the propane hose from the side of the Alde after lifting up the cushion inside the Tab. Then I inserted the regulator between the original supply hose and the Alde.  I layed the regulator in the compartment and replaced the cushion. Took about 2 minutes.
    Like a miracle the noise disappeared. Dead silent.  Heated fine, no issues.
    What a simple fix.
    Not sure why the install needs to be done the more complicated way recommended by the factory.  This way is much easier.

Fred
    Fred and Nicole Willison
    Tulsa, OK
    2017 Tab S Max Outback silver/silver
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2017
    I thought it'd be easier to install inside the Tab, too. I'll be interested to hear what the downside is to an inside install.

fwillison said:

What a simple fix.
    Not sure why the install needs to be done the more complicated way recommended by the factory.  This way is much easier.

Fred

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Fred: I noticed a brass fitting on the top side of the regulator that's marked "vent." Perhaps the factory doesn't want any propane being expelled in the cabin? Also, I believe propane is heavier than air, so the location on the rear frame member would allow any discharge to sink down and vent out the two oval openings in the frame behind the tires. I agree putting the new regulator in the cabin would be much easier.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I'm sure there is a safety reason.  I don't know the details, but would like to find out.  I'll have time later to do a proper install if necessary, but this was a great quick fix that solved my immediate problem easily.
    Bottom line: this simple regulator solves a major major problem with the Tab. It was shockingly unacceptable to be unable to boondock above 3500 ft. Now I'm a happy camper.

Fred
    Fred and Nicole Willison
    Tulsa, OK
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ok then, next trip for one of you guinea pig types (or beta testers?), is to do the sea-level test. 
    We'd not want to have to remove and replace this new regulator at different altitudes...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    It works fine at 1,086 feet here in Phoenix.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

OutbackAZ said:

OK, back in Phoenix.  Before everyone starts getting too excited about this mod, my results only reveal that it works up to 7,000' at 36 degrees. It would be great if someone like DurangoT@B could install it and test at even higher elevations.  It's not a fun install - you're crawling around under the trailer and trying to maneuver in some tight spaces.   But well worth the time and effort if it works.

Good point - I did not have issues with the freight train until I was just above 9,000' with a low of 29. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Chan, I had the same concern. One of the other advantages of the simple installation is the ease of switching back and forth if necessary.
    However, I am currently stranded in Colby Kansas in a blizzard.  The first night I spent in the Tab in the Colby Walmart.  I thought I might get blown over by the 60 mi per hour winds and driving snow, BUT the Alde provided adequate heat with the regulator still in place.  Not sea level, but Kansas is not known for its mountains...

Fred
    Fred and Nicole Willison
    Tulsa, OK
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Stay safe out there @fwillison!!! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited May 2017
    KS is definitely flatlands country but Colby is in the High Plains region above 3000 ft. That is close to the elevation (1000m) the new Alde 3020 manual says you "may" need to use high altitude mode.
    So the real test is going to be comparing the regulator mod performance in Death Valley NP (-250 ft) versus Rocky Mountain NP (9000 ft) if anyone is so inclined to take on that quest. :D
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    We camped at 5,000 feet this weekend and left the Alde on overnight turned the thermostat down to 65 and about 2AM we were woken up by the freight train. So we just turned it off and it's not likely that we'll leave it on overnight as we love it cold when we sleep with lots of blankets. @Tabaz you may have something there with the freight train sound worsening as the temperature gets colder. Because, we turned the Alde on in the evening and even turned the hot water to high so we could do dishes and no sound at all. The outside temp was around 70 but the inside temp was more like 75 from heating up during the day. In the morning when the Alde was just warming up and the outside temperature was around 50 and inside the temp was like 57 the freight train started immediately.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    Just heard from Marvin about installing the new regulator inside the cabin: DON'T DO IT!  It must be installed in the recommended location outside the cabin on the frame.
  • Options
    Looks like I'll be one of the next Tabbers to do this upgrade. My parts are shipping out tomorrow. May 19th we're headed to Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, Summit county Colorado, Durango, CO and Sedna, AZ all at altitude.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

fwillison said:

Chan, I had the same concern. One of the other advantages of the simple installation is the ease of switching back and forth if necessary.
    However, I am currently stranded in Colby Kansas in a blizzard.  The first night I spent in the Tab in the Colby Walmart.  I thought I might get blown over by the 60 mi per hour winds and driving snow, BUT the Alde provided adequate heat with the regulator still in place.  Not sea level, but Kansas is not known for its mountains...

Fred

One of my dreams is to be stuck on the plains in a blizzard. :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

jkjenn said:

One of my dreams is to be stuck on the plains in a blizzard. :)

Oh, @jkjenn, you're a sick woman!  My brother and I are wimping out on a morning of turkey hunting with a windchill of 35* with sprinkles!  With all of the rain soggy ground, that would be rough, even with a low chair!  I'm going back to sleep!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options

Some suggestions for those of you going to do this mod:

Wash off the plastic underbelly cover before starting (lots of dust when putting it back on).

You only need to remove the cover screws up to the tires for adequate access to the year frame member.

A one-piece "L" shaped bracket would be better than the two-piece supplied by the factory.

Drilling into the bottom of the frame may result in the plastic cover not fitting at the bracket (the bracket screw heads may protrude into the plastic cover).

Ensure that the spacing between the factory brackets results in the clips catching the brass fittings on the regulator (not the male ends of the hose attached to the fittings).

The "tower" on the regulator with the brass "VENT" stamping must face up (towards the sky).

The stamped arrow on the regulator must point to the Alde unit.

Ensure the propane hoses do not touch the top of any screws from the plastic underbelly cover! (I zip-tied the two hoses together to get them off the bottom of the frame, also used a shorter cover screw, then even filed the top of that screw smooth - just in case a hose would rub against it). 

After testing all fittings with soapy water, fire up the Alde on propane and see if it works.  No need to do any bleeding of lines - mine started working immediately.

Hope this helps.

• Options
    Also lower the tongue as far as it will go for better access at the rear frame member!
  • Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    I had the same issue and this was my fix.  The vent to the outside is both exhaust and intake.  There is a metal flex tube for the exhaust that is mounted inside a plastic intake hose.  I discovered that the plastic hose was vibrating and striking the metal exhaust hose. (The rattling noise). I loosen the clam on the plastic hose from the unit and pulled it as far as I could on the sleeve it was mounted to, giving me more clearance, and then thightened it up.  No more noise!  I would like to install a longer hose to get more clearance but the dealer has not been able to get me one as of yet.  Hope this works for you and others.
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Attempting to muffle the hoses have worked for some, but not me.  I tried to block with foam and stabilize the outer hose, but it didn't help.  Mine isn't that loud, though, and is definitely the result of sucking air, not hose smacking against hose.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options

dinzzy said:

I had the same issue and this was my fix.  The vent to the outside is both exhaust and intake.  There is a metal flex tube for the exhaust that is mounted inside a plastic intake hose.  I discovered that the plastic hose was vibrating and striking the metal exhaust hose. (The rattling noise). I loosen the clam on the plastic hose from the unit and pulled it as far as I could on the sleeve it was mounted to, giving me more clearance, and then thightened it up.  No more noise!  I would like to install a longer hose to get more clearance but the dealer has not been able to get me one as of yet.  Hope this works for you and others.

@dinzzy Thanks for all the great tips! Sounds like I need to go out and hose off that area now, so it's nice and dry when I get the parts to do the mod.
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    We camped at Tuolumne Meadows  in late September with near freezing temperatures at 8,619 feet. The rumble from the Alde was low  but tolerable, and there was black soot at the exhaust. We had no hookups so we ran the Alde and the Norcold on propane. My question is, if we can tolerate the noise, is there any harm, or danger in camping like this. I'm wondering if I should add the Norcold high altitude kit, and regulator for the Alde before we camp in high country in a few months. Have I already damaged my equipment? If I install the kit and regulator will everything work fine when I camp in Florida near the beach? Thanks for any help or advice you can give.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road