Options

Fridge Won't Light for Nothin :-(

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    @PXLated have you tried cleaning off the part of the thermocouple that sits in the flame? The manual indicates that's the first thing to do if you suspect the thermocouple. The second is to make sure its connection isn't loose.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522

Removing the 3 Norcold Way Fridge

Michigan_Mike
    by Michigan_Mike ·  September 15
    I recently removed the Norcold unit and stove, but wouldn't recommend doing it unless you absolutely have to.  I have had an intermittent problem

Is is this the post you're looking for?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Photomom - The end that sits in the flame is the end I can't get out otherwise I would try :-)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Can you get your fingers onto it? I'd think some carbon would come off if it needed to be cleaned.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom - See pic #2. The flame end goes in that hole into that box. Can't pull it out, must be clips inside holding it so one - it would seem - needs to get inside that box way back there in the corner. Can't see a way without pulling the fridge or cutting a hole in the wall of the cabinet.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Looks like you may be right. Please keep us updated with your progress. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I have never seen a propane frig that did not have  relatively easy access to burner chamber. They usually back up to an outside wall where there is an access cover for service and maintenance. This really sucks.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    PXLated-I found Michigan Mike's post-please see my message posted above-I forgot to address it to you
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Since it looks like one needs to pull the fridge, looked up Norcold service centers - AaaaaaHaaaa, one 50 miles away. Oooops - Nope, haven't been a service center for five years. Called the next closest, 160 miles, nope, they aren't either. Seems the service center locator is totally out of date.
    The first place I called, gave me the name of another guy that services RV fridges (50 miles away), talked to him and he said it sounds more like the ignitor than the thermocouple. The ignitor and the thermocouple are in that same little box way in the back so he'll probably need to pull it.
    Made an appointment for Monday morning. Will be interesting to see which it is.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, Please keep us up-dated on what you [or the service center] find to be the problem. Just a note, I looked at the photo of the Thermocoupler posted on page 1 of this thread, the first one listed by Tabberjohn, and if you zoom in, I'm wondering if that silver round "clip" that you can see in the photo is what is restricting yours from being able to be removed. Looks like it slides on to that end prior to inserting it into the hole. Not sure how you could get the clip to release from the outside, as I looked at your second photo of where the end goes in as well. Appears really restricted for space in there. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    If it were an igniter problem then the pilot would not light. You stated the pilot stays lit as long as you hold the red button in.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Ya, the green light stays on when button's pressed so you'd think it was lit so ignited. Just won't stay lit. So, we'll see - Either way, ya gotta get to that ignition box.
    Decided that this could be a multiple trips to the hardware store type deal if I pulled the fridge - Ok if in your driveway and a store close. Not good at all when each round trip is 40+ miles. Time for the peoples that do this and already have the parts :-)

Current campground has but two elec sites - One opened up so I snagged it otherwise it'd been lots of gen time.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, Well at least your food in the fridge won't go bad, so that's a plus to the scenario! Glad you were able to secure a spot with electricity. Hope your venture turns out well for you although right now it sounds pretty darn frustrating to say the least. Wishing 'ya the best! Eric& Liz.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Roll with the punches - I don't even swear at things like this anymore :-)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited April 2023
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks Verna - Sounds like Jenn's recommendation for the factory to put an access panel in the side of the cabinet would be the way to go. Gonna show the service guy that thread and if wants to cut an access hole, fine by me.
  • Options
    PXLated, mine has the access hole between the cabinet and the frig and without it, I sure wouldn't been able to repair my recall on the hoses.  If you want a photo of my access hole, I can resize it and post it for you.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited October 2016

The owner's manual for the 3163x is minimal when it comes to servicing the unit ("contact a Norcold service technician.").
    There is a schematic that shows the thermocouple as a simple rod type without a holder clip.
    However, I found more info in this model 322/323 guide: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncold323.pdf
    On page 11 it shows a thermocouple bracket with a hex nut on the outside and clip inside.
    If that's the same as your #2 pic then you do need access to the bracket to replace the thermocouple.
    Try removing that hex nut from the outside and see if the holder clip will pull through.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Verna - That's in the top cabinet isn't it? The box one needs to get at would require one clear in the back lower side of the lower cabinet.
  • Options
    Verna said:
    PXLated, mine has the access hole between the cabinet and the frig and without it, I sure wouldn't been able to repair my recall on the hoses.  If you want a photo of my access hole, I can resize it and post it for you.
    I believe that access panel is in the top cabinet. Where he needs access is in the very back of the bottom cabinet. I am considering cutting my own, but I  am not sure if even that will work. I think you have to get to the very back for proper access.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Verna - That's in the top cabinet isn't it? The box one needs to get at would require one clear in the back lower side of the lower cabinet.
    That would be hard to get to!  The hoses come past that area and that would be very hard to cut out with the fridge in place!  Best to cut it while the fridge is out. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TabberJohn - Only hex nut is on the burner (propane in) - The thermocouple is just a hole with a gromet. But even if it did have a nut, you can barely get a hand back there - no way with a tool.
    I believe that little round gromet with the glass window you see is what Ratkitty was struggling with.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Looks like they changed the bracket design on the 3163X.
    Too bad they didn't make it easy to change out the thermocouple.
    It is a simple procedure on a gas furnace or water heater in a home.
    Good luck with your service appointment.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    ya, have watched vids for both home & camper - would be a piece of cake if there was easy access to that box like on homes or side mounted fridges with outside access doors. They really need to make this easier.
  • Options
    Well, I finally looked in the lower cabinet to see if a hole is feasable - ain't lookin good, the plumbing fir the fresh water tank runs against that wall :-(
    Note: I discovered that the overflow line going back up to the filler port was ziptied too tight - about 2/3rds restricted.
  • Options
    I do not think side access will work. I think you need to get to the back. Most RV frigs are pretty easy to remove if you just take your time. I have replaced complete cooling units on previous RVs with great success. After all they are installed after the trailer is pretty much completely built. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Norcold frigs before 2009 had a 3 year warranty parts and labor. I see that now it is only a 1 year. I guess they are not real confident about their product.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    If you had a big removable panel predone in the bottom cabinet like in the top, one could do this from in there but trying to cut the panel out with the plumbing there would make it difficult.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    If I were going to cut a hole in that panel I would use a high speed  oscillating saw. You can make plunge cuts into a corner and can mark the depth to the exact thickness of the wood being cut. They are easy to use and control and work very well in tight and restrictive spaces. Search multifunction  oscillating tool. I bought mine at Harbor Freight.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Back from camping. PXL, sorry you are having thermocouple problems. That little window with the gasket is what rolled away and I had to put back. I found out my thermocouple has a bend in the burner box. The thermocouple is only held in by a gasket. Since my hands were small, I could pull a little on the "copper" wire and pull the thermocouple closer to the burner assembly. I think I inadvertently knocked it when I was doing the hose fix. It seems touchy. Baring that, it's remove the frig to get to the burner/thermocouple assembly. I've never seen such an unserviceable frig in my life!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)