Options

Fridge Won't Light for Nothin :-(

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ratkity - So, did you actually remove the fridge or do everything by reaching in?
    You're ight on the serviceability thing. Would be a lot easier if they precut an access panel in that lower cabinet - almost impossible to do after that plumbing is installed - and even then it woud be tight.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Might be possible to do from the fridge side if it gets pulled out. Sounds like something that should come on new trailers.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom - Ya lost me :-(
  • Options
    Sorry, I meant if one wanted to cut an access panel it would probably be more easily done when the fridge is out, from the fridge side.

And most easily done if PV started including a lower access panel on new T@Bs.

clearer?
  • Options
    Yep :-)
    It'd be easier but still dificult with the plumbing right on the other side - Would probably work best with a rotary cutter with the blade/bit set just deep eough to cut thru.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    As I have mentioned in another thread, it is common for RVs to put an access door to be able to access the burner for maintenance. It might not be feasible to do that with T@bs and I am sure some would be opposed to the look of an access door on the front.

@PXLatedI wouldn't blame you for having a service center take a look. I will let a service center or dealer do it when I take it in for the hose recall. Here is the thread: http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3727/removing-the-3-norcold-way-fridge#latest

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Jenn - An exterior door would also be problematic. It'd have to be down behind the tub and probably require removing everything from within the tub.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - An exterior door would also be problematic. It'd have to be down behind the tube and probably require removing everything from within the tub.
    I guess you are right. There is just no easy way to get these in and make them accessible. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    FuzzyYanniFuzzyYanni Member Posts: 110
    PXLated: I am working on a similar but different propane issue on our fridge. I uploaded removal instructions and the servic manual to the files section of the T@DA / T@B facebook page. Are you on there? 
    "I know one thing, I know nothing."
  • Options
    edited October 2016

1.jpg 72.3K
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Nope, don't do Facebook :-) ... Actually, I've had an account forever but can't reall he last time I went there. Any chance you coud post them here?
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited October 2016
    PXL, did everything by reach. That's why I was hoping that you could just move the copper looking wire (it's the thermocouple) a bit. That little round window gasket thing was what popped out and I had to put back. What a pita!!

The cooling side of the frig is on the left side, along with the unaccessible burner. I downloaded the instructions to service the burner. To pull it out in the tiny place it's in requires detaching all propane lines, making sure the AC plug line is long enough (I couldn't tell how they had it routed, but I moved it away from the fins), making sure the 12V lines aren't getting pulled (including the aux fans many of us added) and finally, I don't know how much of the dual venting hose is in the rear to pull forward. Ugh. Pay someone. That's why I was upset about the gasket window thingie, but I have small hands. If Norcold made the same frig with the cooling side on the right, then it would probably solve the need for aux fans and solve access to the burner assembly by having an outside access panel.

Best of luck to get it working. BTW, used the ARB this weekend (I have the slide too in the back of the pickup). It worked flawlessly. While I didn't win the chili contest, it was very nice to have all that extra room for ingredients!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Got an appointment this morning - Bet the service guy's gonna #@# when he sees what's involved - He's probably expecting an exterior service door.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    That's why they make the big bucks! By the way, where's my pigeon? :s
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Removal of Norcold from Westy. Process is similar to T@B or T@DA, includes pix of how to detach propane, 12V, exhaust hoses, slide out and burner orifice cleaning.

Personally I have purchased the spark igniter (mine isn't sparking due to grounding out somehow), thermocouple, and burner orifice. Pulling it out is a major PITA and if I'm going there, I will replace all these parts. Total cost about $100 in parts.

Trip to the dealer $120 for a first look. I can't see this being under $250+ parts anywhere else

• Options
    Norcold service manual with logic charts and tech troubleshooting
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    There's probably a better place for these docs but I don't know where they should go in this forum. On my mobile I can't do anything else (like sorting) at the moment.
    Is there a files section ?
  • Options
    Can't open this kind of thing on my Mac with Chrome anyway - this is how it downloads and it won't open.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Good stuff!  

Anything of this nature should go in the forum Video & resource discussion area.  

Consider it done and thank you for sharing!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Photomom, a PDF should open in Chrome in OSX, it does fine for me... Do you have problems with other PDF files, or just these?

If Chrome doesn't open the file, it would/should download it, so you can view it with 'Preview'.
    Photomom said:
    Can't open this kind of thing on my Mac with Chrome anyway - this is how it downloads and it won't open.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

Page 27 of the 3163 service manual PDF shows a thermocouple held into the burner box with a grommet.
    Based upon that diagram it sure seems like you should be able to yank the TC out and insert a new one unless the grommet must be detached from inside the box first.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Mike - can you put "Fuses for Newbies" in the resource section.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    OutbackAZ said:
    Mike - can you put "Fuses for Newbies" in the resource section.
    I announced your "Newbie Fuse" discussion in the Electric/Solar discussion area and will leave it posted at the top of that area.  Also added in a new discussion thread in our resource area where people can post helpful information for new trailer owners....  Hopefully we can expand upon it andcreate a wealth of info for others.  

Good tip Frank and thanks for all the time you spent in creating/posting up the "Fuses for Newbies" thread as I know you took considerable time amassing/compiling/photographing that info...  Well done!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I would suggest the word "Manuals (PDF) "is added in that area title instead of just " Videos and Resources" (and whatever else it's called) so it becomes a goto place if someone has issues and is looking for a user manual or service manual.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I am going to consider installing an 8" water proof inspection access port. The type used on boat decks. Since it will be in the battery storage area it will basically be unseen. There really needs to be a way to inspect and adjust the burner flame if nessary or clean the  orifice 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I am going to consider installing an 8" water proof inspection access port. The type used on boat decks. Since it will be in the battery storage area it will basically be unseen. There really needs to be a way to inspect and adjust the burner flame if nessary or clean the  orifice 
    I think the battery and propane tank placement will prevent any useful inspection and maintenance and potentially render the access panel useless. Not to mention you are dealing with a curved surface which is rather difficult to seal. Pulling the fridge is what I have to do for our T@DA and I betcha after I have pulled it the first time, the second time pulling out the fridge will be a piece of cake. I can easily add a panel on the T@DA (the orifice is on the right side) but I won't. I don't mind pulling the fridge out every year and cleaning the burner... we will see how well this theory pans out in practice.

• Options
    Fuzzy, your cooling side is against an outer wall. The T@B's cooling side where the burner is located is dead center of the counter top between the stove and sink. I can't even put my tiny hands down and touch the burner assembly because there is so much in the way. My vent hoses to the front are way bigger, btw and there's insulation around one.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing since I took off the plastic propane tank and replaced it with a diamond plate bin (not the Outback one - extra 3" width, height and length made a big difference). I opened the back of the bin just like the propane one for venting. @TabberJohn, unless you hire an 8 yr old, getting that grommet back in will be a pita. That little round grommet with the window took me hours. I had to remove the bottom grill and the left hand bracket on the bottom.

I also think the thermocouple has a right angle bend in it as well. the burner assembly goes straight in and so does the thermocouple. The thermocouple has to bend and be at a specific distance (per manual) from the burner to ignite and remain ignited. You can probably try to reposition it carefully by moving it a bit, but I wouldn't pull on it.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Ratkity said:
    Fuzzy, your cooling side is against an outer wall. The T@B's cooling side where the burner is located is dead center of the counter top between the stove and sink. I can't even put my tiny hands down and touch the burner assembly because there is so much in the way. My vent hoses to the front are way bigger, btw and there's insulation around one.
    I know exactly where the fridge sits in a T@B, as we also own a 2010 DM T@B with bathroom + a 3way Norcold. I still wouldn't do it (add access panel) to the T@B - it will be 100% useless.
  • Options
    Alas, Fuzz! Forgive me. Didn't know you were a multi-T@BBer. There has to be a T@B University badge for that! :)