Options

Fridge Won't Light for Nothin :-(

Comments

• Options
    FuzzyYanniFuzzyYanni Member Posts: 110
    "kicked up thru the front vent" of course, the vents are low and right behind your rear tires, makes perfect sense as the fridge is in the T@B front. Now if I find the same in my T@DA (where the fridge is in the rear) I will be really impressed ! hahaha 
    "I know one thing, I know nothing."
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXLated, Are 'ya surviving the Rv park ok, or did the Zombies eat 'ya? Hope everything is working out well for you! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    OutbackAZ said:
    PXLated - thanks for sharing this adventure.  We all learned a lot from it.  Photos really helped understand the intricacies. 
    Roger that. I still considered the mysteries of the Norcold 3-way the uncharted wild west of the T@B world. Your dilemma--and the extensive thread spawned by it--have provided a welcome crash course it's operation and maintenance!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Unfortunately it ain't solved yet - Getting into no cell zone so will post later.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have noodled the idea of putting screen over the holes behind the vent covers. Seems like it could help with critters and debris.

@PXLated - keep us posted. Fridge issues really stink.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    So, new thermocouple and no go - could be a bad thermocouple (unlikely) or the gas valve the thermocouple hooks into or the circuitboard the valve hooks into.
    Decided this wasn't going to get fixed where I was so called a Norcold listed place close to a big city and again, Norcolds list is outdated, but, he gave me the name of a trailer/rv supply place(they don't do service) and they gave me the name of repair place. Talked to them and they said the symptoms say thermocouple. Next would be the valve. Asked them to check if they could get the valve if needed as I was going to be driving 150 miles to have them check the thing. Guess what - nobody carries the valve, they have to be ordered. If fact you have to have the serial number to even order one. AND, it would take two weeks.
    Pretty unhappy with Norcold right now. Not only hard to service put hard to get these parts while traveling.
    Gonna drive the 150, have these guys check it out and just hope it's a bad new thermocouple.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I'm going to guess you guys didn't even go through the tree diagram in the service manual by the 'wild goose chase' outcome.. 

from the Service Manual there are 4 tree diagrams to choose from:

Refrigerator Will Not Operate on AC . . . . . 8-9
    Refrigerator Will Not Operate on DC . . . 10-11
    No Spark at Burner . . . . . . . . . . . . 12-13
    Burner Ignites But Flame Will Not Hold . . 14-15

• Options
    Yep, looked at it :-)
    Figure the service guys know what to check and do.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Okay, I went through "No Spark at Burner" and it was pretty decisive by the time I got to the igniter. It had ruled out all issues with the igniter motherboard, thermocouple and everything else. I am guessing you probably went through the "Burner Ignites But Flame Will Not Hold" for your issues , is that right? 

I'm not sure if RV service guys (or techs in general) are super thorough, they usually skip a few steps to 'save time' but I don't have much experience in troubleshooting fridges to be honest. [insert several grains of salt in-between my commentary]

Thermocouple should produce 18-30mV when heated gently.

Source: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw6M95Y3I5k
  • Options
    I "looked" at it but didn't get out all the tools and do the run thru - That's why I found a service guy. maybe he did, maybe he didn'. After four hours of screwing around he hadn't gotten it working. Said it should be the thermocouple and maybe we got a bad part - unlikely but does happen. He had other thermocouples but the Norcold takes a really long one and the longest he had was a foot too short. So, on to a service guy with a parts supplier close by. Try a new thermocouple first and go from there.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    4 hours  - good luck man, that sounds like a total damper on the camping experience :(

• Options
    Ya, totally throwing me off my game and plan.
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    PXL-- please do as Fuzzy suggested-- pretty easy to check the thermocouple; I just used a cigarette lighter. Got 22mv on our old one (just like in the pic!), which indicates it's doing its job.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Ya, that is simple enough - but if it checks out bad I need another and if it checked out ok I'll need something else so aren't I going to end up at either the parts depot or service center anyway? :-)
  • Options
    I have a feeling your service person ,might not be 'quite the expert' he claims to be. Meaning, you may need to get your hands dirty... 
  • Options
    Fuzzy - Different service person tomorrow - Recommended by the big city, big parts depot. The one that tried was the only RV service guy anywhere close to me. And by close I'm talking over 100 miles. The big city place was roughly twice that.
    There ain't a lot of choices out in the boonies or rural America most of the time :-(
  • Options
    I completely understand - not all choices are/were desirable. I would have done the same.

• Options
    Had the same problem with finding brake parts last year - Wasn't until I made a trip to Vegas (another 100 miles out of my way trip) that anyone knew anything, say nothing of stocking them.
  • Options
    PXL, I feel for 'ya my friend! I realize the kind folks here are REALLY trying hard to help, but...I can empathize with your situation totally. When you're in rural America [the boonies] and trying to get something repaired, you're in a whole different world than you are in a more populated area, not only expertise wise, but lack of parts wise as well. Really sorry to hear how bad a damper this is putting on your trip, not to mention the frustration due to the uncertainty of actually knowing what the problem really is. Best of luck to you, good thoughts going your way!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Go with the flow - A little speed bump :-)
  • Options
    Kinda like armadillo country, huh? ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    And so far, you've been great, PXL! I mean, this is better than watching a movie or reading a good mystery! Let us know what you learn (though I know you will, and thanks!).

Remind me sometime to tell you about the time I, my new wife, our cat, our 4-month-old baby, and all our earthly possessions (U-haul trailer) were stranded mid-way between Omaha & Lincoln on I-80 in 95* weather in my old '72 Blazer!
  • Options
    Headin to the bright lights, big city - Hopefully leaving with a working fridge :-)
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    There's not an icon for fingers crossed, but...
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    Still no go - BUT - Good news, guy ran the tests. Bad news is it's the circuit board ($175 + Shipping) - More bad news, hardly anybody stocks them as Norcold keeps changing it's part numbers (in fact, they have to call Norcold with your fridge serial number and get the part number - applies to the valve also) - And more bad news, Norcold doesn't even stock them, they build to order. Takes three biz days to build and they will only ship by slow boat to china so estimated two weeks to build/ship.
    Crazy - Between the parts depot and the service guy I didn't hear one good thing about Norcold.
    Told him to order it - Before called Norcold, he called other parts depots and found one and will have it shipped so he can install it monday morning. Don't know where it's coming from but he said Tucson has more RV parts than anywhere else, even Phoenix, so maybe from there.
    We were sitting around shootin it waiting for the part number call back and he said he never replaces a Norcold with a Norcold. Said Dometic is easier to work with and parts are half the price. The bad news is, Dometic doesn't make a small replacement model for ours.

So, instead of loading it with ice like a cooler I headed for a COE I had stayed at a couple of years ago (with some hookups) so I could keep everything cold and eatable over the next four days.

Hopefully by Monday noon this saga will be over with. On the brite side, I have four days to edit/organize a bunch of photos I've been procrastinating about forever :-)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I think I foresee a built-in ARB should this happen to me.....110V/12V. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Fuzzy - One thing he did is test the thermocouple and valve in one shot. He hooked the meter to the two leads coming from the circuit board into the valve. Got an initial reading, pressed the red button and watched the reading climb.
  • Options
    PXL, Ok, At this point you have to have entered Sainthood for the amount of patience & fortitude you have shown through this whole process. Hopefully the new circuit board is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for you. Enjoy your weekend, and the time you have to catch up on your "to-do" list. Keep us apprised on the progress next week, and good luck!
    Verna, I think I would be having the same thought process about the built - in ARB,  although you have to admit, PXL is in a very unique situation with living in his T@B full time year-round, having to rely on propane a good portion of the time. Makes 'ya feel for the guy for he's going through right now! :s Have to admit, he's kept a really good sense of humor through the trials and tribulations of this endeavor. =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    "Have to admit, he's kept a really good sense of humor through the trials and tribulations of this endeavor."

Yeah, what he said!
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Ok... This deserves the MASTER of PATIENCE badge from T@B University. I wish my 37L arb fit in the opening with the lid. I'll deal with the Norcold until something happens. Perhaps by then, something brand new and exciting will come about! There are so many new innovations these days in the RV world. Kudos to you, PXL! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)