Options

No title just idle chit chat

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love this thread that is a repository for those comments that don't have a place to call their own ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Homebodyatheart, I usually sanitize the fresh water tank once a year. Since I haven't had to use it yet this year, it's time. We have enough chlorine in our water here that you shouldn't have to do it any more often than that if it's used more than once, or twice during the season. I just give it a good fill & dump between camping trips in the summer.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    @Verna, Heh, We resemble that remark! =)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Oh, and by the way, we missed 'ya! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Thank you, @ericnliz. It was a rather warm weekend playing Camp Host(ess). 90* plus over 70% humidity. I admit to working too hard Sunday and needing to lay down in the A/C of the T@B for a couple of hours. Sometimes, even with enough hydration, that temp and humidity combination gets to you.

It was so nice to be where no fireworks were allowed, although coming home to what sounded like a war zone, complete with ground jarring mortars, was almost enough to make me turn around and go back to the woods!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ACK!!! HARRRRRVVVEEEEEEY! *gets the squinty eye look and starts trying to find the ant trail that's following the Doritio crumbs*
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @Verna I agree that this thread is one of @Dalehelman's finer mods. He knows how to keep us kids entertained and momentarily out of mischief! I'm thinking that @ericnliz and @Ratkity would agree(once she's done picking up after Harvey again...Kids!) Other than hot and miserable in the humidity, I'm glad it's going well. It's always good to hear from you!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Thank you, @Homebodyatheart
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @Verna, I know the feeling of getting overheated, as I have a tendency to just want to get it done no matter how hot/cold it is. Found a nice cool, wet hand towel around the back of the neck works well to help with the cooling off process. Had some really cool ones that had sorta foam "peas" in them, but have "disappeared" somewhere waiting to be found! Those I used to just get wet, and put in the cooler, or fridge to stay nice & cold. Gotta go pick up some other stuff prior to our next trip. If I find some more, I'm going to pick some up & I'll share where I found 'em. Stay cool & safe, it's heatin' up out there! :whistle:
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @Verna
    @Sandiegogal and I find something to put cold water in (camp water is always cold) and put our feet in it to cool off.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    Thanks, @ericnliz and @dsatwork. I know better after working outside for the phone company all those years. It was amazing how the A/C certainly helped. Yup, the cold towel on the neck is great--forgot it. Cold shower feels good--forgot it. Sometimes you just need to lay down and take it easy the next day, too. I turned the water pressure up a bit from the faucet tonight (still way under 50 psi) so the shower will have a bit more force--that will help. I'm only Camp Host(ess) tonight through Sunday afternoon, so it's much shorter than last weekend. Now if these pesky thunderstorms would go away. 6 of us took shelter once and will at least one more time again in the 1930's Shelterhouse. It will be a bit dicey tonight, but it will cool down. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @Verna Be safe, you don't really want to see Dorthy now do you.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    @dsatwork, it was just a lot of rain and not much wind. I got soaked to the skin, but Sunny Day stayed dry wrapped in a flannel quilt. There were about 10 of us this time in the Shelter house. Some are still down there making S'mores. All is good in Hoosierland!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I have to fully endorse and agree with V about resting up the next day after getting overheated. I just went out to the camper to do a quick 3M Command Strip survey and wall-sticking of new ones the day after getting overheated (possibly a little heat exhaustion). I suddenly had to lie on the camper bed because I was seeing leetle gray spots in front of mah eyes - the sign of an impending faint for me. It wasn't even hot yet for the day. I went inside when my brain cell settled down and took it easy the rest of day. Be careful out there!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @Ratkity I'm a bit concerned about my upcoming camping trip with the gals this Sunday to Tuesday. While it's on the river all our sites are on an open grassy area. I don't fry well, and there is water play and a pontoon boat involved. Sounded good when I booked it when we had snow and ice everywhere. Now I'm a bit nervous as I don't tolerate extreme heat well anymore.We may have broken a heat record today, maybe tomorrow too, in the low 100s. It is supposed to cool off Sunday to the low 90s, upper  80s Monday and Tuesday. Thank goodness I have AC and an ice maker and hook ups! I've also picked up a 13x13 pop up awning I can put over the tab, then make my awning come out from the tab for a covered area to hang out in. Im planning cooler foods, lots of ice water! Its probably 45 minutes from home if it gets bad, but still...I wanna camp!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @Homebodyatheart: a fan, a cool drink, hat, sunscreen and being in the shade is the recipe for hot weather camping, i.e. not moving much. Don't forget bug spray. Stay hydrated too. I think you'll do fine and Glamp the way Glamping should be done (make someone else do da heavy lifting) :lol:

I should add (serious note) to stay out of the warmer/shallower pooled (slow moving) areas of the river while swimming when the air temp is at its highest. Just a microbial precaution. Stay in the deeper and cooler parts (unless the river is snow melt and frigid).
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @Homebodyatheart, They sell kiddie pools at Walmart. That & yer ice maker, you could sell tickets! It would fit nicely under yer tarp. ;)B)=)
    *CAUTION* NO DIVING IN THE KIDDIE POOL!!!!
    Be safe out there & have fun. I'm sure you'll be fine. It's supposed to start cooling off (a little) in the next 2 days.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    i love hot coffee and drink it even on the hottest days, cools me down. But! If the humidity is >40%, sweat evaporates more slowly, so the cooling effect is diminished, hence I'm pretty much done with hot drinks before noon. Then again, caffeine is a mild diuretic, so I should up the water intake.  Cooling bandannas have been mentioned in several threads and are available at multiple retailers and work for your furry companions too. There are DIY vids that show you how to make your own. Wicking fabric clothing is a better choice than cotton or any fabric which soaks up our sweat. Staying cool-it's a bitter struggle.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    @Homebodyatheart, You could always find the campsite with indoor plumbing like I did at Lincoln Rock! :rofl:
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    :rofl:!!! @ericnliz it's a darn good thing I had already swallowed my water, or else I'd have earned the coveted Screen and Keyboard Spray badge! :rofl: Actually there is a pic on one of my T@b FB groups where the gal totes a plastic horse water trough in her truck for camping, creating her own personal pool or hot tub. It's just big enough for lounging comfortably! Maybe Liz needs one?  =) We'll be at 9 Mile, north end of Riverside State Park.

@Twojgrams a nice mug of tea in the morning is always a nice thing, then I will switch to ice water. I've got a wonderful 18oz double wall steel water bottle that will keep liquids either hot or cold for most of the day. I've also got a 34 oz thermal SS pitcher I keep on the counter in Bug that I work on, too. I am traditionally a miserable water drinker, but this works well for me when it's hot. Cold coffee drinks are much better later in the day! I'm bringing some oversized t-shirts to wear around and can wear them wet over my bathing suit. Whatever happens, I'll be camping! B)

@Ratkity the river has been running fast and high this year. Not sure how it is this week, but I'm sure they've controlled the flow from the other side of town so we won't be swept away. Thanks for the advice! 
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited July 2017
    @Homebodyatheart "@Twojgrams "I've got a wonderful 18oz double wall steel water bottle that will keep liquids either hot or cold for most of the day"
    reminds me of an old joke whose punch line is "How does it know?" 

John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    @Homebodyatheart, They sell kiddie pools at Walmart. That & yer ice maker, you could sell tickets! It would fit nicely under yer tarp. ;)B)=)
    *CAUTION* NO DIVING IN THE KIDDIE POOL!!!!
    Be safe out there & have fun. I'm sure you'll be fine. It's supposed to start cooling off (a little) in the next 2 days.
    I wuz gonna say *CAUTION* NO PEEING IN THE KIDDIE POOL!! :rofl:

Don't laugh, but we filled up a decent sized kiddie pool at the last camping trip. I don't know how many 5 gallon buckets those guys hauled back and forth to this pool for the kids, but it was a BUNCH. Then after the kids were done, the water-hauling guys just sat in it with their clothes on (I mean, no bathing suits, ya know?). I think one of the water-hauling guys counted the steps from the water spigot straight across the street to the campsite. 40+ lbs gets heavy after a while!
  • Options
    OK. Seriously? Can I go hide now... mental note to self: do not accidentally pour boiling water down your leg before checking the propane level the night before a trip. The good news is that I own a huge gel ice pack that lives in the freezer, now on my calf and thigh. Ouch. No blisters, just red and burning tenderness. Argh. I've still got things to do, errands to run... ouch. Sigh....
  • Options
    ow ow ow!! @Homebodyatheart!!! 

Well, I replaced the manual jack with an electric one on the toy hauler. No issues. It got hot fast! I wanted to see how fast I could drain a 39 gal fresh water tank using a drill pump. The fresh water tank needed one more flush. That took 2 batteries with a 2800 rpm drill. All was well. I went inside, took a shower and decided to take the garbage out.... stepped on a BEE! OW! Stung me, not sure if the bee lived (don't care). On the way back limping into the house, I stubbed my other foot toes on some tools I left out - just to make both feet ache equally! lol. 

Glad you have good ice packs. Aloe is good too. So sorry you burned yourself.  Hope you got all your errands done! I have a ton to do tomorrow.
  • Options
    Ouch @Ratkity!!!!! At least I know I'll be in good company in the infirmary if we keep this up! Whatever you do...do NOT invite @ericnliz to this party! He would take the prizes and beat us both. So...let's be more careful, huh?! I'm grocery shopping now. Just dropped off Wendys for the home crew. Later! :)
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @Homebodyatheart, Thanks for the reminder...bubble wrap, pack bubble wrap (self preservation stuff, fall down, bounce back up!)!!! Ok, you two ( @Homebodyatheart, & @Ratkity ), @Homebodyatheart, hope you didn't get burned too badly, painful lesson: look into the tank with the built-in gauge for future use! ;)@Ratkity, shoes, put on yer shoes! :o Didn't yer Dad teach you to pick up yer tools when yer done? I know, 'ya don't do shoes in the summer, right? Liz does the same thing, and our friend in Oregon even walks to & from work barefooted! :i_dunno:
    NOTE: THERE ARE NO BADGES FOR INJURIES SUSTAINED IN THE COURSE OF MAINTAINING/MODIFYING YOUR T@B/T@G, or Toy Hauler. (Do 'ya REALLY need to ask me how I KNOW about this one?) :o:s:nuh_uh:
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    *sad face* I know there's no "Most Stitches Obtained" badge when working on your camper. Alas. 

@ericnliz, I was so used to running around barefoot during the summer growing up. Those 50 cent flip-flops didn't last long and then it was "ouch, ouch... find the painted part on the asphalt road to walk or get to concrete... better yet, find grass!" Obviously, we didn't have imported fire ants then (NC). We always got a new pair of shoes before school and parents saved $$ during the summer by not having to buy so many shoe sizes for growing feets!

There are some native ants in the DC metro area that bite, but you have to really tick em off for them to munch on you. No swarming. I wasn't paying attention to the bees munching on pollen on the clover flowers!! Yes, my lawn is mostly clover and crabgrass. At least it's green! :lucky:
  • Options
    At least it's green! lucky AND black and yellow stripes, right? :bee:;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    I think dem thangs are living in the invasive english ivy - except they are really ground wasps. Still not happy wif em, no matter wut they are called!! Bzzzzzzzz :bee::bee:
  • Options
    One halloween, my friend and I dressed up as insects: one of us was a bee, one an ant. We both carried pretend weapons (this was a long time ago). When asked we'd say "I'm a Killer Bee and she's an Army Ant" :lol:
This discussion has been closed.