Options

Battery Recommendations?

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
Okay, I know this topic has been discussed many times and in great detail over the years. I don't want to spend hours reviewing all the minutia, but I would appreciate some quick general thoughts and recommendations regarding current battery options.
For the past three seasons I have chugged along nicely with my $90 105aH group 27 flooded cell battery. It still has plenty of life and I anticipate it lasting at least another season as my primary power source, but the battery whisperer in me suggests it's starting to show its age. I'd like to at least consider other options before replacing it with another of the same.
I know there are a dizzying array of great batteries out there, but they will not all work for me. Here are my current criteria:
  • I want the battery to remain in the existing plastic tub. I have room for at least a group 27, but there may be room in my battery box to fit one size larger.
  • I'd love to consider dual 6V batteries, but I'm almost certain those will not fit in my tub without further modification.
  • I want something that can be adequately charged with my current 100W solar panel and stock converter.
  • I'm not interested in spending $1000. I'm looking for something a little more mainstream, but would certainly consider upgrading to an AGM or other higher tech battery if it really proves worth the cost.
  • Within the above criteria, my highest priority is maximizing amp-hours when dry-camping.
Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions!

2015 T@B S

Comments

• Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    I would recommend a Group 27 Trojan Motive AGM.  If money was no object (within reason), also consider Lifeline.  There is one disadvantage of the Trojan over what you have (other than cost), but three advantages.  The disadvantage is that the Trojan only packs 89Ah.  The three advantages are: (1) it's maintenance free; (2) AGM recharges faster with solar; and (3) although the capacity is lower, you can draw an AGM down further without damage, so your USABLE capacity is probably about the same or higher.  But they aren't cheap.  https://www.trojanbattery.com/motiveagm/
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    edited May 2019
    If it were me I would just replace your current group 27 with the same.  AGMs are nice but I have found that maintaining my two 6V flooded lead acid batteries is easier than I expected.  You still have the 50% DOD rule of thumb on AGMs when it comes to battery life.  Barring two 6 volt batteries that you mention you don't have room for, just go with what you got!  Anything else will require more room, expense, and weight.  Anything larger than a group 27 will be rather heavy, so take that into account.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
    I fit an Optima D31M AGM in the stock grp 27 box with no trouble.  The spiral wound construction makes the case dimensions a bit smaller than rectangular cases.  Rated at 75ah.  Mine are dated 2011 and 2012 and still exceed original specs on a recent check.  I have only opened the boxes a couple of times in the 7 years since installation.

Good luck in your search......

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Our 150 AH Trojan 1275 GC battery (flooded lead-acid) fits inside a NOCO group 27 box.  It's about 1/4" too tall for the top to snap shut on both sides, but it covers it well, doesn't slide around & the strap holds it down very snug.  They make one with low profile battery posts that I've heard will allow it to close all the way, but I wasn't able to find that locally.  I got mine at a golf cart dealer.  Works well with our 100W solar panel.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    I'm still living with my stock 70AH battery after two years, and when it is time to upgrade, I'm going with this AGM.  I am assuming it is a group 27, but honestly I haven't done the math/measurements. 

The BatteryStuff page with the specs:

The same company has higher AH batteries available.

When I read about AGM's the statement is made: "can be operated in any position."  So, this means it can be placed on its side or stood on end?

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @rfuss928 I have a similar dual Optima setup installed in a cargo trailer with rooftop solar. Lots of folks dis the Optima batteries, but like you I find they last a number of years. I built the system in 2005 and have to replace the batteries once. They are probably about due again, but definitely a decent choice.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @pthomas745 yes AGM's are sealed with nothing to spill and can mounted in any position.
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I have had excellent performance with Optimas in my boat (going on 7 years).  I did just replace the battery in my Tundra with an Odyssey group 31 AGM and my 61 Bug with a smaller Odyssey AGM battery.  The reviews and specs on the Odyssey’s are impressive (cycles with 80% discharge) but they are not cheap.  I store my Bug for long periods of time and the AGM’s slow discharge rate and lack of leaking are key.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Thanks for the good info (and keep it coming)!
    I can see the benefits of AGM batteries, but I'm curious why they (most of them, anyway) seem to have lower aH ratings than comparably sized flooded cell units at less than half the price.
    My current battery is an Exide Nautilus that has been regularly available at Tractor Supply for several years. For $90 I would have been happy to replace/supplement with another of the same, but TS has very recently changed over to their own store brand, and has jacked the price of the g27 deep cycle by almost 50%, so I figured it was worth at least considering other options.
    Back before AGM and Lithium batteries became the talk of the town, I used to see the Interstate name mentioned a lot. I can't remember if the comments were good or bad. Any opinions? There's an interstate dealer not far from me and they make a g31 flooded cell that should fit in my existing box.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ScottG I have run Interstate batteries in my vehicles for a number of years and I am a completely satisfied customer. I currently have an Interstate AGM battery in my Tacoma.  

I had dual Interstate 6V golf cart batteries in my T@B S Max that were still going strong after over 3 years.

I do buy from the Interstate dealer as they do have more aH than those carried by the big retail/wholesale outlets. My dealer, Johnathan, has been extremely helpful in lifting the batteries to their final spot.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2019
    Hey Scott. I have to recommend Crown Battery for their excellent customer care.

After having researched online regarding quality and reliability, etc, and finding Trojan and Crown to be highly regarded, I called all around locally for a Crown distributor, to no avail.

I finally contacted the manufacturer via email. The Eastern regional manager got back to me, thoroughly apologizing for not having a distributor in the Buffalo area!

He then offered to arrange trucking, directly to my house, two GC2 6v batteries, at about the same price I'd pay locally for Trojans.

He went on to advise me of 'proper care', ie: be sure to use a hydrometer... Since then I've contacted Crown with a question or two about charging, and they've been very responsive.

So, Crown Battery is highly recommended.  :)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 226
    Verna said:
    @ScottG I have run Interstate batteries in my vehicles for a number of years and I am a completely satisfied customer. I currently have an Interstate AGM battery in my Tacoma.  

I had dual Interstate 6V golf cart batteries in my T@B S Max that were still going strong after over 3 years.

I do buy from the Interstate dealer as they do have more aH than those carried by the big retail/wholesale outlets. My dealer, Johnathan, has been extremely helpful in lifting the batteries to their final spot.
    Verna/ all
    I am heading to the factory in October to convert to a dual battery system. I’m following your advice and I looked up the interstate 
    Batteries 

Do you have any recommendations on how to choose a specific one ? I was thinking more in terms of specifications rather than a model number. I probably will not take the AGM approach 

I’m going to go to a local shop to talk to them but would like to have more knowledge before getting there. Any advice would be appreciated
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Lino, ask your Interstate dealer for the 6 volt golf cart batteries, specifying you will need two. Get the price for the AGM’s also, just so you can compare. 

You will be having these wired in series....there’s enough diagrams on the forum to show you what that means. (Yes, I saw you will be having the factory do the work, but it’s always nice to know what youi will end up with.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @lino - check out the Interstate Extreme Cycle Golf Cart chart and go with the highest 20 hr rating you can afford.  They are all about the same size.  The heavier the battery, typically means more lead and a longer life.  

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/recreation-vehicles/golf-cart-batteries/extreme-cycle

Also,  they have two 6 v Deep Cycle RV batteries with a 225 amp hr rating at 20 hrs.  Not sure how they differ from the golf cart batteries.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/recreation-vehicles/rv-batteries/deep-cycle

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Thank you both very much

• Options
    There is an interstate store 15 minutes away, never knew that

They said they have plenty in stock and a few different ones to choose from including a GM. This is going to be easier than I thought

• Options
    Make sure you get “fresh” battery.  Check the production dates.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I planned on asking for a fresh battery 
    Waiting until just before we go to the factory in October 
  • Options
    R2DTabR2DTab Member Posts: 5
    I recently bought 2 VMAX 6V 220AH batteries and they were small enough to both fit in the boondock front tub with the propane.
    2018 T@B Boondock 320S
    Brought to places by a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    R2DTab said:
    I recently bought 2 VMAX 6V 220AH batteries and they were small enough to both fit in the boondock front tub with the propane.
    I have these, now. There was not an Interstate dealer close enough and these were very reasonably priced. So far, so good.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Happy with our 2 Costco Interstate golf cart batteries.  Our problem so far is not draining them enough. Need to loosen up and use more juice. 😁
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Start up a mobile welding company?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    @lino - check out the Interstate Extreme Cycle Golf Cart chart and go with the highest 20 hr rating you can afford.  They are all about the same size.  The heavier the battery, typically means more lead and a longer life.  

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/recreation-vehicles/golf-cart-batteries/extreme-cycle

Also,  they have two 6 v Deep Cycle RV batteries with a 225 amp hr rating at 20 hrs.  Not sure how they differ from the golf cart batteries.

What do you recommend for a 12V AGM from Interstate?
    2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    ELK said:

What do you recommend for a 12V AGM from Interstate?
    Does it have to be an Interstate battery?  I couldn't find a good deep cycle option from Interstate - they don't list the 20 hour rate on their website.

This group 27 SLA/AGM on Amazon is a 100Ah (20 hour rate) battery for a decent price.
    Universal Power Group 12v 100Ah SLA/AGM Group 27 Battery
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    No, it's just that they are right up the street and will put it in for me.

• Options
    Interstate does not even have a group 24 or 27 AGM battery which is what I think fits in the tub battery framing  You may be able to get them to install it on end if the tub would close.  Their AGMS are not cheap $354 for a 31 DP that is rated 100 amps.

Don’t let them sell you a deep cycle battery for RVs - it’s not the same thing.  
  • Options
    So, Sharon...a deep cycle for? is best.?

• Options
    I don’t think the Interstate deep cycle is a great choice, but if you are intent on having Interstate sell you a battery, then I would go with the SRM-27 - it is their RV/Marine deep cycle.  You will only get a maximum of 88 Amp hrs and you need to maintain it.  So, make sure to charge it full before any down time, measure the voltage at intervals (and recharge as necessary), check water levels and replace with distilled water as needed.  

You won’t be able to travel with your frig on for any significant distance (as you discovered with your previous battery) and unless you are using solar in good light, you can’t boondock - your frig alone will use about 48 Amp hrs figuring a 50% duty cycle at 4 amps/hr.  Plan on stuffing your frig with frozen water bottles and keeping the door closed and turned off.  

You don’t know for sure if your Goal Zero solar trickle charger is working, but you can’t recharge your battery with that - it is for maintaining a battery. 

Good luck and have fun!

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    I believe that Interstate batteries are the McDonalds of the battery manufactures.  Deep cycle Trojan batteries would be a much better choice, followed by Conrord, and finally something like BattleBorn Lithium.  Both Trojan and Concord sell AGM batteries in addition to traditional wet cell lead acid batteries.  If the battery does not have an amp-hour rating at 20 hours, it's not a deep cycle battery.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    Agree.