Options

Hard wiring a surge protector in a Tab 400 help

Is the heavier yellow electrical line running into the fuse box the line I splice into for the surge protector on a 2020 BDL? Lots of wires to choose from!  Getting ready to order the EMS HW 30c for install. 

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    If you are talking about a flexible electrical cable (NMR or "Romex") I would expect the main AC line running to the converter to be orange. I'm assuming this is where you would want to install a surge protector.
    Yellow cable denotes 12g wires inside. This is good only up to 20 amps. Since the main feed is supposed to handle up to 30 amps, heavier gauge wires are required. On my 320 the cable is orange, which I think indicates 10g wires. The yellow cable is probably powering one of the branch circuits. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    @Zeckmm I’ll be watching this closely as I hope to do the same when I take delivery of my 400.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Zeckmm, I agree with @ScottG 's information.  The 30 amp cable (Romex) on my 2019 320S is orange.  Easiest way to confirm that is to follow the Romex cable from where your shore power enters the camper from the exterior connection point and follow that to the converter.

Unfortunately, nüCamp did not leave much extra wire to work with.  Therefore, take your time in figuring out where to cut the existing 30 amp cable to make your connections, ensuring that you leave sufficient length to make your connections on the respective input and output sides of the EMS.  When doing that, keep in mind where you plan to mount the EMS, because that will largely determine where you cut the 30 amp cable.

Due to the lack of extra slack in the orange Romex, I had to install my EMS upside down.  However, I have seen others who installed new Romex to give them extra wire to easily mount the EMS right side up.  In the threads posted by @Sharon_is_SAM, you will see photos that depict both installations I have described.  Even though mine is technically "upside down" (i.e., how the box is oriented), in reality that just means the writing on the EMS cover is upside down.  I could have flipped the cover around so that I can easily read the writing (which includes the error codes), but the cover also has labels designating which side of the EMS is the "Line/Input" vs the "Load/Output."  I wanted those to remain properly labeled, even if I have to stand on my head to read the writing.  ;)    
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    edited March 2023
    Post deleted by member.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    @klenger, that is a great wiring diagram!  I downloaded it a while back and really appreciate your willingness to share it with others.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    ZeckmmZeckmm Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for your comments. scottG is correct the incoming line is orange 10 gauge. Bayliss is spot on in saying not much wire to work with! I Have enough wire to do the splice but not able to do the mount . I will probably have to splice in a piece of 10 gauge wire to mount; lots of good places to mount but shortage of existing wire.
  • Options
    You might poke around on the back side of the incoming twist lock connector. My guess is that if you can get that open the wires from the orange cable will be attached to screw terminals and can be readily removed and a new length of cable added between the twist-lock connector and your new EMS.
    This is basically the same as what klenger suggested above, only I'm thinking it might be easier to get at the connector rather than mucking about in the breaker panel. Just a guess, though, as I haven't needed to pull that cable on either side for any reason. If you do check it out please let us know what you find!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    If you do decide to just cut the cable and splice in a little extra, I recommend installing a small junction box with appropriate cable clamps in which to make the splice--just as you would do in a code-compliant residential application.
    And for good measure I suggest taping up any wire nuts after you make the connections. You don't want 'em unscrewing themselves as you bounce down the road!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I probably should have explored whether I could have done what @ScottG has suggested (i.e., check the back of the twist-lock connector.)   I did pull all the available slack from that connector, but still needed a tad bit more.  Also, I mounted my EMS inside the same compartment that houses the converter (on the opposite side of the plywood divider where @klenger mounted his.)  I can see how he had sufficient wire available to mount it where he did.  I just opted to mount mine adjacent to the converter so that I can easily see inside the EMS housing when the cover is removed.  Worked out fine, looks great, and is very accessible.  Although not necessary, if I get ambitious and run out of projects, I might consider replacing the original Romex with a longer length. 

• Options
    KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 96
    edited March 2023
    Deleted
    73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    @KK1L I've deleted my post above to get rid of the link but it's still present in your copy of my post.  Please delete or edit your post to remove the link. I don't understand how or what this hack is doing but it has me concerned. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    Doesn't appear to be any 'hack' involved. Looks like typical squatting on an expired domain by a prolific spammer, if you dig into the whois history for the domain and do a bit of Googling.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    I removed the 10 Gauge wire from the connector and ran that into the output of the EMS and used a new piece of 10 gauge wire to run from the 30A connector to the input side of the EMS. Don't use smaller than 10 gauge wire.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    AndreOAndreO Member Posts: 69

Here you go, mounted under the bed of my 2018 400. Just cut the existing cable, stripped the ends and screwed them into the EMS.
    The hardest part was fitting it in a good spot.
    AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,191
    I mounted my watchdog surge protector behind the drawer under the wardrobe. The nice thing is you can quickly check the status of it by opening the drawer. Much faster than logging into your phone.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Roamy400Roamy400 Member Posts: 19
    Not sure about room in a standard 400, in our 400 Solo I mounted a Watchdog along with a Hughes Autoformer ahead of it to help with voltages sags. All were done with plugs so I could bypass something if needed in an emergency situation. Have had to bypass the autoformer once when only power available was a 20amp GFCI outlet, GFCI didn't like the autoformer.

2020 T@B 400 Solo (Roamy)/ 2008 Tundra Limited / Nashport, Ohio
  • Options
    Roamy400Roamy400 Member Posts: 19
    2020 T@B 400 Solo (Roamy)/ 2008 Tundra Limited / Nashport, Ohio