Extending Stabilizer Reach

This discussion was created from comments split from: Finally a member of the club.

Comments

• morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    @morey000, this is what we did for kitchen storage:...

It's all part of the experience. Happy t@bbing! And enjoy!
    You give me hope.  :)

Oh- and why don't the stabilizers reach the ground?  I presume this issue is unique to the outbacks.  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @morey000, yes, they don't reach the ground because of the extra height of the outback.  I put either a wood block or "lego" block type leveler(s) under each stabilizer as needed.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    morey000 said:
    . . . why don't the stabilizers reach the ground?  I presume this issue is unique to the outbacks.  
    I screwed  2x8 blocks (Black) to each stabilizer and and carry four more (Red).  Then use the 'lego' blocks if needed.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Our stabilizers have reached the ground in all of our sites but one. Happily, we’ve always carried bits of wood for that circumstance. Of course, @MuttonChops’s solution is more elegant.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Nice job @MuttonChops.......looks pretty slick.  Do you have a closeup photo of how you screwed the wood blocks to the stabilizer foot?  It looks like you may have used two screws through the top of the stabilizer foot, but I can't tell for sure.  Any tips on doing this mod?
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    edited November 2019
    Bayliss said:
    . . .  Do you have a closeup photo of how you screwed the wood blocks to the stabilizer foot?  It looks like you may have used two screws through the top of the stabilizer foot, . . .
    Yes two screws. Metal Pad has one hole from factory (screw with washer).  Metal Pad was removed and hole drilled for the second screw. Pad was also template for cutting 2x8.  Nothing fancy.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    Thanks @MuttonChops!  Sometimes nothing fancy is best.

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    When I bought my ‘18 “outback,” a set of LEGO blocks were included in the purchase.  I have also attached wooden pads similar to @MuttonChops
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I find it interesting why no one is asking why?      

So why doesn't the stabilizers reach the ground,  beyond the obvious they are too short?

Why doesn't the factory address it?

This seems pretty ignorant to me
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Cbusguy said:

So why doesn't the stabilizers reach the ground,  beyond the obvious they are too short?

They will at most regular campsites. If boondocking or ar notably unlevel sites, they won't. This is not unique to the T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    I've been on uneven sites with my "regular" 320 and have had to use blocks under the stabilizers. Blocks 'n chocks are just standard elements of the camper parking kit.
    2015 T@B S
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    Cbusguy said:

in my defense... that's what started this thread... me asking why.  But- clearly, they just use the same moon landers as the regular T@Bs and the Outback/Boondock editions are 4" higher. 

Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
    edited May 2019
    @morey000 the why wasnt directed at you.    It was directed at nucamp.    Sorry if you thought I was speak to or at you

why hasn't nucamp addressed this,  seems silly to me.   Just because it has always been that way doesn't mean it should remain that way.

make a change please

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    While I agree in theory that the overall design is less than perfect, a "change" is easier said than done. nuCamp doesn't make the stabilizers, they source them from BAL (the same company that manufactures the trailer frame). BAL makes two sizes of stabilizer (17" and 20"), and nuCamp is already using the longer of the two on all 320 models.
    Short of going to yet another supplier (if one exists), they could change to a longer scissors-type jack. However, I personally like the simple unobtrusive look of the current units.
    2015 T@B S
    So how many stabilizers does nucamp buy a year.   10,000?  Why not simply request BAL to make on that is say 6 inches longer for them?      Seems obvious to me
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Help me out here as I was poor at all kinds of math and of course physics, but since the stabilizers move down and  laterally,  wouldn’t making them 6 “ longer change their weight bearing capacity? I know their primary purpose is not to bear weight but to stabilize for the indoor movement of us lumbering campers, but still. Then would they need to change the placement of the stabilizers on the frame? And would they then become 4 efficient toe stubbers? If any change was considered, I’d vote for leveling jacks on the rear, stabilizers on the front, and a button to push for some “automatic” leveling, no more squinting at yellow bubbles! And no more sitting on the ground for this short armed gravity challenged camper to lower the Outback rear stabilizers! That’s just me. I do admit to getting a leetle bit of a kick lowering those stabilizers with our drill, feeling all mechanical for just a few minutes. Just keep me away from nail guns.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    While I watch those very large travel trailers and Class A’s with electric levelers, I thank nüCamp for not going to that expense that would hike the price of our beloved T@B’s out of the reach of many of us.

The same goes for the electric tongue jacks. Thanks to @Dalehelman, it takes me three or four seconds to lower or raise my tongue jack with my battery powered drill...as opposed to $300 (or so) + labor to install an electric tongue jack.

With every improvement provided to us comes an increase in purchase price. Manual or drill powered labor is fine by me. It also allows me a needed excuse to check the underbelly for any noticeable changes or problems. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @jgram2, I enjoy using the drill, too!  

Actually, I like the simplicity of the horse shoes that @MuttonChops added to his stabilizers.  That would be a simple addition in a light weight, paint-free, plastic.  Maybe someone with a 3 D printer should create something for the Outback folks!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489

Actually, I like the simplicity of the horse shoes that @MuttonChops added to his stabilizers.  That would be a simple addition in a light weight, paint-free, plastic.  Maybe someone with a 3 D printer should create something for the Outback folks!
     I would absolutely buy “shoes” in a sturdy plastic version!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • targtarg Member Posts: 81
    VictoriaP said:

I would absolutely buy “shoes” in a sturdy plastic version!
    No need for someone to make something special.  Just use a couple bolts like @MuttonChops did, a couple large flatwashers and locknuts, and pass said bolts through a stack of those "lego" blocks. 

Come to think if it, I may do that myself since I always use a stack of those blocks even on flat level ground.  Permanently attaching them to the stabilizer pads would free up precious storage space.  Hmmmm.

The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Cbusguy said:
    So how many stabilizers does nucamp buy a year.   10,000?  Why not simply request BAL to make on that is say 6 inches longer for them?      Seems obvious to me
    I doubt that NuCamp makes 2500 Boondocks in a year. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    @targ, yeah it frees up space, too,.
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    A longer stabilizer would also need to be heftier and the anchor points would need to be more strongly braced.  The TAB 400 already "wiggles" a bit from side to side in the rear. Part (OK, maybe all) of that "wiggle" is because the rear stabilizers project directly aft with no side spread.  If the stabilizers were longer, that "wiggle" would be worse--even if they were heftier and better attached.  Longer, stronger and better attached means heavier.  Judging from the extensive discussions here regarding tow vehicle capabilities, the TAB 400 is already heavy enough.
    Slowly shaking my head here,  how did we go from stabilizers that don't reach the ground to using a drill on the tongue jack and thanking nucamp for it?

The proper comparison would have been what if the tongue jack didn't reach the ground and allow for the trailer to be level.

My point is.... in a level state, not a crazy off level campsite,   all 4 stabilizers should reach the ground and stabilize the trailer.   I don't think that is too much to ask and sounds like a manufacturing defect or oversight.   

I understand and appreciate the give and take of building a device,   as pointed out,  including everything top shelf would make owning one cost prohibitive.    

I appreciate the simplicity of mechanical jacks,   but the should be appropriately sized for the trailer.....

I think @klenger replaced his stabilizers,     
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Cbusguy said:
    Slowly shaking my head here,  how did we go from stabilizers that don't reach the ground to using a drill on the tongue jack and thanking nucamp for it?

The proper comparison would have been what if the tongue jack didn't reach the ground and allow for the trailer to be level.

My point is.... in a level state, not a crazy off level campsite,   all 4 stabilizers should reach the ground and stabilize the trailer.   I don't think that is too much to ask and sounds like a manufacturing defect or oversight.   

I understand and appreciate the give and take of building a device,   as pointed out,  including everything top shelf would make owning one cost prohibitive.    

I appreciate the simplicity of mechanical jacks,   but the should be appropriately sized for the trailer.....

I think @klenger replaced his stabilizers,     
    In a level state, all 4 stabilizers do reach the ground.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Seems like a non issue to me.  We boondock most trips, lots of uneven sites.  Usually if we need to use 3 blocks on 1 corner we need less  on the others.  Best to not put the metal stabilizers in direct ground contact anyway.  I think we could still sleep with  a stabilizer or two stowed away.  
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    If we as owners can replace the too-short stabilizers, then nuCamp certainly can.  Their fix for the Boondock models is to supply 1 pack of 10 leveling blocks, which is enough to level only two stabilizers.  I replaced my rear stabilizers with a pair of 24" scissor jacks, which work very well.  You can see and read about my mod at the link below. Scroll to the bottom of the page.  

http://www.klenger.net/storage-mods.html

T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
    This is spendy, but handy.  They would need to extend the pad for the Boondock use.
  • ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    We have a 2018 320 Boondock. Most of the Missouri State Parks where we stay do not require much leveling. We do however get a lot of wiggle and maybe it’s because we are not petite flowers. 

When level, our stabilizers absolutely do not reach the ground. We must have a minimum of 2 LEGO blocks under the back. Also, you aren’t supposed to extend them to the maximum, right?  I tried concrete cinder blocks and it felt perfect but I don’t want to haul those around.  I love @muttonchops solution and will be headed to the hardware store right away! What an amazing solution! This is exactly why I logged in today. Thank you!
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    edited July 2020
    I just found this, is this the plastic version of Muttonchops?

https://rvsnappad.com/products/mini-6-4-pack
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.