Options

RV Lock Keyless for RV's is great! (Currently for T@B S Max and T@B 320 {pre 2020} only)

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I ordered mine with the current Mother’s Day sale and it arrives tomorrow. Gonna time myself! It’s a personal challenge!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    Careful with the keys.  They seem to be made of soft metal and will easily twist off if the lock is hard to open.  I broke mine off this spring after the lock inards corroded over the winter.  No exposure to salt.  Drilled it out and got a replacement easy enough from RVLock.  Put the replacement in (easy) but now the key will not work.  It is the correct key for the lock.  May have damaged something when drilling out the lock - can't get the lock assembly out now.  Keyfob and keypad combo both lock/unlock fine.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    Careful with the keys.  They seem to be made of soft metal and will easily twist off if the lock is hard to open.  I broke mine off this spring after the lock inards corroded over the winter.  No exposure to salt.  Drilled it out and got a replacement easy enough from RVLock.  Put the replacement in (easy) but now the key will not work.  It is the correct key for the lock.  May have damaged something when drilling out the lock - can't get the lock assembly out now.  Keyfob and keypad combo both lock/unlock fine.
    Thanks for the tips, I’ll be careful. I squirt some graphite lock lubricant into our T@B lock every fall when we’re winterizing.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Got my RVLock v4.0 today, same one everyone raves about, and we cannot get it to go in the opening the original lock came out of. It looks like the insulation in the door is preventing it from sliding in enough so you can get it through where the striker plate goes. Do we need to carve out some insulation?

in the first picture the black area is where we think we need to remove some insulation. 
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    I didn’t need to carve out insulation when I did mine yesterday, but it took a LOT of wiggling and playing with angles (and some swearing) to coax it into the hole. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    VictoriaP said:
    I didn’t need to carve out insulation when I did mine yesterday, but it took a LOT of wiggling and playing with angles (and some swearing) to coax it into the hole. 
    Oh thank you! I was able to push the outside part of the lock into place once I realized it wouldn’t just slip in. In place and working!
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    Yay! Glad you got it to work! 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    LeeMLeeM Member Posts: 7
    I also just got an RVLock 4 today, did get it to wedge in reasonable well.  But I'm having an issue that the door is fairly hard to close.  Thats fine when your outside, just an extra push.  But when on the inside and with that less than optimal plastic handle I sorta have to slam the door to get it to latch.  I've fiddled with the door face plate, given it all the room I can.  Just me and my Tiny Tot issue?  If not for that, I'd be over the moon happy with this I think, but kinda a good size issue for me.  I'm in a 2016 T@B S.
    L & L
    2016 t@b, t@bitha trim, 'TinyTot'
    TV: Toyota Highlander, 'the Buggy'
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    @LeeM I have a 2019 320 S Boondock and I replaced my factory lock with an RVLock 4. I noticed that it really did  take a few rounds of back and forth .. it was tight as heck to get all in there, but my door closes OK .. I do find that I like to give it a bit of momentum though.. I would have a bit of a hard time yanking it.. Was disappointed that the handle on the inside is plastic.

One could consider screwing a beefier metal handle into the inside of the door I suppose..

One thing I also noticed: My key .. it really has a hard time working with the top lock. the bottom one it fits and works fine, but the top lock .. I had a locksmith make me a spare key and when I was testing it .. it didn't work. I thought the locksmith had given me a bum copy but tried both the original RVLockkeys and they struggled too

One bit of advice: DO get a spare key for the RVLock and kind of keep it around somewhere outside.. because on at least one occasion, the lock bound up just enough that the rather weak battery driven motor could not unlock it. Had I not had my key I might have had to try repositioning the trailer to see if it would unbind...

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    LeeMLeeM Member Posts: 7
    Thanks @DigitalSorceress, all good advice and info.  I'll get that extra key made.  Sorta why we changed anyway.  On our original factory lock, the deadbolt would no longer work with the key and the door key was getting shaky, we didn't want to get locked out.   

I've wondered about beefing up that plastic side too, might give that some thought.  Overall I still like it, but a shame the didn't make that inside part stronger given that the rest of it is so solid.  The door closing part, think that's my issue, I'll go fiddle with it some more.
    L & L
    2016 t@b, t@bitha trim, 'TinyTot'
    TV: Toyota Highlander, 'the Buggy'
  • Options
    @LeeM NOTE: Home Depot, Lowes, and Pep Boys did not have the right blanks for it.. I went to a local locksmith and he had the right blanks.
    ~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

• Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    I installed mine yesterday. The shrieking sound rattle my nerves and probably would scare away every bird and critter within a mile. But despite the shriek, I already found myself using it for the convenience of it. I didn't need to fish out the key to unlock it, and that convenience is awesome. 

It took me about 45 mins to monkey around with it and get it together. The opening was really tight and I didn't want to break anything. I messed around with the strike plate a bit. When you take the old one apart, mark the old one with pencil and take a pic of the strike plate to use when you assemble the new one. That will make it easier to get things aligned. The instructions are fine, and it really is easy, but a few tips would have been nice. 

I do have one major nitpick. The plastic door handle on the inside feels flimsy. The original metal interior handle was much sturdier. It is disappointing that an otherwise amazing product couldn't have a better handle on the inside.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    @Trailpixie  You can turn off the beeping sound.. I think you press and hold 1? it's in the manual

Totally agree about the flimsy inner handle.. they did such a nice job with the exterior. And sadly you can't use the original inner plate with it.

I was thinking about maybe adding a better interior handle directly anchored to the inside of the door.. not sure I want to drill holes though...
    ~Tananda

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Yup, just hold the one down for a few seconds and beeps be gone!

I adjusted mine and now the key works, which makes me feel a lot better. You never know when the batteries will go, although I try to proactively replace them well in advance.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I love the lock but the little motor is a bit weak.. if your door /lock binds at all it can get stuck, unable to open.. I always make sure I do have a key somewhere (Locksmiths can make you a copy but local hardware stores rarely have the right blank)

I make sure I keep a key safe on me just in case it ever binds up, etc... because the key lock is a mechanical linkage and you can force it open when the lock binds.. I had this happen once when I was first getting it installed and set just right... never want it to happen in the wild without that spare

~Tananda

• Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    Has anyone tried any of the other similar products available? They look so similar in many ways, one has to wonder if they are all coming out of the same Chinese factory. One has a 3 year warranty. The remote fobs are definitely made by the same company.

• Options
    @davel4wa  Dig into the reviews.. there are a LOT of look-alike knock offs.. some of which steal the images from RVLock etc.. some seriously shady fakes/knock-offs out there.

I do find it interesting they say how each lock is designed in their Utah offices and shipped from their warehouse. I get the distinct impression that what they're NOT saying (Made here in the US) means maybe they are indeed made elsewhere

There are stories of Chinese factories that make the official brand of xyz and then when their quota is finished they run the same product without the labeling for some off brand/etc.. totally unlicensed of course.. so if you get lucky you get one made by the same people in the same factory.. if unlucky you get some utter garbage knock off.

I made sure to order mine directly from RVLock (they had a better price than Amazon and no chance it was a knockOff)
    ~Tananda

• Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    The price on Amazon was the same when I looked but either way shipping was free.
  • Options
    NinabeanNinabean Member Posts: 68
    Hello Tabbers. I noticed RV Locks is running a 35% off sale this weekend and I’m seriously considering purchasing one for
    my 2019 Tab 400. Does anyone know the exact model I should order?  I think I want to go with the keyless entry.  Thank you.
    2019 T@b 400 “Hazel”   Towed with a 2013 Ford F-150 STX  4X4 SuperCab 5.0L
    table mod
  • Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    Ninabean, I came on here to post the same sale but you beat me to it! :)  Starts 7/19/2019 at midnight MNT time with offer code: 10YRSALE. I have seen several posts here that the RVLock V4.0 works perfectly. If you are looking for the most economical, the compact version is $40 less. 
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited July 2019
    Ninabean said:
    Hello Tabbers. I noticed RV Locks is running a 35% off sale this weekend and I’m seriously considering purchasing one for
    my 2019 Tab 400. Does anyone know the exact model I should order?  I think I want to go with the keyless entry.  Thank you.
    Sorry,@Ninabean, RV Locks does not make a model for the T@B 400. Yes, I am patiently waiting also. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @ SubaruLou, is that midnight tonight (07/18/2019) or midnight tomorrow night (Saturday 07/19/2019.)  Also, I have been unable to locate the information about the sale online.  Can you direct me to that?  Thanks!  (Greg)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Bayliss said:
    @ SubaruLou, is that midnight tonight (07/18/2019) or midnight tomorrow night (Saturday 07/19/2019.)  Also, I have been unable to locate the information about the sale online.  Can you direct me to that?  Thanks!  (Greg)
    It was by email. I read it as starting tonight, as soon as it strikes midnight MNT time, 7/19

• Options
    @SubaruLou, thank you very much.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Does anyone know if there is any advantage/disadvantage in purchasing the compact version of the RV Lock instead of the full-sized V4.0?

I have been reading some of the reviews and one person mentioned that with the compact version they could not turn off the sound it makes when opening the lock (like others on this forum have pointed out you can with the V4.0.)  Also, I am  curious if the compact version has the "quick-lock" feature that allows you to hold down the lock symbol on the keypad and it locks automatically.

I like the look of the V4.0, but all things considered, maybe it makes sense to buy the compact version since it is less expensive.  Additionally, the manufacturer's web site indicates that the two are identical, except the compact version has a narrower face plate.  BUT, maybe I am missing some information.

Thanks in advance for any input on significant differences, if any, between the two versions.  (Greg)

• Options
    Already posted this in an old RVLock thread, but thought I would post separately for anyone, like me, who has wanted to upgrade their lock but waiting for a good sale.  =)

• Options
    Thanks, @SubaruLou.  I ordered the V4 this morning.  $156.00 with no tax and free shipping.  It has already shipped!  That's what I call good customer service.  Thank you to both you and @Ninabean for the heads-up on the sale.

• Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 186
    Just ordered a V4 for our 2019 320s . Couldnt pass up the 35% off offer as one of these has been on the "wish" list since we purchased our T@B . 
    I almost ordered the compact as the RVLock website states that it has the same functions as the V4 , just smaller . Apparently this may not be true ? After reading some reviews , it appears that you can NOT turn off the beeping sound function if you do not wish to have it . 
    So, $156 with free shipping and no tax , it was the V4 for us , as we would rather not have the annoying beeping sounds bother our camping neighbors (or us!) . 
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    I turned off the beeping by pressing and holding the “1” button until I heard a beep. Without the beep you have to listen closely but you can hear the lock working.
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 186
    Photomom said:
    I turned off the beeping by pressing and holding the “1” button until I heard a beep. Without the beep you have to listen closely but you can hear the lock working.
    Is this on the compact model or V4 ? 
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD