New 2021 T@B 320s Prototype video .

Comments

• Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    I believe Scott Hubble said there would be an external propane connection near the rear passenger side for those who want to hook up a grill, fire pit, etc., so having two propane tanks could be a plus. Also, the cabinetry is still solid wood beneath the veneer and available in dark or light like the current 400.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @DougH. There is the key to your success top loading.    When you open the door you don't dump all of the cold air out on the floor.   
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 220
    I love the changes. it was time for an updated look. I think it is taller in the middle as well. Much more functional.

• HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 7
    Saw the Prototype...Love It (overall)!

Last year I went to the RV Show and spent more time going over the 320 than all the other units I looked at combined. As much as I liked the 320 I ended up going with the T@G because the bed in the 320 was not long enough for me. 

Looking at the 2121; I liked the exterior. Very sleek. But please, if you are going to have an external speaker, at least make it an option. The LP tub is a good upgrade as well. I like the new graphics options.

Overall, the interior is nice.

In the Galley, there is no food prep area to speak of. I like the refrigerator. The NorCold Cooler in my T@G draws twice the amp hours as the IsoTherm. Outlet placement is bad. Please put another drawer below the sink at the floor. Otherwise you are on all fours to get stuff in and out of that space. I'm glad they are making the microwave optional. 

In the Head, the cassette toilet is a home-run. The solid door is very welcome. The sink, while it looks nice, appears to be difficult to use. Seems you would have to hover over the toilet while not banging your head against the ceiling. Just do away with it. I can use the Galley sink.

Main Salon looks very European. I'm not mad at it. The split bed and pull outs are very cool. Gives you several options for setting up the bed. But, no matter how cool, if the bed isn't longer, I'll have to stick with my T@G. I wonder if there will be a lot of noise and vibration from the AC being under the bed?  

And finally, there isn't a lot of storage. Moving from a T@G to the 320, that lack of storage shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure nuCamp can figure something out. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the production model. 

• Jackie_DaveJackie_Dave Member Posts: 73
    I can't say I hate the changes. I like the look from the outside
    Would miss the black tank. Not sure I'd want to dump a cassette.
    I'm surprised they didn't put in the HEPVO trap under the kitchen sink. It's a great addition and space saver.
    Would also miss the overhead cabinets in the kitchen.
    The fridge isn't that big of a deal as long as the battery was in good shape.
    If the bathroom sink gray water can be used to flush the toilet, then I wouldn't mind washing my hands in there. To brush my teeth, the jury is out on that.
    Love the split rear seat and the bed slats. It would be nice if they could/would have cut the back "headboard" in to two pieces for ease of entry. And added a lid stay to keep the top open on it's own.
    No need for a microwave, I'll take the very small cabinet for the lack of storage in the kitchen.
    So on that, I think I'll keep my 2018 T@b for a very long time.
    2018 T@B 320-S / 2007 Toyota Tundra
    Harpers Ferry, WV
  • 1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    So I don't own a 320 (we own a 400), but I do have some thoughts on these changes - especially because I bet some of these changes are coming to the 400 as well.

The tub in the front looks like a no-op from the existing diamond plate tub.  The ABS tubs didn't impress me and I got the impression from our dealer that most people option the diamond plate tub as a standalone upgrade - I'm not surprised nuCamp dropped it.  Net Plus.

The fridge - the sales rep must have misspoken.  First off, I'm a big fan of AC/DC fridges.  They should be much more efficient than AC/DC/Propane fridges and safer.  He states 2.5AH, which would be a 2.5amp draw constantly.  Comparing that to the DC fridge in our 400, it draws less than 1AH.  What I think he meant is 2.5amp peak draw.  Our fridge is something like 4.1amp peak draw (on setting 2/3); however due to the duty cycle, it only ends up running for a few minutes every hour.    IMO (assuming a spoken typo) Net Plus

I'm not a big fan of outdoor speakers.  It was something I thought I wanted at first, but you quickly realize how obnoxious it can be at a campground. - Neutral

Similar with the quick connect for propane.  Seems nice, but then you need to carry around a 20 ft propane hose - I'm not sure it's worth the trade off.  - Neutral

They do say tan cabinets will be available (Birch), so no need to get worried about that.  I do take some issue with 'real wood' when they're really using plywood, but I guess it's better than cardboard or MDF. Neutral

Clearly nuCamp is confident in the Elwell Air8 AC.  My wife and I made a 2020 Tab 400 youtube video that seemed to take off for a while (55k views).  The most common comment we got was asking about how well the AC works.  Seems that it's both a big problem AND a big concern.  nuCamp needs to nail the AC issues and put it behind them, otherwise they're going to lose alot of sales.  They talk about aesthetics, but they really need to inspire confidence in functionality. Net Minus

The new keder rail looks worse, but if it's a durability improvement than I understand why they're doing it. Neutral

The layout, table, bed, etc all just doesn't apply to us as 400 owners.  I hope they don't reduce storage.  Storage ends up being soooo important when traveling.

Overall I think nuCamp is mostly going in the right direction.  I hope they're internally sorting the AC unit, but other aspects/improvements look like they're listening to customer feedback.
    2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 7
    I just heard back from nuCamp and they are saying the bed size on the 2021 320 will remain the same. Buzz Kill. 
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited October 2019
    So they were planning on the slide out bed trays I was talking about:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9739/omni-bed-for-t-b-320-oem-suggestion
    However, I suggested two positions so the single bed is only a few inches wider on each side if you want two single beds with space between them. All the way out is one larger single. The bench cushion back would split into two sections with only one section needed for the narrow single (just like most modders have done).
    As far as my opinion of the 320 prototype overall - it's going to sell well. The pros far outweigh most of the perceived cons from current owners. 
    If someone wants a "vintage" T@B there's a fairly constant supply trickling through the For Sale section here. Perhaps we can charge more when that time comes. :s
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I'm holding judgement until I see the CS model. Not a fan of any of the "S" models. But I'm not a fan of the Alde or the new A/C either. LOVE my CoolCat. Losing underbench storage stinks. My biggest issue is the fact they have almost completely done away with customization. I would be more than willing to pay top dollar for a completely custom T@B. A limited run custom "line" would be nice for those that are willing. One thing I also noticed they said with the new tub, they have "lengthened" the frame. So will boondock racks still be available?
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited October 2019
    I have a feeling now that a visual has been put out there, some clever T@bbers are going to be making this exact mod on their existing trailers...
    2015 T@B S
  • gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I freaking love this new T@B!  But I love my 2015 T@B as well and have no plans to sell it for some time.  I feel I am one of the few Tabbers that have little need for under cabinet storage.  I carry a few items but have lots of leftover space.  I love to have the option for a cabinet versus microwave.  Right now, I stare at a AC unit that has never been used (I bought off the lot).  Black tanks don't bother me, but I don't think a cassette toilet would either.  I love the flexibility of the interior space.  I also like the kitchen upgrades.  I have no use for an outdoor speaker.  I would definitely buy this new T@B.
  • SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    ScottG said:
    I have a feeling now that a visual has been put out there, some clever T@bbers are going to be making this exact mod on their existing trailers...
    That's a mod I would be very interested in. One of you handy guys figure it out and post a how-to!
    Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    On above "handy mod" quip, I was referring to the slide out bed platform.
    Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    Would the new fridge mount in my 2018 without to much cabinet work? I love it Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    edited October 2019
    We don't have an "S" type T@B so have no experience with a black tank.  However our first impression of the cassette is it would be in the negative column if we were looking at a T@B.  

We don't note a capacity for the cassette being mentioned but can not see it approaching the size of the current 8 gallons black tank.  Wouldn't this be a negative for boondocking in a place without dump facilities?

The same would hold true in our thinking in the typical, to our experience, state park campsite that have electric and water but no sewer.  Eight gallons with one dump at the end of the weekend, even an extended weekend, seems preferable versus a possible dump trip each day.  The possible plus to the cassette is one might miss the Sunday morning line at the dump station.

When staying in a site with sewer just hooking up seems preferable, particularly for an extended stay.  You would hook up for gray water anyway.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The cassette toilet tank will be in the 5 gallon range, per a conversation I had with nüCamp employees when I was there two weeks ago. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    I guess everyone has their priorities......we have never had much of an issue with black and grey water so the cassette toilet is no bid deal.     Honestly they were making a big deal about the room savings by removing the black tank,   not sure I saw that in the video,  probably need to see it in person to either appreciate it or be disappointed by another marketing bullet point. 
    also I would make both spaces under the cabinet and refrigerator into drawers. It will be pretty hard to reach under the left hand side space and retrieve anything
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    We don't have an "S" type T@B so have no experience with a black tank.  However our first impression of the cassette is it would be in the negative column if we were looking at a T@B.  

We don't note a capacity for the cassette being mentioned but can not see it approaching the size of the current 8 gallons black tank.  Wouldn't this be a negative for boondocking in a place without dump facilities?

The same would hold true in our thinking in the typical, to our experience, state park campsite that have electric and water but no sewer.  Eight gallons with one dump at the end of the weekend, even an extended weekend, seems preferable versus a possible dump trip each day.  The possible plus to the cassette is one might miss the Sunday morning line at the dump station.

When staying in a site with sewer just hooking up seems preferable, particularly for an extended stay.  You would hook up for gray water anyway.

The plus to a cassette is that you aren’t limited to using a dumping station. You can dump it in a restroom toilet, vault toilet, or even a freestanding portapotti. Although I seem to recall some parks having rules about not dumping in vaults. It’s also fully enclosed within the trailer, so theoretically easier to keep from freezing while using in winter.

The minuses are, you must be physically capable of lifting up to 40 pounds from the side of the trailer to the ground and up high enough to dump into a toilet. You’re more up close and personal with the contents if dumping in a toilet because you’re not using a long hose for that, and at best, you’ll need to dump more frequently because it only holds 5 gallons. The 5 gallon cassettes usually have wheels and a handle, so at least you can drag to to wherever you need to.

At worst...if you can’t lift the full cassette at 40 pounds, you’ll be dumping a LOT more frequently, depending on your physical limitations. I’m personally limited to 20 pounds brief lifting and drink a lot of tea and water during the course of the day, so I’d be stuck dealing with it close to daily. Daily doesn’t give tank chemicals enough time to break things down, so dumping will be more difficult. Because I also can’t hold that 20 lbs up long enough to pour it out into a toilet, the cassette starts to look like a dealbreaker for me. 

I would much rather they find a way to enlarge, fully enclose, and heat the tanks to turn the Tab into a proper four season camper.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Bear in mind with a cassette, it is only human waste, no flush water, thus you may be able to go longer than you think. You can't compare a five gallon cassette to a 10-15 gallon black tank which will also have a good quanity of flush water.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited October 2019
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Bear in mind with a cassette, it is only human waste, no flush water, thus you may be able to go longer than you think. You can't compare a five gallon cassette to a 10-15 gallon black tank which will also have a good quanity of flush water.
    Actually, the videos I’ve seen indicate there is some flush water involved. The Thetford holds around 2.5 gallons of water available for flushing. It definitely uses less than a traditional RV toilet though.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Good point @N7SHG_Ham.  Having no experience with cassette toilets (only cassette tapes!) I would not have thought of that.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    I remember 8 Track toilets.  I mean tapes.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    😂
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    my $0.02
    1. outside aesthetic changes:  eh.  different- but I think I like the old boss looking colored rails better. it's a unique style that is iconic. the bigger/metal tub is a good change tho.  Although- I've already got an outback with a rack and all.

2.  hate the solid bathroom door.  it's small enough in there- now it will seem even smaller. Cartridge toilet?  not sure I have an opinion.  I've got a dump station in my driveway and it's been pretty darn easy to deal with black/grey water.

3.  stainless sink- that's nicer.  I've already got some melt spots in the plastic one.

4.  yay- a spark starter on the range.  obvious improvement that should have been done years ago.

5.  uh- I use the heck out of those little cabinets above the kitchen.  gonna' miss them.  And the spot over the door for my paper towel roll is gone too.  and they put the outlet/charging port over the fridge, so now the phone sits on the counter rather than up in that little cubby on the left next to the radio.  like it better the old way.

6.  rear cabinets, split bed, and pull out bed supports- all great changes.

7.  new under sink cabinet and drawer looks nice.

8.  New fridge.  Wish I knew how much energy it really uses.  he said 2.5Ahr.  if it only uses 2.5Ahr per day- that's great- but doesn't seem right.  if it draws 2.5A (30w) when running, and runs 50% of the time- then that's like 300Ahr/day- which is too much.  Thing about the Norcold- is it will run a month off of one propane tank. no worries.

9.  All my chocks, rug, outdoor furniture, camping table, etc- live under the bed where I have external access with my 2019.  if the AC unit is down there- and no external door- not sure what people do.  (change made in 2020)
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
    i would look at top loading refrigerator too. small opening space, no loss of cold bottom air when you open it.

@morey000 I took off the boondock tub and platform and put on a truck tool box for the storage of that sort of thing. 
  • Sean_DebSean_Deb Member Posts: 9
    Just based on the video. We are NOT impressed at all. I will wait to see more details but at this time our plans to order a 2021 this Spring are gone, so very disappointed.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Overall, love the changes. The only things that I am not thrilled about are the cassette toilet and the graphics. Some of the T@g graphics are nice but these look like a step up from clip art. Not a fan. Hire a really good graphic designer to do some graphic cool packages. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• OlenaOlena Member Posts: 103
    Hahaha. I totally agree about the uninspiring graphics. When I heard about the new T@B model being more like the European model I was excited, but after seeing the prototype video the Nucamp version doesn't come close. I am sure the technical upgrades are top notch, but the Euro T@Bs are so posh and beautifully designed inside - like the cabin of a private jet! I wish there was some way to buy one of those, but I'll stick with my 2017 Q.
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock Solo