Options

Frame cracks where tongue bolts to frame

Comments

• Options
    chpivchpiv Member Posts: 20
    Here is my build date sticker and the driver's side and passenger side cracks.
    2015 Little Guy T@B Outback
    2017 Toyota Tacoma Offroad
    Bishop, CA
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    @chpiv, I've added your T@B to the record. It's the first new report we've seen in a while, but now that some 2015s are changing hands maybe a few more will surface.
    Note that I'm also keeping track of 2015s that don't show these cracks. So, if you are new owner of a 2015, please chime in on this issue regardless of the condition of your particular T@B.
    @Dalehelman, thanks for the update on your T@B. Glad to hear everything is stable.
    -----------
    Current totals:
    - 17 T@Bs reported with cracks (including one 2014)
    - 6 T@Bs reported without cracks
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RedDoorGalsRedDoorGals Member Posts: 23
    Hey folks, I'm late to this party, but we just had the wheel bearings repacked on our 2014 T@B 320 CS and I asked them to check the frame for cracks (because I'd seen this thread previously).  Count us in the "frame cracks, yes" group.  We have a crack on the passenger side and potentially another one forming.  Has anyone had a reenforcing weld done? or what has nuCamp responded to about the issue? We're in WA state, I'm not getting our trailer to nuCamp anytime soon. But I have a good welder (certified) close by that I could have a reinforcing weld put on.  Anyone taken such action? or have the cracks on your trailers stabilized??
    2018 T@B CS-S; pulled by a 2010 Toyota Tacoma v6
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I am the original poster of this thread. Since then I have logged nearly 15,000miles without making any repairs.To date the cracks are exactly as they were when I first found them. At this time I still have no plans for repair. Even though I was at Sugarcreek last summer. I do check them from time to time. 

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    idletabidletab Member Posts: 57
    Are frame cracks common on other brands?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @idletab , if you go to any owner’s forum for any brand of RV/camper/travel trailer, you will find there are some problems with all of them. 

What you don’t always find is how well a manufacturer reacts and repairs problems. This is where nüCamp RV does a great job. Other manufacturers let the problem fester AFTER the owner notifies them. 

This is why owner’s under warranty must contact their dealer first, and the dealer will contact the nüCamp factory. 

In the case of this 2014 T@B having cracks on its frame, an excellent course of action would be for @RedDoorGals to send an email to tech@nucamprv.com.  Please explain to Creed that you have cracks, give him your VIN (found on a label on the left side of your tongue), photos of the crack and ask him what you should do. If you want to ask about the local welder doing the work, ask him. He has all of the factory’s experts at his disposal and he does use them. Please be sure to come back afterwards and tell us what the solution is. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    idletab said:
    Are frame cracks common on other brands?
    I wouldn’t call a handful of cases limited to a specific time period “common” regardless of brand. But a Google search shows most of the first page results refer over and over to a persistent crack issue occurring over several years’ worth of trailer frames built by Lippert and used by multiple brands for different models ranging from tent trailers up to 5th wheels.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited August 2019
    And Lippert is generally known for quality products.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    I had frame cracks on my trailer.  Here are a few thoughts.

- I took my trailer to a very large trailer manufacturer here in Texas to see about welding the frame.  I didn't want to make the six day round trip to the nuCamp factory.  That is a lot of time and gas money.  The welder took a look and said, yes he could weld it, but I really needed to find out what was wrong with the frame to cause the cracks.

- I decided not to get the trailer welded, as I wasn't sure if somewhere down the road I might have a catastrophic failure on a highway and someone gets hurt.  Without knowing the exact problem, and whether something might happen again, it seemed too big a risk.  This was my thinking, and no judgement from me if someone else has their frame welded.  I'm only speaking for myself.

- Even though my trailer was out of warranty, nuCamp replaced the defective frame pieces at no charge to me.  They even paid for my hotel stay in the area while they worked on it.

- I later sold the trailer, not because of issues with the trailer, but because we got a new lab puppy and we needed a bigger trailer.  I was able to sell it knowing that I did the right thing getting the trailer fixed by nuCamp.  I sleep at night, not having to worry about the new owner.  (Well, at my age, I sleep most nights.)

- Would I buy another nuCamp?  Absolutely.  They are great little trailers and I was very impressed with how I was treated by nuCamp.

2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Unheard of for an RV company to pick up your hotel TaB.  NuCamp went above and beyond for you!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    To: RedDoorGals

If you look back on this thread to the May, 2018 time frame, you will see a series of posts I made on our 2015 T@B frame cracks where I ultimately had them welded by a trailer service here in Alaska where I now live. It was impractical to go back to Ohio to have the frame replaced and the trailer service guy didn't think I would have any further problems after the welds were made and the missing rivets were replaced by bolts.

Good Luck!

Fergie

• Options
    RedDoorGalsRedDoorGals Member Posts: 23
    Thanks everyone! I've contacted NuCamp and they've asked for photos of the cracks, which I'll send. Sounds like we could leave them or, for peace of mind, have them welded by a professional welder.  I'll complete the loop with nuCamp and let you all know where we end up.  Frankly, I"d probably just leave them, but my spouse has a higher level of anxiety than I do, so for future bliss-free travel, I might choose to have them welded!  
    2018 T@B CS-S; pulled by a 2010 Toyota Tacoma v6
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Wow, I think you are the first member that tackled this themselves!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    chpivchpiv Member Posts: 20
    My shoulders are still sore from drilling!
    2015 Little Guy T@B Outback
    2017 Toyota Tacoma Offroad
    Bishop, CA
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    I saw a picture on a FB post where the tongue was at a horrible angle going up.  I think it said the poster had hit a speed bump and the tongue snapped/cracked and the weight of the trailer went down and the tongue went up.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I saw a picture on a FB post where the tongue was at a horrible angle going up.  I think it said the poster had hit a speed bump and the tongue snapped/cracked and the weight of the trailer went down and the tongue went up.
    I could easily see that happening when one overloads the tongue.  There have been some posts of folks loading the tongue with everything they own, thinking that as long as they don't exceed their tongue weight(of the vehicle) all is good.  One may have a rude awakening...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
    I was reading the manual for the 400 and I know somewhere it mentioned not towing these trailers with anything larger than a 1-ton truck (I think) because it could cause fatigue in the frame and lead to cracks (my guess is due to the suspension dynamics at play?). Not sure that’s the issue here but something to note.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    edited March 2021
    The FB post of the damaged trailer with the tongue sticking up was a TADA.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    And just to clarify, the frame cracks discussed here seemed to be limited to certain 2015 T@Bs. It seems there may have been a run of imperfect frames. Thus far, I'm not aware of any of the affected trailers having an actual failure.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG
    You are correct no failures. As a mater of fact our cracks have never worsened after 6 years. I believe they are fractures that occurred in the stamping process. Then appeared when the huck bolts were installed. The other 3 bolts are perfectly fine and according to the frame manufacturer more than adequate.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    This subject popped up on FB today on a 2015 or so trailer.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    The FB post of the damaged trailer with the tongue sticking up was a TADA.
    Ain’t the interweb fantastic!
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    BrookyBrooky Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2021
    Just reading the post about cracks in the frame where the tongue connects to the main fram. I have a 2015 T@b CS-S Max, with cracks on both sides, the lower front bolt area. How have you repaired?

@Brooky - please reduce the size of your posted photos:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/47/what-size-should-my-posted-forum-photos-be#latest

• Options
    @ScottG
    You are correct no failures. As a mater of fact our cracks have never worsened after 6 years. I believe they are fractures that occurred in the stamping process. Then appeared when the huck bolts were installed. The other 3 bolts are perfectly fine and according to the frame manufacturer more than adequate.
    I was the original poster for this thread. I am pretty sure those cracks occurred during the manufacturing process, and not gotten any worse. They look almost identical to ours. I am not concerned with ours, and I don’t think you should be either. Here is a picture of our tongue set up. Which includes a Honda generator under the gray tub.Lk 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I may be mistaken, but someone on a FB page had similar cracks and they said nucamp was sending them a repair kit.
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    I may be mistaken, but someone on a FB page had similar cracks and they said nucamp was sending them a repair kit.
    @Tampakayaker, I think if you look back in this discussion you will find somebody did the same thing here. IIRC it involved bolting on some heavy reinforcing plates.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Correct I also received the bolt on reinforcement plates. Although I have never installed them. I have yet to see any changes in the cracks since the first day I found them 6 years ago and thousands of miles.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Reminds me I've got to take my spring inspection look at my frame. Still no cracks as of last season. Fingers crossed.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    As far as I know. No one has inspected their frame found no cracks. Then later developed cracks. That why I contend the cracks occurred during the manufacturing process, and were not caused from road stress.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun