Mods/Upgrades while waiting out social distancing . Please share yours.

Comments

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    It's beautiful.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    edited April 2020
    We performed a simple mod to stow the bed slats for our 320 CS at the back of the cabin on the wooden ledge between the opposing seats.  The Lagun table is factory mounted to this ledge.  We added three strips of furniture pads on top of the ledge to cushion and soften any blows from the slats as the tab travels down the road.  The slats are held in place by complementary velcro strips stuck to the back wall and then to the band of velcro that wraps around the slats.  It's a simple mod specific to CSs.  We'll see how this works on any lesser maintained roads.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @SlackerBill, can you post a photo of how you stow the bed slats?
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    To improve upon this you may use longer strips of velcro. I'm considering putting a removable section of foam pipe insulation around the Lagun table leg.  The slats don't get in the way of your seating; your shoulder hits the overhead cabinets long before reaching the slats.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited April 2020
    Very clever @SlackerBill!  This is a first.  We substituted half of the small slats for 3 boards to be used with a single bed set up.  I usually stow those in the wet bath, on the shelf next to the toilet.  I may use your idea!  You can even travel with the table top secured in place.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited May 2020
    Had a chance to fully deploy my solar to see what I would get in full sun today.   Not bad.  This is with three renogy 160 watt flexible and the stock roof solar.

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    I like the "Time remaining : Infinite" line!
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    Deb55 said:
    We had a Maxxair fan installed to replace the Fantastic Fan. People who have done this, what did you do with the Fantastic Fan that was removed? Ours was only used twice, so it's nearly new. 
    We're having this done at the Mother Ship along with a couple of minor warranty fixes. We're having them move the Fantastic Fan (and its MaxxAir cover which we had installed at the dealer upon delivery) to the bathroom to replace the cheap, noisy OEM fan. 

How do you like the MaxxAir fan so far? I've heard nothing but good things from lots of happy campers (intentional pun brought on by cabin fever...sorry) :-) 
    I just replaced the Fantastic fan in our 400 with the Maxxair fan and so far I love it. Installation wasn’t really that difficult. It’s quieter, much more adjustable and seems more powerful. The ability to use it in the rain is a huge bonus, plus the remote is the bomb! :)  

I’ve considered using the old fan to swap out with the bathroom fan, but I honestly even though our 400 is only a 2018 it doesn’t look in the best of shape. Totally overkill, but now I’m thinking about just getting another Maxxair fan for the bathroom :)
    Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.
    JeffroNC said:
    Here are some things I have done both before and after our trip.
    We added a memory foam topper but in order to access the storage under the bed, we cut it into three pieces. Then we used crib sheets to keep them in place. We use an RV Superbag for our bedding which has been great. We really don't notice the seams.

I moved the shower curtain from behind the toilet. Because I like to stand when using it. :-)

I put shelves in the closet. Netting from Organized Obie will be here tomorrow. The vacuum is on its charger base, plugged into the 110 outlet in the cubby by the bed.

One of these switches turn off the TV and radio as well as the 5-volt supply I installed behind the television to power my Fire Stick and Raspberry Pi media server. The other one controls the power supply I use for my CPAP. It converts 12 volts to the 24 volts needed by the unit. With the humidifier off, it only draws 12 watts.

Finally, I installed some 12 volt sockets under the driver side seat to connect my laptop 12 volt adapter and charge devices when dry camping. I had great luck finding the wires that run to the 12 volt panel by the sink. This is a much better location. In hind site, I could have moved them down a few inches to prevent interference with the table in its low position. I don't envision ever using that feature. A lagun table is my next project.

I have learned a lot from the group and I hope somebody can use these.
    Looks great. Couple of questions. Do you mind if I ask where you purchased your memory foam mattress and how thick it is?  Also, where exactly did you access the power for the USB outlets and where did you run the wiring. Thanks!
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @Michael49 I got the foam topper on sale at bed bath and beyond. Nothing special. The details on the wiring are in a discussion titled:

12 volt outlet at dinette

2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• quickkarlquickkarl Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2020

I have a very basic T@b, no heat, sink, stove. I do a have a/c and fridge. so i added a drawer . Drawer was made by a good friend of mine.
    Welcome to the Forum!  Nice work!  Good use of that cabinet.  Why no heat?
  • quickkarlquickkarl Member Posts: 6
    i bought it used, didnt have it. i do have a electric and propane space heater
    What year @quickkarl?
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    edited May 2020
    Built this since the closest sewer drain ..at my house is about 50 foot away.  Tested it today and it worked great.  Hooked up to the drain using a dishwasher hose then two 25 foot sump pump hoses.  Only issue was when I went to connect the clips to the T@B battery and discovered it’s inside a battery box and the terminals aren’t exposed.  So substituted my truck battery and jumper cables.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
    Just curious, what sort of drain are you pumping your tanks into?
    Cbusguy said:
    Just curious, what sort of drain are you pumping your tanks into?
    We have a clean out outside of one of our bathrooms, that goes around to the front of our house then to a septic tank.
    Tampa FL
    Ya had me worried.....had visions of cousin Eddie
    Cbusguy said:
    Ya had me worried.....had visions of cousin Eddie
    Nah, I don't own a bathrobe or a flapped winter hat, plus I don't smoke!  :)
    Tampa FL
    edited May 2020
    Michael49

To remove the hinges you need to remove the sink. 4 screws on top of the sink, unthread the drain at the base of the sink. Then disconnect the hot and cold water lines. Remove the glass top from the hinges. Now you must remove the original faucet. I found this difficult without damaging the hot and cold attachments at the base of the faucet. If you can get the PEX fittings apart it should come out, if not the hot or cold nipple will break off and it will come out.

Now for the hinges, each hinge is installed complete with 2 rivets. The rivets need to remain so your sink does not leak. So you need to remove 2 screws with nuts and 2 springs each side of the riveted hinge frame. Once these are removed you will need to flex the hinge to remove it from the hinge pass through opening. You should pad between the hinge and sink and flex the hinge so it bends enough to slide out the hinge opening. Once both are out you are ready to install the faucet. 

You will need 2 double male 3/8 compression fitting nipples, and a short 3/8 female to 1/2 female hot and cold line. These will connect between the faucet plumbing and the Tab plumbing. 

Hope this was helpful, sorry to ramble.
    Thanks for your help!......

Removing those hinges was a major pain! - but I got it done without snapping any rivets. :)

Also, because I purchased the sprayer version I had to modify the stop point for the sprayer weight - used electrical tape so it would stop a bit higher and not lay on the shelf. :)

I also have a silicone coated rolling sink cover on order to cover the sink when not in use and to use as a drying rack.

• BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    Nice work, looks great.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited May 2020
    I've had the Visor Pole Repair on my list for ages, and bought some replacement poles from Tent Pole Technologies. Under the "I want parts and materials to build my own poles"  I ordered 9.5 mm poles with the ferrule ends.  Tent Pole Tech will want to know the length of the pole you need.  (The visor pole segments are different sizes, so measure them).
    I used: 
    A pair of mini vise grips.  You will need something to hold the shock cord and keep it from snapping back. 
    A pair of needle nose pliers to untie the knot at the end of the shock cord. 
    Something to handle the broken fiberglass sections you are replacing.  I used gloves.  The tiny fiberglass shards can hurt!
    A 3 foot section of stiff 12 AWG wire.  With help from a You Tube video, I discovered the easy way to draw the shock cord through the pole.   Anything you have that is long and thin enough to slip through the pole with the shock cord butt spliced to it.
    Some scotch tape.
    Picture 1:  The mini vise grip is used to grab the shock cord at the point you want to start replacing pole sections.  The pole on the right will be replaced.  This keeps the cord from slipping back into the pole set.  After you have trapped the cord, you can untie the little knot at the end of the shock cord.  (The knot isn't shown.  The needle nose pliers helped untie the knot.)
    Picture 2:  With the knot untied, and the vise grips holding the shock cord, the pole (or poles) can be slipped off the cord.
    Picture 3:  I found some 12AWG wire that fit through the pole, about three feet.  Using the scotch tape, I butt spliced the shock cord to the end of the wire, and tried to smooth the tape as much as possible.
    Picture 4:  The wire passed easily through the inside of the replacement pole, pulling the shock cord along with it.  I held on to the cord, and moved the vise grips to this end of the pole to hold it in place.  I retied the knot at the end, and that was it.  Took just a few minutes.
    I had another pole set that had two broken sections that required removing 5 sections and rethreading the shock cord.  That didn't take long, either, except my butt splices had to be redone a couple of times.

I promise never to use this part of my floor ever again for a photo session!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited May 2020
    Today, I finally got brave enough to install a cutoff switch on the stereo.

As much as I like the clean look of the flush mount installs I’ve seen, I simply don’t have the tools or skill set to do a perfect, professional looking install of that kind, and who knows when I could get someone to help these days? I opted instead for a simple, freestanding, adhesive-backed switch that I could route through the same hole between the cabinets used by the kitchen light. So no drilling at all, and if the switch isn’t as attractive as everyone else’s, well, it’s hidden from view and placed high inside the left hand cabinet out of the way, where nothing is likely to bump it. It works, and I’m pleased.

Switch is this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G17HWW8/

Next up is the faucet, waiting on UPS to bring the last parts today, because it turns out the 2019’s plumbing differs from earlier models, so what’s a super simple job for everyone else with a 320 is a bit harder on this model.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Looks good to me, @VictoriaP!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Bayliss said:
    Looks good to me, @VictoriaP!
    Thanks! Definitely would have preferred a more “finished” look, but having a working kill switch for that parasitic draw is the most important thing. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Please remember to reduce your photo size before posting.  If you need help, just ask.
This discussion has been closed.