Options

Refilling fresh water tank in T@B 320 from a water jug

LauingerLauinger Member Posts: 30
When refilling my freshwater tank with a 6 gallon water jug with a 1/2” diameter spout using gravity feed, should I be concerned about too much PSI rate going into the tank compared to a hose with a 50 PSI regulator?

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited June 2020
    Gravity on earth at sea level is ~14 psi, so you’re safe. Unless you need to get into this kind of “stuff”: https://a1133-27532357.cluster47.canvas-user-content.com/courses/1133~969642/files/1133~27532357/course%20files/Pages/3.1%20Creating%20Water%20Pressure?download=1&inline=1

then as usual, I’m totally clueless except to say we’ve filled our freshwater tank many many times using a weak siphon pump for 6 gallons and haven’t burst a pipe yet.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Lauinger Welcome to the forum and happy camping!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    Try a siphon - much easier and no wet shoes!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited June 2020
    @Lauinger, A shaker siphon is handy for this, especially in today's environment of infection control (you don't have to suck on the siphon hose to get it started).  You can buy one, or make your own, as I did here..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8960/how-to-make-a-shaker-siphon-for-adding-fresh-water

PS: Great answer, @jgram2!  All the air (atmospheric pressure due to gravity) for many miles high above a 1-inch square at sea level only weighs about 15 pounds; and for pure water, your link shows if the water jug was 27" tall, it would weigh only a pound per square inch. 
    Moreover, since the pouring through a spout is not a closed system, there really isn't any pressure buildup like at the city water connection.  In fact, as water enters the fresh water pipe and into the tank, the air is allowed to escape from the tank through a small air tube, instead of building up pressure, to allow the water to flow in more smoothly (if not poured too fast).
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,588
    Lauinger said:
    When refilling my freshwater tank with a 6 gallon water jug with a 1/2” diameter spout using gravity feed, should I be concerned about too much PSI rate going into the tank compared to a hose with a 50 PSI regulator?

When filling the fresh water tank from a jug or even a hose water pressure is not a real concern as water just flows down an open pipe into an 11 gallon (or so) plastic tank.

When connected to City Water the 50 PSI limit is important as the City Water connection flows directly into the T@B fresh water pipe distribution system which can fail above 50 PSI.

To move water from the tank to the water distribution system one needs to run the Water Pump, which has it's own 50 PSI (or so) control.

Diagram for general reference:

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    LauingerLauinger Member Posts: 30
    Thanks all. This is quite helpful.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @BrianZ, that Shaker-Siphon of yours is pretty clever.  I had not seen that thread previously (posted before I joined this illustrious forum.)  You did a really nice job making it, and your instructions and photos are excellent.  Will that work with a jug or other water container, or is it only meant for use with a bucket full of water?
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited June 2020
    Thanks, @Bayliss.  
    Yes, it should work with any container with an opening it will fit through (=>1.5" maybe).  It also helps to have enough depth to shake the hose up & down without pulling it out of the water.
    I have used it with our 6-gal container sitting on top of the tub, with end of tube in the fresh water port, the shaker end in the container opening & below the water surface, then shake it up & down quickly for 5 secs until the water flows.  Using a clear tube allows you to see the water climbing inside the tube until it starts flowing down into the tank, then just let it go until empty.  Slower than a regular hose, but doesn't require monitoring.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    KARKAR Member Posts: 84
    So when I pull the dump valve on my 2015 T@B little guy does it empty both the potable water tank and the gray water tank at the same time? We don' t have a toilet so no black water tank.
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    No.  It only empties the gray water tank.  Not sure where the fresh water tank drain is on your model, but look in front of the driver side tire and behind the passenger side tire.  (Oops - in front of the passenger side tire.)
  • Options
    @KAR, "no," pulling the dump/waste valve only drains your gray water tank (i.e., dirty water from your sink and shower.)  There is a separate drain for your potable (fresh) water tank.  On my 2019 T@B 320 S, that drain is under the trailer near the entry door step.  Essentially, it is to the left if you are facing the door.  There is a small spigot that you turn and the water will drain.  I assume it is in the same location on your 2015, but someone else who owns the same model can correct me if I am mistaken.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    2015 water drain should be near the step at the door. I think it is right in front of the passenger side tire, but inset to the frame. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Thanks.
    We are watching some great videos on gray water tanks and some T@Bs have sensors and gauges. We don't have anything like that. Wondering how people know when their gray water tank is full or empty as well as their potable water tank. I'll go out and see if I see anything under the T@B by the step. I've only seen the one plug to pull and a ton of water came out. We had taken it to the RV center to have it ready for camping and thought they probably filled it with potable water but  when all that water came out it made me question what I was emptying! So much to learn! Fun but a little daunting!
    Here's a photo.

Nothing on the side of the stairs only this on the opposite side.

2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • Options
    @KAR, you will get used to it. Right now, when the water in the shower doesn’t go into the drain, the gray tank is full. I used to get 4 Navy showers and 3 dish washings in the 19 gallon gray tank, after I put an Oxygenics Fury water saving shower head in the shower. 

A Navy shower? Quickly wet yourself down. Turn off shower head, soap up, shampoo if needed, turn shower head back on and quickly rinse. It works, it gets easier. You’ll learn as you go on. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @jkjenn - where was your fresh tank drain on your 2015?  I wonder if it is different without a wetbath?
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @jkjenn - where was your fresh tank drain on your 2015?  I wonder if it is different without a wetbath?
    I had the 5 gallon freshwater tank under the sink and the freshwater drain was under the front driver side.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    IIRC there was a big change mid-model year in 2015. On my later (Dec 2014 build) 2015 the FW drain is between the passenger side tire and step. Earlier models had the configuration described by jkjenn. Regardless, the FW tank will have its own drain separate from the grey tank.

I like my 2015 without the complicated (and often inaccurate) electronic gee-gaw. With time you will learn when to refill the FW and when to drain the grey tank.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG, after only 2 years without my 2014 T@B S Max, I’m have to really stop and think about the analog Alde thermostat and the FW drain! 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @KAR - did you find the drain?
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    @Verna, I confess I kinda' miss answering all the questions about the old Alde analog controls...  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    well, @ScottG, you are our resident expert because the rest of us have to look back at our notes!  You and @Chan know the analog by heart!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I only see the two items in the photo above. The sewer connector (Black) and the gray water (gray pull handle) I haven't found anything else under the T@B. Thanks for all the thoughts above.
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • Options
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @MuttonChops thanks for this diagram of the water system!!
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    Lhandley00Lhandley00 Member Posts: 10
    BrianZ said:
    @Lauinger, A shaker siphon is handy for this, especially in today's environment of infection control (you don't have to suck on the siphon hose to get it started).  You can buy one, or make your own, as I did here..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8960/how-to-make-a-shaker-siphon-for-adding-fresh-water

PS: Great answer, @jgram2!  All the air (atmospheric pressure due to gravity) for many miles high above a 1-inch square at sea level only weighs about 15 pounds; and for pure water, your link shows if the water jug was 27" tall, it would weigh only a pound per square inch. 
    Moreover, since the pouring through a spout is not a closed system, there really isn't any pressure buildup like at the city water connection.  In fact, as water enters the fresh water pipe and into the tank, the air is allowed to escape from the tank through a small air tube, instead of building up pressure, to allow the water to flow in more smoothly (if not poured too fast).
    Had one of these on my sailboat to transfer diesel fuel......https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Siphon-Safe-Multi-Purpose-Priming/dp/B000BG1X54/ref=pd_bxgy_2/140-1545769-3260701?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000BG1X54&pd_rd_r=c96c3284-d8e3-4e1f-8202-20c05c21e045&pd_rd_w=5tUCk&pd_rd_wg=3ocNr&pf_rd_p=ce6c479b-ef53-49a6-845b-bbbf35c28dd3&pf_rd_r=WNFYJEFCQTXMTFPMG811&psc=1&refRID=WNFYJEFCQTXMTFPMG811
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    This reply updated:  NEVER MIND.  I got my channel locks on the valve and got it to move.  **insert eyeroll**

Trying to fill my freshwater tank, but the Freshwater Tank Drain is open and I can't seem to get it closed -- looks like another "stopcock" style valve, but it isn't turning easily.  I don't want to break anything.  Any tips on which way to turn it to close?  2018 320S Boondock, drain is "conveniently" located behind the step on the passenger side.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    @PNWtabber, looking at your photo of the valve, it appears that you need to turn it counter-clockwise.  If that doesn't work, turn it clockwise.  It may just be a little stiff.  I wish I had my trailer at my house to quickly check it for you, and I thought I would have a photo of mine to show you what it looks like when closed, but the valve itself can rotate inside the drain hose and change the orientation, so my photo will just confuse you.  And yes, it is a poor location for the drain valve.

Here's a photo of the valve in the closed position, which @trimtab posted back in May 2020, but it too could be in a slightly different orientation than yours:

• Options
    Thanks @Bayliss.  I got brave and used my channel locks, gently, and got it to turn and close.   ;)

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    edited June 2021
    Lauinger said:
    When refilling my freshwater tank with a 6 gallon water jug with a 1/2” diameter spout using gravity feed ….
    Late to the party, but for anyone having difficulty filling their fresh water, here’s what I’ve been doing. Funnel with a tube for filling with a jug. Hose adapter with tube for when trailer is within distance of a spigot. Similar to what others do or am I doing it the hard way?

edit to add:
    angle cut at end of tube makes it easier to shimmy down the inlet.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options

If filling from a jug, use a 6 ft siphon hose. 

Or if filling using a hose:  

The fold out fill cap is tedious and often comes out, so many of us have replaced it with this: