For Those Who Relish Boondocking...A Head's Up

AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 658
Must admit up front I've not boondocked much since purchasing my rig. That said, even the preliminary thoughts of limiting access to public lands does not sit well with me, whether I use them or not. They are, after all, our lands...as mentioned here:

https://drivinvibin.com/2020/12/31/abolish-boondocking/
2020 [email protected] 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
'04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 5.3L Dino-killer
San Diego, CA
www.vividimagex.com
www.airbossone.com

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Member Posts: 1,920
    A whole article without a shred of evidence.  "Its happening in New Zealand".......quotes from an "RV park forum" that he doesn't name.......I'm sorry I clicked.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 658
    @pthomas745
    Take from it what you will...or not. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.vividimagex.com
    www.airbossone.com

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 2,808
    We should not take our Boondocking privileges lightly, or assume they will always be there.  Camping on public lands is a privilege that we currently enjoy, and to continue to do,so, we must follow the few simple rules in place to protect the environment and our continued use of these areas.  Also, paying attention to local policies regarding regional camping areas is also important, so we do not loose our privileges...
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Outback, Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • berggerbergger Member Posts: 256
     New Zealand and America are two completely different animals.  With such a deep history of public land use and don't tread on me philosophy I really don't see boondocking completely going away.  Certain areas may be closed off because they get trashed and over used, I've seen that often, but it's not going to become illegal in America.  Many cities already have codes prohibiting camping and honestly I could care less if I can't spend the night in a walmart parking lot.  I never would anyway.  But public lands are a different animal than a walmart parking lot.  Poorly written article that seemed to just be pushing you to join a lobbyist group.  
    2021 [email protected] 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
    Don't see myself spending the night in a Walmart lot either...with ya' there. 

Nor do I see use of public lands becoming illegal. Simply posted as a heads up. 

Think the underlying issue is there are forces out there that may not have a boondockers best interest at heart...both governmental and otherwise.  US media is full of examples of folks, whose IQ mirrors their height in inches, who could not care less about preserving our public lands.  

San Diego, CA
    www.vividimagex.com
    www.airbossone.com

• ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 91
    This seems a bit overblown. These decisions are made on so at so many levels I don't see any organized national effort. Besides "boon docking" means many different things to different people. Dispersed camping, typically meant setting up camp on public lands where no camping facilities or designated sites exist. That has evolve in some places to include sites with limited facilities (a vault toilet) and designated sites. It is all because what once worked fine for a few dozen campers a year is over loaded with hundreds of campers. Those responsible for managing these areas need to adjust management as numbers increase. In most cases on public lands the management options are open to public debate and input.
    2021 [email protected] 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,281
    A whole article without a shred of evidence.  "Its happening in New Zealand".......quotes from an "RV park forum" that he doesn't name.......I'm sorry I clicked.
    Agree....interesting enough, Driving and Vibin were [email protected] owners for a brief minute when they first started FT life.

2021 [email protected] 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 [email protected] Nights: 71 | Total nights in a [email protected] 282 | 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk | [email protected] owner since 2014

• SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 89
    I think the point is not to take this for granted.  Vigilance is the cost of freedom.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 682
    Boondocking and overnighting are entirely different.  Anyone who acts in a way that their overnighting gives the impression of camping should not be surprised if they are asked to move on.  An overnight rest stop in designated areas should not be limited based on the vehicle you are driving.  Spending 12 hours or more parked in a rest area or retailers parking lot is abusing the intent/courtesy IMO.

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 471
    @rfuss928...I agree with what you said except for when a trucker can't find a spot to overnight in...and they have to continue driving...by law they can only drive so many hours and I'm sure most of them stay at the same spots pre-planned..no different than how my in-laws used to travel with their fifth wheel...I remember @Restless_Native saying that if she was going to overnight at a rest stop and it was almost full she continued on
    Former 2017 [email protected] Max XL
    2021 [email protected] Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
    ontheroad said:
    @rfuss928...I agree with what you said except for when a trucker can't find a spot to overnight in...and they have to continue driving...by law they can only drive so many hours and I'm sure most of them stay at the same spots pre-planned..no different than how my in-laws used to travel with their fifth wheel...I remember @Restless_Native saying that if she was going to overnight at a rest stop and it was almost full she continued on
    I prefer to not stop at overnight areas that are full, but I remember one occasion driving through a ton of rain and finally landing in Ogallala at the Walmart. 

They have an overnight parking lot, but I parked in the main lot by the overnight lot was full.

The Walmart employee was apologetic that it was so loud and assured me they welcomed me in their main lot. They actually built that Walmart dues to anticipated overnight parking and the revenue that it would generate.

I hate it when I see people abusing the Walmart privilege. I saw an RV with all sorts of stuff, including camp chairs out at Walmart in Montrose, CO. Disappointing.

2021 [email protected] 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 [email protected] Nights: 71 | Total nights in a [email protected] 282 | 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk | [email protected] owner since 2014

• ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 382
    I doubt this article pertains to Federal lands, National Forest, and other protected, publicly available lands.  It most likely refers to local public lands that are part of local city/town governments that are *not* protected by law.  These lands should be regulated in regards to camping.  Not all public land is available for use however you see fit.

I'll be perfectly honest here - there are way too many irresponsible campers out there now.  Here in Colorado I've seen some pretty trashed camp sites from irresponsible hunters, weekenders, and city folk that drive up into my backyard and leave their... waste... wherever they please.  And then there are the transient folk masquerading as campers.  They pull into parking lots, side streets, private land, or city owned land and stay until they are kicked out.  Yes, regulate this.  It is getting really bad.

National Forest lands are taxpayer owned so these will be available for use for quite some time.  I doubt it will last forever, though.  This is where I 'boondock', and I take care of my campsite and pack my crap out.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,504
    @Michigan_Mike, thank you. Well thought out, elegantly said and appropriately applied. -Denise & Jim.
    2017 [email protected] sofitel([email protected])TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,060
    So it's Quartzite area RV time again.  I'm based in Texas, so would normally travel through NM.  Besides, it snows too much in Texas.  If I read:

https://cv.nmhealth.org/travel-recommendations/

...regarding travel through New Mexico, it says I have to enter the state, but thereafter only leave the place of lodging (the trusty [email protected]) for medical care. And that's for the period of 14 days, or after the much smaller RV show this year is over.

I've been vaccinated (TX & FL started their Phase 1B for non-healthcare, non-1rst responders, and non-nursing home residents/staff much earlier than other states), but it sounds like to be in compliance with NM public health orders, I'd have to do TX -> OK -> CO -> UT -> AZ.

Anybody else travel through NM lately and been advised how RV through travelers are being handled?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 [email protected] S Max, Austin TX

Campendium has partnered with Friends of the Bridger-Teton NF to raise money to install pit toilets at one of the more popular boondocking spots just outside if GTNP. They have had volunteer camp hosts in that area for a few years and it is making a difference. 

I wish that we saw more creative approaches to solving these problems vs. the wholesale shutdown of areas that we have been seeing over the past few years. 

DougH said:
    So it's Quartzite area RV time again.  I'm based in Texas, so would normally travel through NM.  Besides, it snows too much in Texas.  If I read:

https://cv.nmhealth.org/travel-recommendations/

...regarding travel through New Mexico, it says I have to enter the state, but thereafter only leave the place of lodging (the trusty [email protected]) for medical care. And that's for the period of 14 days, or after the much smaller RV show this year is over.

I've been vaccinated (TX & FL started their Phase 1B for non-healthcare, non-1rst responders, and non-nursing home residents/staff much earlier than other states), but it sounds like to be in compliance with NM public health orders, I'd have to do TX -> OK -> CO -> UT -> AZ.

Anybody else travel through NM lately and been advised how RV through travelers are being handled?
    Travelled thru northern NM in early October (Gallup, Albuquerque, Tucumcari) eastbound then again in mid/late November (Hobbs, Carlsbad, Roswell, Socorro, TorC) westbound. 

So, not exactly recently and given how this situation changes week to week perhaps not timely. What I can say is the entire time I was in NM (or any of the other 12 states I visited) I was never asked by anyone how long I had been in the state, where I was staying, was I just passin' thur, etc. All the RV parks were glad to see me and many owners weren't even sure themselves what was expected of them. And while they were all consciencious about it, they were not in a position to be the Wuhan police in their own establishment. Not good for business.

The reality is there is no way to monitor or enforce whatever "recommendations" the state decides to pass down. If you're just overnighting, not an issue. Pull in, park, wear a mask, distance, wake-up, and move on. Common sense stuff...probably what you're already doing and have been for, well, almost a year now. 

Fact is, state and local governments are relying on everyone to exercise self-control and judgment. That's basically all they can do. Do that, and you'll have no issues. 

Post up some pics and stories about Quartzite. Almost pulled the trigger on that one but my schedule just didn't permit it. Bucket list for me. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.vividimagex.com
    www.airbossone.com

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,060
    edited January 12
    @AirBoss Thanks!

From YT postings this week, it looks sparsely populated so far...

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 [email protected] S Max, Austin TX

Wow...no idea this post would generate this level of negativity. 

I get information from all manner of sources and make it a habit to not discount anyone's opinion out of hand. Was their article up to Woodward and Bernstein caliber...no. Did it contain some information some folks may find useful, I'd believe it may...,which was my motivation for posting it in the first place.

We're all entitled to our opinions. As I stated above, take from it what you will...or not. 

San Diego, CA
    www.vividimagex.com
    www.airbossone.com

• ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 91
    edited January 22
    No problem, really. If there is a serious threat to free dispersed/boondock camping it is that so many more people now doing it and the land can only sustain so much.
    2021 [email protected] 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado