Let’s love the Alde and ketchup on everything :-0

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389

This is much too important a thread to not join in.  

We are originally from upstate New York a region with a rich history of local hotdog brands that are worthy of note and set our standard for any hot dog research we’ve done T@Bing across the country.  The standard research environment for us is naturally a basic white bun and mustard.  As (tomato) ketchup is fundamentally a fruit, noted above, and thus should only be served as a side on French Fries.  A hotdog is properly prepared over a flame or on grill. We don’t discuss those downstate New York hotdog brands where they are often prepared by boiling in water. 

The standard mustard in the beginning was of course French’s as it was originally produced in Rochester NY.  We have moved on to a mustard research stage as French’s has fallen prey to corporate ownership and doesn’t seem the same anymore.   The current leader is Ringhand’s Beer Mustard which we discovered while visiting The Mustard Museum, listed on the National Registry of “Histerical” 🤣 Places, in Middleton, WI while T@Bing last summer.  This is a craft mustard and difficult to source.

We now live in Florida, an area where a good hot dog or mustard must be imported.

This all being said the current standard is a Rochester based Zweigle’s for a red hot and a Syracuse Hoffman’s Snappy griller for a white.  Note a hot dog should not be confused with any of the ancestral german wursts which are another subject entirely.

We love our Alde.

NYC, the official hot dogs are served with a slash of either yellow or Guldens type of mustard from a stick.

Further upstate (Hudson Valley) the roadside stands serve the dogs with a warm sweetish tomato based sauce with cooked onions in it.  Mustard is optional.

Quickserves have Guldens type mustard, warm sauerkraut (as opposed to the cold stuff at Sams and Costco), maybe relish, or the ultimate, hot dog chili (all meat finely ground and no beans).

In FL, they think the ultimate hotdog place is Portillios.  I'm not impressed.

About the only place I purchase a hotdog when we are out is either at Sams or Costco, just to have something to eat on the cheap.

I'd rather make them at home or camping, then spend a fortune at the overpriced foo foo places that sell them.

What part of NY were you from?
    We ate with ketchup in the Finger Lakes!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    @Tampakayaker originally we're from Rochester, did a few years in Buffalo and Syracuse, and then Auburn before coming to Florida 20+ years ago.

@jkjenn things must have changed in the last 20 years more than we thought.  We learned the ketchup taboo growing up.  Of course as mentioned elsewhere there was an under 18 exception. 

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    Love, love, love the Alde... oh and not only do I put ketchup on my hotdogs, but an equal slathering of real mayonnaise!   I don’t do mustard on hamburgers either.... only on the occasional pastrami sandwich.    How weird am I?
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Where are all the kraut dog fans? That’s the proper way to eat them. 😁

I did eat my share of kraut dogs when I was younger...West Coasters may remember Wienerschnitzel fast food hot dog places? Grew up with those nearby. Gave up hot dogs a while back, but when I still ate them as an adult, half the time I skipped the bun, sliced the dogs into rounds and tossed them into a hot frying pan to lightly sear, then ate them with a dab of dijon. Utter sacrilege, I know. My late husband thought I was nuts for doing that. He was a chili dog type.

But yes, mustard rules when it comes to any sort of cured meat! 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    Wienerschnitzel is still a "thing" here in Socal, and so are Kraut dogs.  I'm good for about 4 of their Chili Dogs.  Per year!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    Ah, a debate over the finer points of what to add whilst eating encased meat products. I think we need to set a baseline before selecting the condiment pairing. According to my research, these units might contain the following:
    • Meat trimmings and fat, e.g. mechanically separated meat, pink slime, meat slurry.
    • Flavorings, such as salt, garlic, and paprika.
    • Preservatives (cure) – typically sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite.
    If I have decided to eat this, I reserve the right to put whatever I want on it.  B)

BTW: We do love our Alde.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @JeffroNC
    Ya know...since you put it that way...it's kinda hard to argue with ya!  =)
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

No hot dog shaming allowed! 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    Amen!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    I never said I didn't eat them. LOL
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Looks like we’ve exhausted the Hot Dog discussion, so let’s move on to Pizza. Don’t even try to disagree with me on this (because I know a guy who knows a guy that will . . .). Home Run Inn Pizza. Chicago, Illinois. Simply the best. Ever. You agree, right?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    There was a place in Ridgway,CO called 550 Burgers that made the best pizza I ever had. Imagine how depressed I was to show up and find it out of business a couple of years back.

jenn - this just shows you never experienced the culinary joy of Home Run Inn Pizza. BTW, how can a restaurant named 550 Burgers be a killer pizza place? Located in a really small town maybe without a Pizza Hut?
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2021
    Well, about pizza... Of course pizza from Buffalo is the ONLY pizza worth considering.

In the late 70's when I moved to Wyoming, the only pizza they even knew about was Tombstone Pizza. Agghh! The name befits the sauce-coated cardboard inside the box! It was the same in Montana. They just had no idea what they were missing! Though they did offer all-you-could-drink Mountain Dew with it. (That was when I learned that Mountain Dew had caffeine in it... All night long)

Yep! There's a bit of eastern pizza-snobbery coming out from this corner! 

At the time, Wallenwein's (Wally's) was the best in town - but now of course, there's a pizza joint on every corner, raising the stakes...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    Can someone explain why a pizza is baked round, shipped in a square box then cut diagonally to eat? Life is to confusing as it is.   :s
    2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
    I will never understand "pizza wars."
    2017 Outback
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    If you like Neapolitan style brick oven pizza, check out the Ooni line of gas fired ovens. An absolutely genius design. Ooni even sells an accessory tote bag if you want to take it camping!
    2015 T@B S
  • PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    Tabaz said:
    Looks like we’ve exhausted the Hot Dog discussion, so let’s move on to Pizza. Don’t even try to disagree with me on this (because I know a guy who knows a guy that will . . .). Home Run Inn Pizza. Chicago, Illinois. Simply the best. Ever. You agree, right?
    Hey, we haven’t talked about corn dogs yet.
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 
  • Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Wienerschnitzel is still a "thing" here in Socal, and so are Kraut dogs.  I'm good for about 4 of their Chili Dogs.  Per year!
    Still more juice on the hot dog thread: I'm confused. Wienerschnitzel is a 100% veal cutlet, not a "mystery meat" hot dog.
    • Wiener = someone from Vienna
    • Schnitzel = cutlet
    • Wurst = sausage
    And I would add another Germanic fav of mine: Bratwurst with sauerkraut and grain mustard! It's been way too long since I enjoyed one. Next campfire meal, perhaps?
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
    Wikipedia has a whole section on the "etymology" of the chain's name.  The founder (an interesting story all by himself said:
    "According to Galardi, his wife came up with the name when looking through a cookbook. He was initially skeptical of the name, saying, "I told my wife going home nobody in their right mind would call a company wienerschnitzel. Three days later, I said, 'Hell, it's better than John's Hot Dogs.'"

And, to add one more twist:  my mother was born in Cork, Ireland, where refrigeration was scarce at the time.  She enjoyed butter on things like ham sandwiches, instead of mayo, etc.  We grew up thinking this was completely normal.  Yes, she would butter her hot dog bun. 
    Wasn't til I was older that I discovered how horrible the rest of the world considered my "ham sandwich with butter".  I've gained many converts over the years.  Well, some, at least.

2017 Outback
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    We buttered everything.  My favorite sandwich growing up (albeit acquired taste) was goose liver on buttered rye with ketchup and chocolate milk.  Yum!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Hmmm. I really like my hot dogs (with ketchup) on a buttered and grilled bun.
    2015 T@B S
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep, butter! Keeps the ketchup from soaking into the bun.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Tabaz said:
    jenn - this just shows you never experienced the culinary joy of Home Run Inn Pizza. BTW, how can a restaurant named 550 Burgers be a killer pizza place? Located in a really small town maybe without a Pizza Hut?
    I was as shocked as you, but there it was...anChanW said:
    Well, about pizza... Of course pizza from Buffalo is the ONLY pizza worth considering.

We had a place at the Arnot Mall in Big Flats, NY (Elmira-Corning area) called Picnic Pizza which had the best true NY style Pizza I have ever had.

Can we all start talking about White Castle hamburgers now?
    Tabaz said:
    Can we all start talking about White Castle hamburgers now?
    That would bring us to an all-time low.

You're right Jenn.  Not much ability to customize a Slidder.
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Fast Food: In n' Out Burgers
    Restraurant: Red Robin or Habit Burger
    Gourmet: Your best efforts on your own BBQ.
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

Wow - this Hot Dog discussion has legs. I've attempted to move it to pizza and hamburgers without success.  Going back to my original post, it was about ketchup.  Is there some underlying Freudian issues with this condiment that needs to be addressed by mental health professionals (in conjunction with RV manufacturers)? 
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @Tabaz : yes! the freudian remark is spot on!! We all have deep rooted "mommy daddy" issues.  We relate mustard & ketchup to our childhood and thus "mommy & daddy!" I AM a non paid professional(professional what? I don't know!)

TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback