Rusty Stainless Steel Sink

I have a new 2021 TAB 320S with a stainless steel sink...I think.  I've had it for a month or so and used the sink periodically without a problem.  However the other night (in my driveway) I ran some water through the sink from my fresh water tank.  I had filled the tank a few weeks ago with filtered water from my house.  Today, after the TAB had been closed up for a few days, I went inside to see rust stains all over the sink.  Some areas were quite deep and starting to pit!  I know that some lower grade and martensitic stainless steels will rust....but I was really suprised to see this.  Has anyone had a similar issue?  I read on line that I might need to get an iron filter for my water source, but I've never had significant rust stains anywhere else.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Not sure about the rust, but I would probably not leave water sitting in the fresh water tank.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Agree with Sharon_is_SAM, water left in the tank a few weeks will form bacteria that rapidly becomes stinky and potentially damaging to your health. (Legionella grows very well in RV tanks.) Never let it sit for more than a few days unused, best to dump and start over when it’s time for your next trip.

Given the cost of those stainless steel RV sinks and how common they are used across the industry, this is somewhat surprising to me. I’ve certainly never seen it mentioned with any of the previous models that have steel sinks. I would probably contact the dealer.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 255
    edited September 2020
    Thank you.  I cleaned it and applied a coat of wax.  I'll keep an eye on it.  Thanks for the tip about the fresh-water...I never really thought about that....first RV!
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Thank you.  I cleaned it and applied a coat of wax.  I'll keep an eye on it.  Thanks for the tip about the fresh-water...I never really thought about that....first RV!
    The wax is a good idea, but still, please report it to your dealer. Could be a one-off issue, or could be the first incident of a widespread problem that affects others with the same model.

On the fresh water thing: at this point, given that you left it for a few weeks, you’ll want to sanitize that tank before using. NuCamp is recommending 1/2 cup bleach mixed with one gallon of water, then fill the tank with clean water and let it sit a time before draining again. Instructions for the 2021 are here: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/10932/sanitizing-de-winterize-2021-t-b-320s

Plan to sanitize at a minimum first thing after dewinterizing, and every time you leave the tank sitting with water for too long after a trip. Some people do it more frequently, some just once a season. Even if you don’t drink your tanked water, bacteria in it can aerosolize with sink or shower use, and therefore can be inhaled...a good reason to keep your water system clean!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Basil48192, although we have an older model (before the 320 designation) here's what we do for fresh tank management. On the final leg home of your trip, open the low point fresh water tank drain. I know you have the nautilus water management system, but you should still have a low point drain. The normal bouncing as you travel jiggles out almost every bit of water, so there is not much left to host bacterial growth. We keep that drain open until our next trip, when we close it and fill the tank again. The tiny amount of air circulation helps to dry and keep stuff from growing in the system. However, you must fit your fresh water management to your region of the country and to the insect/vermin population and climate. If your area has mud wasps or other such critters, close your drain. In general, we don't have many such critters and this procedure works well. Good luck, adapt and survive, and most of all, Happy T@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    Thank you for the comments!  I sanitized yesterday and will definitely drain after every trip.
    @Basil48192 - one more thought - make sure you empty the Alde water tank also.  
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited September 2020
    You also have to remember that rust can form on ANY type of stainless steel depending on how it was machined, or finished. ALL, I repeat ALL of the tooling used for machining is made of tool steel or carbide which will rust. In the machining process there are parts of the tooling that end up embedded in the stainless.
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
    @Sharon_is_SAM:  Thanks again...I didn't realize there was a separate drain for the Alde...just found it.  So you drain that after every use as well?  Love the camper...the on-line manual could use a few extra chapters!
    @Dutch061:  Thank you.  I understand the carbon contamination issue as well.  It's just strange that it didn't show up until now.
    Just like the fresh water tank, it is best practice to drain the water from your Alde tank in between camping trips.  It’s not just because of the potential for bacterial growth - the Alde needs an air cushion.  See Alde 3020 manual quote below.

• AIR CUSHION
    The hydronic heating system is designed to have an air space, called an air cushion, at the top of the tank. This air cushion is essential for absorbing pressure surges in the hydronic heating system. Always renew the air cushion in the hydronic heating system after 10 days of use.

This can be done by opening the safety/drain valve on the hydronic heating system for a few seconds.

The air cushion allows expansion to take place and helps protect the hydronic heating system against pressure surges from the water pump.

NOTICE
    To maintain the air cushion, the hot water tank should be emptied approximately once a week to help ensure that a new air cushion is formed in the hydronic heating system.
  • XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 73
    edited September 2020
    @Basil48192 Did you use a spray cleaner in the sink that might have caused this?  I mention it because I had something similar (but not identical) happen to me. My Tab sink isn’t stainless steel (grey plastic material) and I used an orange coloured household spray cleaner on it and the stove.  I wiped it off but when I checked the trailer the following week there were rust coloured spots in the sink and on the edges of the stove.  I don’t know why it happened (and I can’t seem to get rid of them now) but ever since I only use mild clear spray cleaners.
    @XenanMe I don't thing I did....trying to recall.  I think I cleaned it with a household cleaner (Lysol) mixed with water.  Though I did just recently replace the stove-top glass cover so I may have gotten some 'Goo Gone' residue on the sink when I was cleaning off the old caulk.  Thanks for the tip!
  • NJ_DaveNJ_Dave Member Posts: 4
    We have a new 2021 TAB 320S with a stainless steel sink ... showing rust spots as well. 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    You can get a great stainless steel cleaner, called Barkeepers Friend.  This stuff works great to keep stainless clean, and should remove the rust spots too.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Mine has been fine since that orignal issue when it was new.  Maybe some residual chemicals or cleaners from the plumbing components?  
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Denny16 said:
    You can get a great stainless steel cleaner, called Barkeepers Friend.  This stuff works great to keep stainless clean, and should remove the rust spots too.
    cheers
    +1 for Barkeepers Friend 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    +2 for Barkeepers Friend
    After a trip to the west Texas desert where the water was extremely hard and left mineral deposits on everything it touched, a quick scrub with Barkeepers had the sink back to looking new.
    In case this is of interest to anyone, I had my sink out this past weekend to change out the faucet, and was surprised to see that the sink is manufactured in Italy!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
    My sink cleaned up pretty well....I was just concerned it might be an ongoing problem.  Again, I haven't had any problems since the original issue.  Maybe NuCamp should send me to Italy to investigate...I'd be happy to sacrifice my time for the good of the forum!
    Sorry @Basil48192.  I am first in line for the nuCamp sponsored trip to Italy😉
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2021
    One thing I learned when you're sanitizing your system with bleach; you need to really rinse the system and the sink of the residual chlorine, which is corrosive to stainless steel.  I had some rust on my aftermarket larger sink after sanitizing when I didn't rinse out the entire sink as well as I could have.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
    Good point, about rinsing out the sink carefully after running a bleach solution in it.  I used a plastic pail to catch to flush out solution, then ran plenty of fresh water through the pipes whilst connected to shore water.
    cheers
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    Denny16 said:
    You can get a great stainless steel cleaner, called Barkeepers Friend......
    While on the topic of brewing supplies and sanitizing, anyone know if Star San can be used to sanitize the fresh water tank between outings? I sent FiveStar an email to find out, but thought someone here may know. If not, I'll report back if I hear from them.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• MikeWright01MikeWright01 Member Posts: 10
    I found my stainless steel sink in my T@B 320S also has some small rust spots. so its not a one of.
    2022 nuCamp T@B 400 Boondock
    2021 Subaru Ascent
  • Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    edited November 2021
    Our dealer warned us that the sink could rust if water was allowed to sit in it. Since you should also make sure the fridge is dry when not being used, I just wipe out the sink at the same time.
    You can try removing the stains with a scotchbrite pad

2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Just a heads up or as an FYI on the Scotch style pads, the green colored pads are an abrasive pad and will scratch surfaces.  The blue pads are non-abrasive and you can use them on most surfaces.  I buy the blue pads and use them on our glass top stove (along with the white glass cream style cleaner) to remove baked on spots and splatters.  I follow up with some Windex and it looks brand new.  

Clean cooktop, happy wife!  😀👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited November 2021
    AnOldUR said:
    While on the topic of brewing supplies and sanitizing, anyone know if Star San can be used to sanitize the fresh water tank between outings? I sent FiveStar an email to find out, but thought someone here may know. If not, I'll report back if I hear from them.
    @AnOldUR, did you ever hear back from FiveStar? I recall this question coming up previously--it may have even been me that raised it.

I would think StarSan would be a perfectly good sanitizer--and no rinse at that. The problem may be that you would have to use A LOT to completely fill the system in order to cover every surface. Unlike your fermentors, you can't just spray or swish a little around and call it good.  
    2015 T@B S
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    ScottG said:
    ... did you ever hear back from FiveStar? ...
    No, never heard back. Maybe got lost. I'll give it another try.
    A sanitizing plan may be to add a few gallons of properly diluted Star San to an empty fresh water tank and run water through all the plumbing before leaving for a campsite with water hookup. Then you could let the remaining water in the tank slosh around while driving, drain and refill when you get to your destination.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• MobeanMobean Member Posts: 50
    I am not understanding the comments above.  We have a 1 year old 2021 TAB 320S with multiple small rust spots on the kitchen sink outer rim seen for the first time this past month.  It's a sink...supposed to be exposed to water and cleaners. I do not have rust or pitting issues on any of my house stainless steel sinks.  I don't think it is reasonable to see rust within a years time.  Has anyone reached out to dealer/NuCamp?  

2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
    Have you used steel wool are any similar pot scrubber around your sink?  The rust spots look like a reaction with some sort of particle or contaminate.  I keep our TaB sink wiped out with a damp towel, and have not had any issues here on the coast, where anything metal will rust.
     Cheers