Options

Alde Thoughts

Perhaps the most discussed subject on the forum is about Alde - how to operate, trouble shoot, fluid change, etc, etc.
Consider, that this hydronic system was born in Europe where hydronic heating is the norm in residential applications. In North America however, our norm (now) is forced air systems. Why because they are less expensive to install and maintain. As well they can include air filtration and humidity control.

I wonder from a builder perspective, if it is time to abandon this complex system in favour of a simpler system. Consider the Cool Cat ac unit installation includes a duct system. Truma has a forced air system (120V/Propane) that is ducted and includes a demand hot water option. So perhaps a redesign of the NuCamp heating/cooling/domestic hot water installation should be considered. The Alde system with its miriad of operator and maintenance issues by comparison seems un sustainable. Thanks for reading.
400 - 2019
St Catharines, ON

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited January 2023
    Whilst forced air heating was the norm in North America, quite a few homes built in this century switched to under floor hydronic heating.  Another contender is Heat Pump heating, using convectors instead of forced air.  Hydronic heating uses less energy once the room/house has reached the desired temp., and is able to maintain That temp without drafts, or hot/cold spots which is typical,of forced air heating/cooling.  Some systems use air circulation fans, but they do not create a stream of air movement which is typical of forced air.

When we purchased our TaB, the biggest selling point is the Alde heating system.  Running small fluid transfer tubes in walls or under floors is much less expensive than running a maze of large duct systems, required of a distributed forced air system.  I would not buy a house with forced air heating/cooling either.

My first RV, a Mobil Vacation home (think a small 30-ft Park Model type trailer), had a forced air wall type heater in it.  When the temperature was set to be comfortable whilst standing, it was cold when you sat or laid down.  The heat was concentrated by the heater and colder when you moved to away from the front area where the heater was located.  I ripped this unit out, and replaced it with a sealed convection heater, which distributed the heat  ore evenly from floor to roof. 

The Alde does the same, proving a nice even heat in the TaB 400, without cold/hot spots.  Yes, it take a bit longer to get heated up (this process can be k creased using propane mode or propane/elect combined), but the heat is even, and no dust blown around or circulated around as a ducted system does.  
    Each has is maintenance routine, and most forced air ducted systems have their maintenance routine, and require annual filter replacements.  The Alde maintenance is not that difficult.  Ideally, once should vacuum dust the area around the convectors and the convectors as part of the bi-annual fluid change.  Our system was installed in Jan 2018, and has been trouble free, changing the glycol transfer fluid as required, and last time round, the TaB voids and convectors were vacuumed out to remove dust and debris that had collected during the previous 2.5 years.
     Cheers 

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    @RCB

For those that camp exclusively with electric hook ups, I agree that there are better options that are not as complex. For those of us that camp in cold weather without hook ups the Alde is hard to beat due to it's low electric needs.  Plus in a small enclosed space it's much quieter than any forced air system. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I’ve been in a van with the Truma Combi and it was actually very comfortable and quiet.

I love the Alde but it does seem to be troublesome for many people. We’ve been lucky so far with no issues but seeing so many others having problems I do wonder if our time will run out. Or are we just seeing the negatives because that’s when people reach out for help online?

2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    In my320 at least I can get to the complete system, if I have to replace any one of the radiators but in a 400 repairing those regularors could be a real challange! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    I'm torn on the subject.  While I love our Alde for the efficiency, even heat and almost silent heat I dislike  it for the glycol changes that need to be done every two years.  I refused to pay the exorbitant rates dealers are charging for this service so I learned to do it myself.  But I still don't like having to do it and feel it's too large and too frequent of a maintenance requirement for a heating system that costs roughly $3000.  There are also times I dislike it for the long time it takes to heat the cabin.  Radiant heat is one of my favorite types of heat but living in an area where it gets cold often there are times it would be nice to heat the trailer up quicker.  But that is just being picky.  

I also own a Truma vario heater and love it.  It is basically the forced air furnace without the water heater side to it. The Vario does not require any complicated, expensive and potentially messy maintenance like the Alde.  And for a forced air heater it is quiet.  Ours is completely exposed in our truck topper camper and while on high it certainly is loud, way louder than the Alde but quieter than a suburban heater.  But when switched to night mode it is remarkedly quiet for what it is and not hard to sleep through.  If it was mounted in a cabinet in a trailer I can imagine it being much quieter.  

Would I trade our Alde for a Truma?  At this point I probably would say no.  But next year when I have to change out the glycol again I might change my mind.   And if NuCamp switched to the Truma Combi it would not break my heart.   Who knows if our Alde ever breaks I may install a Combi comfort plus over another Alde.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    I hate unreliability when we are traveling 1000 miles from home.  A long history of absolutely dependable forced air camper heaters has spoiled us.

If our Alde system stops heating when we are on the road, can we get help from Alde, Nucamp, or dealerships?  Maybe, but don't depend on it.

Their ignorance of the corrosion issue is absurd.  If the damn aluminum convectors corrode no matter what, give us convectors made of a different material, for example.  
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 269
    Change the glycol every other year and enjoy the quiet efficient warmth of the Alde. Trailers are costly (purchase price, fuel demand, storage, insurance) and high maintenance (axles, brakes, tires, winterizing, cleaning, ongoing repairs and mods). Semi-annual glycol change is another maintenance item in a long list. It’s difficult to be comfortable in a trailer in cold weather and the Alde system meets that challenge well.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 354
    I've been down the "slide in camper" and "class C" route with forced air furnaces.

Alde radiant heat is very comfortable. In Europe where the Alde system is common, the costs of maintenance is low. We just live in a place where only NuCamp and the high end Airstream trailers use this system.

Routine fluid changes plus a little vacuuming, and you have a great system.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited January 2023
    I would not want to give up our Alde for its silent operation that keeps us nice & toasty without any draft inside on cold nights.

I do believe that Nucamp could make glycol changes much easier for DIY folks (or those who live a long distance from any dealer service facility) by equipping T@Bs with a 3-way valve to allow pushing out old glycol with distilled water rinse & refilling using an inexpensive electric pump.  I have this mod installed in the hose between the glycol pump & floor drain, so it can push fluids through the Alde, hoses, convectors, expansion tank & out the floor drain..

Then, by switching the valve position & closing floor drain, it can backfill the hose between valve & tank to fill tank to desired level.  Works great.  Maybe it could also make glycol changes more available at dealers without the complicated & expensive special glycol pump.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    Very interesting mod @BrianZ. Thank you for sharing.
    Would you mind sharing the list of parts you used to make this mod? I think I could figure it out if I was in front of my camper but it's stored away until April.

When using this, all you do is operated the Alde pump in continuous mode (without heat being applied) ?
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @Maple_Geek , click on the highlighted text in my post to see all mod details, including the references to parts sources at the end.  It does not use the Alde built-in pump, but a separate immersion pump to inject the glycol or rinse water into the system, as shown in the photo above.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    @BrianZ thank you. I missed the link in your message. Thanks again!
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    pakpak Member Posts: 114
    I think the Alde is the crown jewel of my 320. The more I learn about the ins and outs of the system the more comfortable I am with the Alde. This forum has been so valuable as a learning tool. There are many clever and industrious people on here willing to help. This made my learning curve less precarious. I like the Alde because it is quiet and heats the t@b very well.
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    Agreed @BrianZ, like you some of the mods I've made around the Alde are designed to make fluid changes simpler and more DIY friendly.  If nuCamp is not planning to ditch the Alde system then they should consider building in some of the mods that have been done to make it easier to properly maintain the system.  It wouldn't take much additional expense on their part.  Those changes would help both the professional maintenance folks and the DIY'ers.  Anything they do to simplify the process is a feather in their cap.  You don't really need an expensive proprietary pump process to do Alde maintenance, gravity and/or a very cheap hand pump do just fine.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4