Options

Have you ever had a blown tire on your T@b?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
edited May 2016 in Trailer & Towing
This is a question, inspired by the discussion about needing a flatbed to tow the T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Have you ever had a blown tire on your T@b? 88 votes

No. I have the original tires and so far, so good.
69%
Michigan_MikeDurangoTaBBryanRRollingLagrimawizard1880gilbutlerNomadWee3JandJ92010JustJohnRatkityLibrarydragonJodellRbooNorbert1223Mr.Uncle.BillwebcrawlerTomStephens1Terripericnliz 61 votes
No, but I have replaced the original tires. (Please indicate which tires you use in the comments below.)
25%
CyclonicRZRBUGjkjennatlasbNormfunGeojcfaber1MouseketabAlliejhduffLNOGUNNERJohnDanielsCPASkip_N_TrixRFraerDenisPJamesCjimcennameYanniLazarusrcarlson1957Freespirit 22 votes
Yes, it happened with the original tires on the T@b.
5%
CCPICCBrianZBurgersonAnOldURBlack93fiveO 5 votes
Yes, it happened with replacement tires (Please indicate which tires you had in the comments below.)
0%

Comments

• Options
    No, but I have replaced the original tires. (Please indicate which tires you use in the comments below.)
    I have replaced the original tires (they were fairly worn after 6,000 miles) with the same tires used on the Outback - General Tires AT2.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Posting this poll is a great idea.  I'm sure there are several issues about which polls could give perspective and guidance to those in need.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have now replaced my tires twice since owning. I use the appropriate size tires. Kelly brand.
    I have seen pictures of blown T@B tires and the destruction to the inside was extensive.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Here is a pretty good informational video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Gmr6Uhep8

Also a helpful article: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-trailer-tire-frequently-asked-questions.aspx

• Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    My T@B is currently in the shop having a new axle installed along with new tires.  I only have about 3000 miles total on it since buying it new last year.  My last trip out I noticed the inside of the tires were almost bald.  Made it home, took it to the RV Repair shop and the axle was bent.  Evidently, the original axle is an AL-KO and not very good quality.  LG is replacing it with a Dexter.  Kudos to LG for stepping up to fix a serious problem.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    There are other options.  I had a flat, but not a blown tire.  Definitely not original (sine I have a DM).
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    mash2 said:
    There are other options.  I had a flat, but not a blown tire.  Definitely not original (sine I have a DM).
    True, but not so likely to cause damage with a flat versus a blown tire. Delamination has been known to rip out the wheel well and wiring (if on the driver side.)

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited May 2016
    Scaring people again? The "could" happens are endless :-)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    but it's good to keep "could happens" in mind if you're considering delaying proper maintenance, eh?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    True - But what are the chances of an exploding tire vs a flat - Considering you actually have some tread left - Any idea?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    True - But what are the chances of an exploding tire vs a flat - Considering you actually have some tread left - Any idea?
    That's why I asked the question. Seems like it was more common with DM T@bs but wanted to gauge the experience of others. You see more mention of this happening on the FB groups.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Well, my experience in 45 years of driving, maybe 2 to 4 basic flats (while moving), and two blowouts.  Although that could easily be attributed to the fact that blowouts are more memorable...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    In 57, can't recall ever having a "blowout".
    Presuming that it means the tire blew apart.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    For trailers, a blowout is usually a result of delamination, which is a bigger issue for trailers due to the additional stress on the sidewalls. It is more common in trailers than passenger vehicles.

• Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    I know it has been mentioned before but tell me again what is so special about a trailer tire that last 6,000 miles. I bet I could get 60,000 miles on Michelin LTX's. Unfortunately the Generals are the only "off road" or "light truck" tire available in size 14.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    edited May 2016
    Replaced originals with Maxxis M8008 radials at 9,000 miles.  Have put 12,000 miles on them and they look brand new.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Ramrod said:
    I know it has been mentioned before but tell me again what is so special about a trailer tire that last 6,000 miles. I bet I could get 60,000 miles on Michelin LTX's. Unfortunately the Generals are the only "off road" or "light truck" tire available in size 14.
    Read the strainer article I linked to, above.

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I would have to go back through my travels to see how many miles I got on mine, but I have replaced mine every 4 years. The size of the Dutchmen rims allows me to have low profile car tires, and I get the highest speed rating I can get. I still only poke along at 60 MPH on the interstate.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ok,
    I gotta chime in here since you guys picked a subject I am very familiar with after working in the tire industry for 30+ years. Delamination comes from two things, bad materials, or over exposed to weather, ie: very hot, or cold conditions over along period of time, or uncovered exposure to sunlight{ causes drying out of the petroleum for the building of rubber products such as tires! Overloading the tires[and under-inflation] causes heat build-up, very bad for tires in any condition, new or old. ALWAYS check your tie pressure before leaving! 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Ok,
    I gotta chime in here since you guys picked a subject I am very familiar with after working in the tire industry for 30+ years. Delamination comes from two things, bad materials, or over exposed to weather, ie: very hot, or cold conditions over along period of time, or uncovered exposure to sunlight{ causes drying out of the petroleum for the building of rubber products such as tires! Overloading the tires[and under-inflation] causes heat build-up, very bad for tires in any condition, new or old. ALWAYS check your tie pressure before leaving! 
    Yes. ST tires are meant to be filled to the max, but if you drive long distances or in hot weather, that can lead to over-inflation.

• Options
    ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check and fill tires with air when COLD. Never exceed maximum air pressure recommended on the side wall of the tire. Tires increase in air pressure after driving long distances, this is absolutely normal. Another helpful tip, when in very cold weather, the pressure will drop anywhere from 2 to 7 pounds depending on the outside temperature.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    You guys/gals are a jinx - Just had a flat. :-(
    Luckily it went flat in a town rather than when I was crossing that 10,000 ft pass enroute without cell coverage in rain/sleet. :-)
  • Options
    Bummer.

• Options
    Was able to inflate it with my little compressor - A tire shop was a mile away - $11 and I was on my way.
  • Options
    Good on you! Have a safe trip!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    catndahatscatndahats Member Posts: 50
    so, after much digging online and reading our "owners manual" what is the best air pressure for a 2014 T@B with the ST tires? Without calling Pleasant Valley, does anyone know for sure? 

The owners Manual says "35psi" and the tire sidewall says "50psi max" and other folks says 40-45 psi....we have been traveling at 38-42psi not realizing we were either over or underinflated for almost 5,000 miles.
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
    2014 T@B Q Max, 2012 Toyota Tundra 4.6
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Would like to know too - ours came from the dealer at 45 psi and we've kept it there.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I go by what my tire says. They are not the tires that came with the T@B and since the manufacturer knows their tire, I will go by their recommendation. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I went with the lower 35 to 42psi and ended up with a bad wear pattern, showing they were underinflated.

From what I've garnered from various online sources, including tire manufacturers, ST trailer tires can be kept inflated to their max rating. It keeps the sidewalls from flexing so much, reducing the chance of overheating, and internal damage/failure.

I've attached a publication put out by the Rubber Manufacturers Association that talks about tire care and safety. Chapter 4 pg 49 talks about RV and Trailer tires specifically.

Also, I've read that the specific tire manufacturer will advise about tire pressure for the particular tire and load. I haven't looked into this yet though.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    so, after much digging online and reading our "owners manual" what is the best air pressure for a 2014 T@B with the ST tires? Without calling Pleasant Valley, does anyone know for sure? 

The owners Manual says "35psi" and the tire sidewall says "50psi max" and other folks says 40-45 psi....we have been traveling at 38-42psi not realizing we were either over or underinflated for almost 5,000 miles.
    This is a good question. While most tires have a maximum pressure given on the sidewall, vehicle (and trailer) manufacturers provide a recommended pressure on a sticker attached to the body. With automobiles, the recommended pressure is usually less than the maximum pressure. On LG T@Bs (mine at least) they are the same (50psi). However, confounding this issue is that the LG owner's manual (which is outdated and covers numerous models) suggests reducing the pressure to as low as 35psi.

Furthermore, it appears from a recent thread that older Dutchman T@Bs use a lower profile car tire with different specs.

Regardless, I remain skeptical (though not certain...) that a little underinflation would be the root cause of a catastrophic blowout of a modern tire.
    2015 T@B S