Options

Idle-off-topic-chit chat - Part 2

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,499
    @2Cougs I'd like to see this hat, although I'd best not be drinking tea at the time! :rofl:
    @ericnliz you can ignore it all you want...but it's not going away anytime soon I suspect.  =)
    I see some shoveling in my near future...good thing I love to shovel snow!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @ericnliz...Heh! Heh! Heh! Yup, this time of year they bring SNOW! :rofl:
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Oh, and IF 'ya like shovelin' snow that much.......I'll save some for 'ya!!!! =)
    Winter schedule:
    November: remove snow from T@B, driveway, patio & sidewalks  :s
    December: repeat of November  :s
    January: repeat of November & December  :s
    February: repeat of last 3 months  :s
    March: GO AWAY SNOW & ICE!!!!!!  :s:o
    April: get ready for campin'!!!!  :)=);)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Continued on Idle chit-chat page afore @ScottG blows us up, & @Verna stings us with the wand!!! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @Homebodyatheart, Feel sorry for my neighbor across the alley ( He just bought the house).....he asked me how to blow out the sprinklers yesterday! :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,693
    As a person who avoids snow, i had never heard of "waxing a snow shovel" until reading about it this morning.  Who knew?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745, Keeps the snow from stickin' to the shovel & it slides right off!!!! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PAM cooking spray works well, as does silicone spray for garage door rails, for those shovels, too. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @ericnliz I suspect your neighbor will have some rude surprises come the spring thaw! Maybe this week it's not too late, maybe?

@Verna Good to know! I use silicone spray on the garage door rails twice a year, but never thought about it on the snow shovels. Thanks!
  • Options
    @Verna, I'd use the cookin' spray, but I'd wanna' go "flip" the snow in the yard. ;) Wax lasts all season, and doesn't take that long to do with a heat gun.
    @Homebodyatheart, I went & helped my neighbor get his sprinklers blown out yesterday. Thank goodness I only had to use the small compressor. I'm thinkin' haulin' the bigger one over in the snow wouldn't have been much fun at all!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Hey @ericnliz! Me thinks there's a wand or three with time for housecleaning! Thank you magic wand people!  =)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The housecleaning here has been taking away from my real housecleaning. I need to get back to the real house!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
     =) 
  • Options
    Thanks Magic Wand Lady! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @Haloo & @db_cooper, Ya'll are funny! :rofl: I START with 2 tons of pellets, depending on how cold the winter gets. Last year I ran out....didn't like my electric, OR gas bill at all! :o:s
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    @ericnliz  Two tons of pellets? :o  We’re coming to your place if we run out of firewood.    =)

@db_cooper, Did some more firewising around our place and had a couple of big firs I had bucked up last year.  Got a couple of young guys to help me split it all when I was pressed for time due to extended family health issues. So I’m not quite the firewood-stacking animal my previous post might have made me appear.

Here’s to a cold snowy winter!
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited November 2017
    "Here’s to a cold snowy winter!".

I'll drink to that! 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ok now, are you talking face cords or real cords of wood?

In Montana we'd cut 10 to 15 full cord of softwood for a winter, mostly lodgepole, some spruce.

When we moved back to WNY, they'd deal in face cords (imagine that) which is about 1/3rd the wood and 1/3rd the work (hardwood, of course, so the heat output is about the same)! 

Now we have gas, and radiant floor heat. Much better. Love it! (Miss the wood stove)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    @ChanW, talking full cords of mostly fir.  Fir is a great wood for a wood stove.  It is dense and heavy, and burns for a long time with little smoke or soot.  While firewising our property I had to cut down 5 big firs, drag them up a slope with my TV, buck them up and wait a year to split them.  An ax will just bounce off fresh bucked fir.

Even though our woodstove is certified, I’m looking into one of the new really efficient models that produces very little particulate.  A wood stove is almost a necessity with the cabin we have due to the size and shape of our place.

Oh, and I lived in Knowlesville, Spencerport, and Geneva when I was a kid.  Ice skated on the Erie Canal.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,517
    @Haloo What you are telling us is that you like cold and snow :)
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @SAM, Nope, that's just welcome to the great North West! If 'ya don't like cold, you'd PROBABLY want to avoid coming to the mountainous areas of Washington, Idaho, Oregon & Montana from about  late October until about early March! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Oh yes, and it's a WET cold.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,517
    Yes, and Haloo also spent time in cold New York areas, which is what I was referring to...

My husband was raised in Potsdam, New York near the Canadian border.  He describes crazy cold winters and loved it!  Still does.  Many memories of camping in the snow, frozen tires, siding freezing and cracking.  Now he makes due with the occasional snowfall here in the Cleveland area and the regular trips to Lake Tahoe to ski.

We will get out to the NW, but not between October and March!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I love cross country skiing.  NY was okay as a kid, though lots of gray winter skies.  The east slope of the Cascades and Eastern Washington get a lot more sun in the winter.  And the cross country skiing is phenomenal.  It’s how I “winterize” myself!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,466
    Did I see a photo posted recently of October SNOW in the PNW?

Is that a regular occurrence this time of year? Even here in the notoriously maligned northern New England we sometimes don't see the stuff until after Christmas! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2017
    @Haloo, we always favored lodgepole pine for its ease of splitting, and less bark detritus. If I remember right, the doug-fir has bark an inch and a half thick? One year, we pulled some standing dead doug-fir out of an old burn and boy was that dirty!

A windstorm here this spring brought down half of one of our maples. I cut it into stove lengths and let it lie all summer to dry a bit. It split pretty easily, considering it was 2½ft diameter, and we were able to get about three cord out of it (face cords, of course). Also got a new maul handle out of the deal!

Yep, I actually miss the '30 to 50 below' temps of Montana winters. The dry Montana air made the winters 'warmer' than we have here in the Buffalo area. Here, 25°F above zero is bitter, with the humidity. You don't miss the finger lakes?

And I do miss my wood heat in the house (my DW sez it's too dirty...), so I can only have it out in the workshop....
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    @ScottG yes, yes you did! We've still got 1-3" at our house but thankfully most of the roads are bare and wet. The annual icicle factory, our house and garage, are back in full swing, too! We've had snow for Halloween a few times, too, but not lately. In theory, it is supposed to warm up a bit this week and rain is coming in so hopefully it will be warm enough to not have icy roads! Last year was wickedly awful for ice around here! I love the snow, hate the ice!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,466
    That's crazy. Aren't your winters in general relatively mild (hence all the ice as opposed to snow)?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited November 2017
    Well, I always find this time of year pretty depressing, when our clocks "fall back" an hour, and it is dark by the time I get home from work.  The temperatures drop, and we pull out our gloves and heavy coats.  With no camping dates on my calendar, I was feeling blue, with no trips to look forward to. 

Wifey helped with that, and booked us a night away in late November.  It might rain, it might snow, but it should be cozy inside the T@b in any case.  It will likely be our first trip with sub-zero temperatures. 

I like having a trip to look forward to.  :)
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    @ScottG, no. We get a full four seasons, more if you count the pine pollen season (everything outside turns yellow), wildfire season (you can't breathe outside, or see too far down the road for that matter), pine fly season (don't open your mouth outside, ever!), field dirt in the air so your teeth feel gritty season (it's when the plowed fields from the middle of the state try to migrate to the east side via the air, usually August or so. Not to be confused with wildfire smoke). 

The fall colors are usually amazing! I love snow. It's amazing to walk in the absolute quiet in fresh snow! December 2008 we had 3'+ of snow in a day. That was exciting... Ice on roads and walkways is horrid, except icicles are cool! After the snow melts pretty much everything is flat and grey until spring starts in, then there are more glorious colors around! We get the most beautiful cloud formations, too, all year round. 

I believe there are 100 or more lakes within 100 miles, or something like that. It's not too far from anywhere you might want to be in the area. Lots of great camping close by.

Um, @ericnliz, @Dalehelman , @2Cougs and others, did I miss much?