Options

Idle-off-topic-chit chat - Part 2

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Congrats, both members of @SAM!  Retirement is a fun gig!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Twojgrams, They start infiltrating the INSIDE of the house, and ......oh, boy, don't EVEN get me started on THAT one!!! (Could have sworn I saw one of the little buggers with a helmet and ammo belt low crawling across the lawn :o ...still hoping that was a bad dream!!) Seems like ever since I chased 'em out of the cherry trees this spring ( AND I leave 'em 2 trees they can feast on!), they have been recruiting other local wildlife to infiltrate my humble domain. First, it was the raccoons (These buggers broke my bird bath in the front lawn by jumping up & using it as a wash basin!), then they brought in the skunks (two rather smelly altercations with the local kitty cat population), followed by a single (so far) porcupine. I'd ask "What next?", but probably REALLY don't wanna know! :|
    @Ratkity, Rats with fuzzy tails is what they are!! You're right, a dog is probably in order. Our dog did a great job of keepin' 'em out of the yard. Liz has been bugging me to get another one for months now. (We lost our last one a week before Christmas, and I took it pretty hard since she was my constant companion when Liz was at work.) I'm about ready to just post a sign that says "Wild Life Refuge, all Critters Welcome", and just get it over with! :angry:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Better yet, move the WolfT@B out front with a "Hunting Lodge" sign on it!!! =)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @ericnliz I see a revenue stream-sort of a combo of Airbnb  and wildlife safari in your yard!
    @SAM Congratulations! 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Ratkity said:
    I have a confession.... as a naive undergrad in the mid-80's, I put on a class II hitch that fit my V6 '74 Mustang II and pulled a totally packed to-the-gills dual axle 12' UHaul trailer from the mountains in Boone, NC to central FL. That mustang rarely drove with all 6 cylinders running lol. It always started though. Tough little thing with "character".

I guess sometimes fools, drunks and naive students are protected by angels... and sometimes the entire choir!

I have no idea how I did it. No sway, no overheating, no AC working, sunroof open, no rain, straight through no-stopping drive. *blinkblink* What was I thinking?? I'm not sure how I survived childhood, no less survived all the stupid things I did after, yet here I am!! Yer stuck wif me! :lol:
    Yes...and we all survived our bikes with no helmets also, but would u ride without one now?
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @ericnliz, I lost my beloved dog on Valentine's Day. Less than 2 days after I returned from little sis' house and her getting a double-lung transplant. Hit me hard too. The good news is little sis celebrated 6 months with new lungs and is doing super well! Others have quietly suggested another pup for me, but know how hard it is for me. I know exactly what you mean when you say the same thing. :dog: One day....
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    So @ericnliz, I think @Twojgrams hit the nail on the head. How much you gonna charge for your wild safari tours? You should rent pea shooters to people and give em discounts if they hit a wild critter.

P.S. I should be mindful of other people who don't know that I really wouldn't do such things... I believe some of the more domicile destructive wild beasts should be moved to safe places away from human interactions, but not destroyed.  
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I'm thinkin' wrist rockets!!! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @Ratkity, Since I (we) hijacked my OWN post, thought I'd move it over here instead. I'm seriously thinkin' about the new puppy thing....still kinda hard though. :|  
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    @4ncar NOPE.. a big NOPE too.

Especially when the first bicycle club in Clemson, SC in the early 90s made a point to help kids understand bicycle safety and proper helmet use. It was hard convincing kids. So I had to be an example (as much as I hated wearing one in the SC summers).

I properly wore a solid plastic covered Bell bicycle helmet and did an "endo" over the bars (front flat tire, turned left at 25+ mph - bike stopped; I didn't). I hit my head (forehead first) and slid. I remember watching the pavement slide by. Rule of thumb is 25 mph + head smack on asphalt/concrete and you're dead. Instead, I dislocated both shoulders and lived to tell about it. The bike helmet did exactly what it was supposed to do. I kept it for a long time as a reminder, but got a new one to replace it btw.

• Options
    @ericnliz, all I can say is "Ditto"
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @ericnliz, so Liz is finally wearing you down? You know she will win this one, right? :rofl::dog:
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @SAM congratulations to you both! Yes, I'm almost counting the months/years. Sigh...

@ericnliz we've got the same menagerie down here, but we also get the occasional moose wandering the neighborhood, especially when it is so dry and they need more food sources this time of year!

@Ratkity I'm sosy about the loss of your pup. That's never easy. Congrats to your sister, though!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2017
    @Ratkity, similar story, newly built 'custom' bicycle, helmet  was 1 week old, then hit from behind by a guy 'peeling out', they estimated he was going 60 mph.

I flew 60 ft through the air, landing on my jaw. Jaw was in 11 pieces, helmet was cracked but saved my head! Cracked pelvis, etc. But thankful thankful thankful.

Helmet company replaced the hat for free, but wanted a photo for proof. I sent them a photo of the bloody helmet  B) Still have it somewhere.

It drives me nuts to see parents riding along with their little kids, kids dutifully wearing a helmet, but parents bareheaded. Uh... dumb parents? "Hey! What's little Susie going to do with a vegetable for a poppa?"

Sorry, I get worked up sometimes...

I was lucky.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    @ChanW, I hear ya.

20+years ago, our little club rides mandated you wear a helmet (we'd go around and adjust them properly for folks) and club rides were awesome!! We could put on a great shindig ending or a SAG stop bonanza, or just a great flat ride in very, very low traffic conditions for all levels of riders. No rider left behind. The idea was fun, safety and friends. Lots of great memories.

First thing club members would ask if we heard someone got into an accident. Helmet on? Sigh of relief when the answer was yes. Lots of road rash incidents, but no noggin knocks. Firm believer here too!
  • Options
    Wow... a moose on Labor Day. Without a picture, I'd have pictured chocolate mousse with a chocolate cookie crust topped with homemade whipped cream and sprinkled with dark chocolate shavings.... yummmm. That would have been sat next to the homemade banana pudding on the table with some churned vanilla ice cream on the seat next to it.... dr00l.
  • Options
    OK @Ratkity, I'm coming to your house for treats! Actually this was taken a couple of years ago by DH. He was outside with the dog, looked over and saw momma and large calf chomping on our apples. He was never so glad to have a fence between him and wildlife, until a car drove by and the both easily jumped over the grape vine fence and ran down the alley. He got the dog inside before he saw them, and later that afternoon they were photographed further down the road and made the paper the next day. He was able to take two quick pics which is why this is a bit blurry. Life in town can be exciting! Part of the city motto is "Near Nature" and they mean it!
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Thanks everybody.  Sorry Eric, we feed the squirrels here, but how about chipmunk hunting?  They have been chewing some perennial flower roots this summer and taking out my cone flowers.  Little buggers!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @SAM, Are you SURE it's the chipmunks chewing on the roots?? The squirrels are the ones that chew up Liz's bulbs here. Not only that, but they're aerating my front yard (diggin' holes) with all the nuts the neighbors feed them! The deer are what chew up the flowers here. Liz USED to have some really pretty primroses growing under our fir tree in the front yard until the deer discovered them. I live closer to the Spokane River than does @Homebodyatheart , and with the extremely hot, dry summer we've had, all the critters are coming up here to munch on our amply watered vegetation. I've seen herds of deer ( up to 10 at a time ) walking down the middle of our street, and lying in both mine & my neighbor's yards. Maybe we should just camp in our driveway. We already HAVE the wildlife up close & personal! :)  Haven't seen a moose (yet), but my mom lives about 5 minutes from where we do, and she's had moose & elk both in her front yard lots of times. "Near Nature", ha, ha, I'm right in the middle of it!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @ericnliz. I am sure it's the chippies.  They have burrows throughout my flower beds and there were twin babies this spring who grew up to enjoy noshing on the cone flowers.  We are lucky in that our deer do not like anything in our yard except for the bird feeders.  All summer we only filled our thistle feeders, so the deer have been few and far between.  But those chipmunks...
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    A bump for those who can't seem to find the Part 2 ;). The original Idle Chit Chat had 21 pages, so we decided it was time to start all over. Sorry if you guys are confused!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    :confused:
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Just confused with a "stuck" Rolodex!!!! =)
    Thanks for the "BUMP" @Verna!!!! :joy:
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
  • Options
    Hey @Ratkity...how's the toe healing comin' along? Haven't heard anything lately, and was just wondering. Figure you're either healing up, or chasin' Harvey!!! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Tanx for asking @ericnliz!!!

Harvey, Harley bears have been very supportive with my broken toes, but have stayed clear of them. BossBoss kitty has avoided the toe with the exposed pin and hates "the boot" that I have to wear. The piggies are healing well :pig: . I still can't ride the Harley *sniff*.

The temporary pin (exposed one) will be pulled on the 28th (sounds disgusting, but not really). The big piggie has a permanent pin and healing is 6-8 weeks (same for all bone breaks). I think there will be one more week of boot wearing after the 28th, then I can put da whole foot in a regular shoe (maybe). 

Both piggies are sensitive to sock wearing. I guess there's a nerve that's healing too. 

Despite "the boot", I'm hitching up and going camping this weekend!! A friend is packing his "scooter" that I can use to go from site to site. Our group has the entire loop!! It's going to be a grand time :)
  • Options
    Just be careful out there!!! Better pack some extra Doritos for Harvey, or he'll be rippin' all over the toy hauler lookin' for a "stash"!!! ;) Have fun & be safe. :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @Ratkity, Get Harvey a rain outfit, a chair, and a good supply of Doritos, he can hold it up for 'ya.  =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    :rofl:@ericnliz. Harvey may be crazy (about Doritos, and now CHEESE POOFS!), but he's not a stupid bear. I'd probably end up waking up with the bucket on my head and a smirking Harvey in the corner on his pillow.