Alde glycol expansion tank locations for the TaB 320, Clamshell, and 400 models

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
(A certain member suggested that we needed an easy to find thread that listed the locations of the expansion tank, so, TADA!)

The TaB Alde heating system debuted starting with the 2014 model year.  The glycol expansion tank locations vary by model.

Clamshell Models

The CS (no wet bath) model’s tank is located in a cabinet next to the floor A/C unit near the front of the trailer.  

The CSS model tank is easily located behind the hatch over the toilet.

320 Models

The early non-clamshell model tanks (2014 to early 2015 model years) are located under the driver’s side rear shelf.  Remove the square head screws to lift the shelf and expose the tank.

With the redesign of the rear shelf, beginning with the 2016 model year, the tank in the non-clamshell models is located at the end of the driver’s side rear shelf, behind the triangle-shaped, wood panel.  Again, remove the square headed screws and slide the panel towards the front of the trailer to uncover the tank.

New to the 2021 320 S and Clamshell models - the tank is behind a panel under the wet-bath sink. White caps cover the screws holding the panel in place.

The 400 Models

The 400 model tank is in the closet on 400s with the 2-way refrigerator.  On 400s with the 3-way refrigerator, it is inside the cubby area to the right of the driver’s side porthole window.  

2-way frig model (2018 - 2020 models)

3-way frig model for 2018 - 2020 models and ALL 2021 400 models

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Thank you for posting this organized summary, @Sharon_is_SAM.  Good to have it all in one location for reference, regardless of the model T@B you own.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I hope it will be a good reference for the inevitable question “Where’s my expansion tank😀”
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    A note about the tab 400 2019 boondock. Two of the screws are located next to the window frame. To remove these you need a right angle ratchet screwdriver no more than 3/4" high including bit and the correct square drive bit. I slotted the panel at those holes when returning the cover so the screws opposite the window frame don't need to be removed again and stay in place.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Tundra57, the glycol reservoir location in the window is only for those 400’s with the larger fridge and no closet. 

The 2019 Boondock Lite with closet will have the glycol reservoir in the closet. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    edited December 2019
    @Verna. Did not know that, should have specified my exact model. Doesn't change how hard it is to get to. The Nucamp guys are very creative on where to put stuff. @Sharon_is_SAM nice thread. :-). Where the heck did you get all the pictures lol?
    @Tundra57 - the pictures are all from the forum.  I like that you can do a specific forum search and when the list of threads comes up, any pictures come up on the right side of the list.  You just need to be willing to scroll back a few years:)
  • marjamrmarjamr Member Posts: 26
    Just bought a 2021 T@B 320S. Cannot find the glycol expansion tank in any of the locations you referenced above. I have run out of places to look.
    edited June 2020
    OK, per nuCamp Customer Service, the 2021 320 and clamshell model Alde glycol expansion tank is located in the bathroom, on the wall under the sink, behind a white panel that is held on with screws hidden by white, plastic buttons.

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    OK, per nuCamp Customer Service, the 2021 320 and clamshell model Alde glycol expansion tank is located in the bathroom, on the wall under the sink, behind a white panel that is held on with 4 white, plastic buttons.
    Seems like they have finally gone with a consistent location for both models.

2015 T@B S
  • marjamrmarjamr Member Posts: 26
    I found it. I will try and post a picture tomorrow.
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @ScottG ...it definitely will make nuCamp's build easier to have the same locations.. it appears they are using the same front cabinetry for both models too..except 1 opening is used for a fridge..
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    ontheroad said:
    @ScottG ...it definitely will make nuCamp's build easier to have the same locations.. it appears they are using the same front cabinetry for both models too..except 1 opening is used for a fridge..
    Standardization will also simplify and make for less co fusion when helping new owners.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    On all the 2021 TaB400 models, the Glycol tank is in the front dinette location shown for the 3-way fridge option.  The glycol tank is no longer in the closet on this option model.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Thank you @Denny16.  I edited the 400 model titles to reflect this change.
    No worries, thanks.
    cheers
  • KJHKJH Member Posts: 1
    This is a beautiful page, I wish I had found it earlier. You should have seen the amount of time I searched for the one in my 2017 T@b! And it is hard to access. I am now in the PNW and it is very hard for me to find someone to do a flush and fill. It it beyond my skill set, and I do not have a flush pump. Still trying to figure it out. 
    2017 T@b Outback. Now towed by VW Touareg. Drove from FL to OR.
    edited January 2022
    Do a search on the forum.  There are owners who have completed the exchange without a hassle.  Good enough for the factory, good enough for me!
  • YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    Hello all.  So, I had to laugh -- thanks to this thread I now know where the tank is in my new 2020 T@B 320, but "remove the square head screws" isn't that easy -- not exactly standard!  So... have ordered appropriate driver (I hope... it is a #0, right?).  I am having a hard time imagining that others check the glycol level very often -- and sure do understand why the tank was moved in 2021!  By the way, absolutely loving my T@B... And I am being required to get a bit smarter every day!
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited July 2020
    @YanniLazarus, it is a #1 on my 2019 320S (I am not sure if nuCamp changed it on the 2020 model.)  It sounds like you already ordered a driver and/or bits, but I would recommend that you get something that has at least sizes 0, 1, 2 and 3.  I have used both the #1 and #2 on my trailer.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

We have gotten by with the #1 and #2 driver.
    there are a few finish screws that use a no.0 driver, but these are not normally removed.
    cheers
  • KARKAR Member Posts: 84
    Yes, this is super helpful. Our 2015 Little guy wasn't hard to find once we new to look in the farthest back corner on the drivers side under a board. Now, if they had only left a bit of a window to see the level it would really be easy but my husband was able to see it well enough! THANKS to all for your help. K
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
    @KAR, I always found a headlamp came in handy when checking the glycol. If you can’t tell by the marks on the outside of the reservoir, the headlamp shining inside the reservoir definitely made it easier to see. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    I have newly acquired a 2018 T@B 320S.  Found the expansion tank (thank you @Sharon_is_SAM) and added glycol as directed.  My problem is I am awful with screws, I don't know why, LOL.  I managed to get them out (yes, we have Robertson (square) bits), but had trouble lining up the existing holes when putting the cover back on the compartment. 

Has anyone found a way to modify that cover with some sort of clip or something, rather than the screws?  Seems if the cover needs to be removed frequently that there should be a more user friendly way to do it.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Thank you for this!  I was beginning to think they *missed* putting an expansion tank in our 2021 320S BD.  Before we open that panel to confirm it's there and it's full, do people use a flathead screwdriver to pop off those white screw caps? 

Editorializing:  IMO, they make this pretty hard to get at if we're supposed to check often. Also, our dealer should've done a better walk-thru, so we'd know about this and probably 20 other things. 
    @Ping, I use the blade of my pocket knife to pop off the caps (keep track of them!), or a smaller flat blade screwdriver would work just fine. 

I have plans of inserting a cargo door in the plastic so I can have extra dry bathroom storage and so I can easily see what the level of the glycol is. I’ll post photos when completed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    2023 400 Expansion tank location.  From a FB post today.
    "Should be inside the front porthole- dinette area on the drivers side."

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    @pthomas745 - is that the same as the 2021 and 2022 model?  I will update the above list if so.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    Now I see the picture up higher in the thread! I should never post before coffee!  I'll delete my comment and picture later!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • SLJSLJ Member Posts: 445
    edited August 2023
    After checking mine a couple times on my 2021 T@B 320 I decided there must be an easier way to give the tank level a quick check besides removing screws every time. Installing a 6" marine port in the panel did the trick.
    6" Marine Port: https://amzn.to/3OZl1cA

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York