Options

Mods/Upgrades while waiting out social distancing . Please share yours.

Comments

• Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    My mod.  Posted about the project here.

Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Alan, your TV monitor cabinet came out grand, nice job!
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    gandegande Member Posts: 90
    @AndreO…
    Great work on your modifications!  

I’ve been contemplating changing the cabinet to two drawers for quite a while, also.  Can you share any information about the part numbers and pricing on the drawer pull material and the catches behind the drawers (if you used them)?

The first modification to flip down the panel in front of the open storage is a great idea.  I've already ordered the slam latch.

In your item #9, "RV Level 4 Made by Joe", I cannot figure out where that picture was taken.  Is it in a 400 like the other modifications?

Thanks for any information you can provide--again, great mods!!

gande

gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8
  • Options
    AndreOAndreO Member Posts: 69
    @gande Thanks Gande.
    Posted a reply but not seeing it so I'll try it again.

Unfortunately I picked up the latches and handle while I was at the Nucamp plant for a tour so don't know the part numbers. I only needed one handle as I reused the existing door front. I also used soft-close sliders and they take a bit of effort to open so don't know if I need the latches on the back yet.

The real trick to getting the dropdown in is to find a hinge skinny enough. Got mine from Lee Valley Tools.
    Also putting the screws in under the shelf without damaging it is a really awkward, tight task. Putting a thin hard plastic between shelf and screwdriver shank helps a bit.

The attached is a diff view of the location of the MadebyJoe sensor.  It requires a USB power port so I put one in high on the panel side that way it is close to the door. I only plug it in when I arrive. Also top of the cabinet is a great out of the way place to charge my phone/tablet etc.  

Cheers.
    AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat
  • Options
    @AndreO… I finished building my drawers today and installed them using the soft close guides. 

I was wondering if you’ve had a chance to test out your theory about the soft close guides holding the drawers closed without the need for the latch in the back of the drawer box.

Thanks,

Gary
    @gande
    gande

2018 T@b 400
  • Options
    @gande Hi Gary, yes was out last week. You will need a latch of some sort. Once I added weight the drawers opened.

Andre

AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat
  • Options
    @AndreO...I thought that might be the case.  I was able to source latches that look identical to the ones NuCamp uses here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R6SB59Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My problem now is that I built the drawer boxes as large as I could and now have to find space behind them for the latches.  They're just a little too "thick" to fit on the side of the drawer (in the 1/2" space needed for the drawer guides).

Gary
    gande

2018 T@b 400
  • Options
    @gande... LOL same issue as Me! Well at least for the bottom drawer. I was able to cut the register cover in the back of the top drawer to allow me to attach the hitch to the bottom. No such luck for the bottom drawer though.  No matter,  the latches would interfere with the soft close functionality.

Currently looking for an inset latch possibly like the ones used on the round cabinet.  The issue is I would have to add them to the left side of the cabinet where there is a side pannel.  Looking at my options now. Thinking even a thumb latch could work as they just require a drill hole. Just not sure if it sticking out would be a safety issue. 

Really not finding just the right hardware.

I'll let you know what I have come up with... if you don't solve it first that is. 

Andre
    AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    Could you put 2 magnets in the back to hold it closed. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Added some new bling. 2007 T@B Clamshell

Took the old big T@B sticker off the clam hatch. She was peeling and had scratches.
    Spent about a week deoxidizing and polishing the hatch.
    Got the new style sticker from Elsie while at uCamp.
    Also added a full color Musket Mickey that I've had for a long time, but wasn't sure where to put it.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    @AndreO…I was able to mount  the catch for the middle drawer at the back of the original shelf which has been left in place. 

Today I’m going to see if I can mount the catch for the bottom drawer on the underside of that same shelf. 

Gary

gande

2018 T@b 400
  • Options
    @gulfarea…if my above posting doesn’t work, I’ll give your magnet idea a try. 

Gary
    gande

2018 T@b 400
  • Options
    @gande, Ah... I took out the shelf to gain the 1/2 height. But I am looking at putting in a "desk gang lock". As soon as I can source the materials. It would lock all three drawers at the same time. I'm avoiding catches or magnets as my wife complained they make the drawer harder to pull out. 

Andre
    AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat
  • Options
    @gande, It just occurred to me. If you left the shelf in and depending on how wide you made the back half of you bottom drawer, you might be able to put a vertical support in and attach the catch to the side of the drawer next to the wheel. 

Unfortunately I made mine too tight a fit for that.
    Andre
    AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat
  • Options
    @AndreO…I hope I resized these pictures correctly. 

I was able to mount the catch for the middle drawer on the top of the original shelf. 

I was able attach the catch for the bottom drawer on the underside of the shelf. 

We just pulled into our campsite after about a 3  hour drive and everything stayed closed and latched. 

Gary
    gande

2018 T@b 400
  • Options
    @gande Happy to see you got it figured out! I'll post mine when I get it in.  Enjoy your trip. 😁
    AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 181
    Love the mod with the ICECO 20. We have one we plug in the console in the TV and then we take it out and set it on the tub and run 12 plug in window and plug it in 12v below radio. So nice keeping things cold and not worrying about it. I'm thinking of getting a 2nd one and doing your mod. Question for you. Do you run it on battery going down the road? How long does it last? I don't have solar. My Ridgeline doesn't keep T@B battery charged enough thru 7 pin on the stock 3-way fridge. I'm wondering if I can run the ICECO off the T@B battery till I get to the site. I don't think I've used my propane tank for anything other than a once in a blue moon cooking inside. I'm normally on shore power and I bring a 5lb propane tank with me for my 2 burner grill. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    @rcarlson1957 - in order for the member with the ICECO to receive a notification of your post, precede their name with @ - just like I did to notify you.  Otherwise, they may not read your post.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    edited July 2021
    The 3 newest mods to our 2018 400.  One helps a damaged human back and the other helps control the 100 deg + Oklahoma heat!  Both worked great so far.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583

2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 151
    Installed some lockable storage.

Might I ask where you found the storage  box?
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options

Had a antique maritime map wrap put on the table.  This table is the new lighter weight one but it was prone to markings, so we had the wrap installed. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options

Aluminum shelf my brother-in-law made for us.  I attached it under the table, opening towards the driver's side.  Attached with small wood screws and liquid nails.  Perfect for holding a 15" Mac Laptop and Ipad Pro.  I'm 6'2" and my knees don't hit it. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    An effort to keep the bath cooler in warm weather and provide addition ventilation. Hope is the when running the A/C I can leave the bath fan on low setting and it will draw cooler air from cabin into the bath. Used silicone on bath side to seal. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    TABNewbiesTABNewbies Member Posts: 90
    First mods inspired by this forum to make things easier.
    The Jensen cube switch, with also a cigarette lighter socket added for a cheap and cheerful battery voltage.

The cutlery drawer slider to ease access underneath. 

Voila ...

2021 T@B 400 BD T@bitha with 2016 Highlander
    Juliet and Andy in Massachusetts
  • Options
    During a July 2021 visit to the nuCamp factory to have our floor replaced, we had the larger storage tub and platform installed.  I thought it would be easy to find to smaller aluminum boxes for each side but how wrong could I be.  So, first time welding aluminum, my brother-in-law and I made two and it only cost me $120 and two days.  While not perfect, we made them and we think they look great. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options
    CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 137
    Built a cheapie canopy/tarp!
    https://youtu.be/dExpq7KqD6o
    2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    DenverJaguarDenverJaguar Member Posts: 59
    Blueespy said:
    During a July 2021 visit to the nuCamp factory to have our floor replaced, we had the larger storage tub and platform installed.  I thought it would be easy to find to smaller aluminum boxes for each side but how wrong could I be.  So, first time welding aluminum, my brother-in-law and I made two and it only cost me $120 and two days.  While not perfect, we made them and we think they look great. 
    What are the dimensions of those extra boxes? They look great and for perfectly. Exactly what I want!
  • Options
    I believe they are 18" H, by 15" width (as you look from L to R) and 12" depth (F to B).  To give you perspective, in the driver's side box I have the bridge that goes with our stinky hose, box of rubber gloves, a 20' black hose and a 6' black hose.  The passenger side holds the hitch lock shown in the picture, a wheel hub lock, four rubber pads (as backup for the red plastic pads we use under the stabilizers) a small shovel and axe.  I was surprised there is plenty of room left for whatever else we needed.  Our plan for the main tub is to put a second propane bottle (for our soon to be acquired Honda generator) and our small Coleman Gas Grill.  I have a spare tire mount that I will mount to the front of the larger tub to hold our spare (we upgraded to one with matching rim and size to what is on the trailer).  We haven't increased the tongue weight too much - everything I mentioned was already being carried somewhere on the tongue.  The big addition will be the extra propane bottle (20lbs). 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    Niceville, Florida
This discussion has been closed.