Options

EXPANDED RECALL OF T@B 320's from 1/1/2013 to 8/31/2016 for 3-way refrigerators

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    mash2, Many thanks!!!!! That must have been the problem I was having. Again, thanks for being so quick about it, and Cyclonic, thanks for having the same thoughts! [mash2 had you on the draw though!] ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Michelle...yep, you'll see two hoses in there...one for the stove and one for the fridge. 

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    I have a thought for the fix on this, and am going to put it out here for some feed-back, as I had a similar problem with a heater hose in a truck rubbing against a sharp portion of a bracket. I used a slightly larger diameter hose, cut it to the appropriate length,sliced it length-wise, and slipped it over the existing hose to protect it from the sharp edge. Would this work in this particular application if there is not enough slack in the hose to bracket it away from this refrigerator fins?  
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    edited September 2016
    I haven't been in there in a few months, but I'm pretty sure mine looks like PXLs, and there is not much slack in the hose to work with.

I'll probably try using some sort of strap to gently pull and anchor the hose away from the fins. Assuming the hose hasn't been damaged yet, that should do the trick until PV gets a suitable replacement part ready to ship.

Barring that, PXL's pad suggestion should work, at least in the sense that the pad will wear through before the hose.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Verna, Thanks for adding the photos, just now went back to the top, and saw [as usual] you were on top of it already! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited September 2016
    I, too, have the hose laying on the fins, but there is slight damage to the hose (not as bad as @sranderle's hose). My fix is not for people with big hands. After removing the gray front cover (5 phillips screws), I could use a flat tiny ratchet with magnetic interchangeable square driver. I removed the screw to the bracket that was in the incorrect place. I then flipped the bracket over so the screw hole faced me.

Then I took long black zip ties and pulled the improperly laying hose tight against the properly installed hose starting below the fan assembly. I had enough slack to do this in the errant hose. The zip ties were placed down below the fan assembly, above it and at the top near the hose bend. After the hoses were in position, I could then screw the bracket back into the "wood" (mine is veneer white - T@Bitha). This hose ain't going nowhere. I know zip ties slip, but with three of them, I didn't even think I needed the bracket (but screwed it on anyways).

This is not an easy task and I rate it as "hard" for do-it-yourself'ers:

Things you need:
    Tiny flat specialized ratchet (I had it on hand because I use it for motorcycle stuff) with interchangeable heads
    Tiny hands
    Medium duty zip ties and the ability to get hand into the space to thread the zip ties.
    Small wrench to tighten zip ties (I used a tiny vise grip)
    A small adjustable headlamp with strap you can hold in your teeth to illuminate the area you are working in
    Patience
    Knowing you are going to drop that tiny screw at least 10 times and know where it's going to drop.

In addition to the gas line on the fins, both gas lines were squeezed against the metal fan assembly holder further down where the clamps were positioned. It just looked bent a bit to the left next to the hoses. No damage was seen to the hoses, but just in case, I bent the metal to a straighter position (fan is level now instead of skewed). The metal wasn't easy to move, btw.

OK, I failed "Taking Progress Pictures" in T@B University, but I did get some aftermath photos. Keep in mind I had both gray front panel off and the other side (kitchen sink) side panel off to do the work. Pictures got uploaded out of order.

Tools needed:

Top zip tie and clamp:

Middle and bottom zip tie:

Bottom zip tie near fan assembly - Note I bent the assembly away from the gas hoses.

Entire Fix - Top, clamp, middle, bottom ties.

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Just did a quick repair on another T@B using Rescue Tape.  Only one hose laying on the fins.  It had plenty of slack.  Was able to reach the affected area through the sink cabinet access panel.  This stuff really likes to stick to itself (like when you let duct tape fold onto itself).  Should provide enough protection until the T@B gets to the dealer for a permanent fix.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    My Mac won't open any of the above files including the one mash2 created.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    That's odd Photomom. I'm on a macbook air and could open them all. I did need an adobe reader program installed. Open Office opens any *.doc files. Let me know if there's a file format I can save in for you and I can send it to you.

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Pages will def work. I can usually open .docx but these download as .html and my system viewer barfs when trying to open them. Will PM you my email address.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    Just checked mine and have one hose resting on the fins but no damage to the hose. Not sure if there's enough slack to bracket it or not, will have to look closer when I get off the road.

Could one just insert a rubber pad between the fins and hose if not enough slack. Something that wouldn't interfere with the operation but still protect the hose? Am a long ways from a dealer.
    I would think you could as a temporary fix.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Ratkity said:
    Photomom said:
    That's odd Photomom. I'm on a macbook air and could open them all. I did need an adobe reader program installed. Open Office opens any *.doc files. Let me know if there's a file format I can save in for you and I can send it to you.

Got Photomom the files. All is well :)
  • Options
    Ratkity was kind enough to email the files. Will check on my T@B later.

I am having trouble telling the difference in the two pictures - one is labeled improper installation... and the other is labeled proper installation... but both show the hoses with a clamp attaching them to the wooden cabinet wall.
  • Options
    Just a thought.. don't those fins get very hot? Don't know how hot, however. Doubt they can reach 500F as indicated in the Rescue tape though!!!!
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Ratkity was kind enough to email the files. Will check on my T@B later.

I am having trouble telling the difference in the two pictures - one is labeled improper installation... and the other is labeled proper installation... but both show the hoses with a clamp attaching them to the wooden cabinet wall.

The clamp in the improper installation is way too low and causing one hose to rub over the top of the fins, causing damage to the hose. The fins are very stiff and are able to rub a hole in the hose.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Those of you who do what you consider a permanent fix need to please send photos along with VIN, your name, address,  phone # and email address to Ed, please. He will have to OK the fix and report it to the appropriate authorities as fixed by owner. These recall issues do have a lot of legalities hidden in the fine print that PV must follow.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Problem solved/averted...installed a 3/4" cable clamp.  The fact the stove top comes up so easy meant I didn't worry about anchoring into the access panel. I noticed one of my Dometic stove-top screws had come off the countertop (easy to fix), and insulation that was covering half of the fins against the access panel wall (pushed back).  Whew!
    !  

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    Verna said:
    Those of you who do what you consider a permanent fix need to please send photos along with VIN, your name, address,  phone # and email address to Ed, please. He will have to OK the fix and report it to the appropriate authorities as fixed by owner. These recall issues do have a lot of legalities hidden in the fine print that PV must follow.  
    Sorry if this has been discussed already - or if it's too soon - but since Ed want's to OK our DIY fixes are they going to send out the double hose holder clip that I see in the pictures? Otherwise I'm very much inclined to fix mine with zip-ties and gorilla tape :)
  • Options
    I took the cover off mine to check. I think the clips might be lower than they should be but the closest hose is about 1/3 inch from the fins and appears to be pretty stable, so In my judgment this can wait a bit.

I am wondering if the white insulation stuff should be lying on the fins like this.

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Gosh, how do you all have so much room in front when you took your panel off? I can barely get my hand in there. Also would like to know about the white insulation stuff. Mine is also over the fins (but not in between the hoses and the fins).  

Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Michelle...yep, you'll see two hoses in there...one for the stove and one for the fridge. 
    After looking again, the stove hose is also against the fins. It's so tight in there, even my tiny hands aren't able to move the 2nd hose to see or feel for any wear. The fridge hose definitely is compromised. I sent Ed/Warranty a new set of pics and all the info requested. I do not think there's enough slack in mine to easily install new brackets - but will let a dealer determine that. Since my truck got side-swiped, it's in the shop and I may not get it back for 3 weeks or so --- then will have to get the T@B to the San Diego dealer (upon Ed's authorization). Gosh, hope this can be done before I'm due to leave Oceanside the beginning of Nov! 
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Verna said:
    Thanks V, will do.
  • Options
    DebWildDebWild Member Posts: 13
    JustJohn said:
    Well, my Outback has the hoses laying on the fins. Problem is my dealer is so untrustworthy I will never spend another penny with them and would not trust them to make the repair, even a free warranty repair. I have paid the labor charges for three warranty repairs so far, so looks like I'll be paying for a another. I sent Ed an email this morning requesting the parts and any instructions for the repair and I know he will do everything he can to help all of us get this resolved.

JustJohn - please tell me who your dealer is so I don't go to them when I'm ready to buy....!!!!
  • Options
    Problem solved/averted...installed a 3/4" cable clamp.  The fact the stove top comes up so easy meant I didn't worry about anchoring into the access panel. I noticed one of my Dometic stove-top screws had come off the countertop (easy to fix), and insulation that was covering half of the fins against the access panel wall (pushed back).  Whew!
    !  
    You just won't be able to get the access panel off from the sink side, Durango.
  • Options
    Well, I thought the damage to the propane stove line wasn't bad, but there's a flat spot where it rubbed on the fins. Feels likes someone shaved the outer part of the propane line a tad. I sent an email to Ed. I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. Is there an inner lining to propane lines, like a tire?
  • Options
    Just opened up my panel and mine, too, is laying against the fins and I see it's been compromised. Really tight in there - hope to be able to get a clear pic of it and will send to Ed.  Question - can I assume there's a different propane hose going to the stove? I'm on shore power (so no propane going to fridge) but I am using the stove every day.
    Yes, there are separate hoses going to the stove and the fridge. However, they both tie into the same iron manifold underneath the T@B. If the gas is on at the tank, both lines may have gas in them, even if you are not running the fridge.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Checked out mine this afternoon (2015-S). The fridge line was touching the fins, but just barely. I think my psuedo-tiny hands are small enough to do the "Ratkity mod" and call it good.

On mine, it looks like if they had just swapped the position of the fridge and stove propane lines, this probably would not have been an issue. DurangoTaB and Photomom, it appears that's how yours are configured. Mine is the opposite--the fridge line crosses in front of the stove line, which nudges it into the fins. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    My fridge hose is chaffed enough from the fins to warrant a replacement hose. I consider my T@B unsafe and inoperable until a new hose is installed. What do I do next Verna?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    @Ratkity... Per Ed K the hoses have a metal braid between 2 layers of rubber.  If abrasion/wear is down that far it's time out.

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2016
    PXlated ---  Yes I'll just do that in my spare time.  Some of us aren't retired ;) .  Have large tool box and very familiar with a Phillips screwdriver.  
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner