Options

EXPANDED RECALL OF T@B 320's from 1/1/2013 to 8/31/2016 for 3-way refrigerators

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    PXLated said:
    Amongst other things :-)
    ROFL
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    ScottG said:
    It might also be helpful if T@bbers who have this condition--but do not have any significant damage to their propane hose--could take a breather and give PV a chance to respond to those who need immediate action. Zip tie it, pad, it, whatever--that hose is not going to self-destruct overnight!
    And even if you have a hole in the hose you can turn the propane off at the tank and still use your trailer.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    The propane hose to the stove is fine.  The hose to the fridge didn't have enough slack to get it off the fins.  The first photo shows the factory configuration (no slack).  I went to a hardware store and purchased an angle fitting ($2.50) in order to get more slack in the hose by the fins.  Worked great (second photo).  Now fridge hose is completely off the fins.  Had to put the stove on shore power for about an hour before it would light on propane.  Left it on all night and re-checked for leaks near the fitting.  The temperature at the fins is approximately 128 degrees, so the Rescue Tape should work (rated at 500 degrees).  Also, I used the yellow Teflon tape made for gas around the fittings.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,439
    I like that, OutbackAZ. I noticed the sweeping bend in the hose cost a lot of slack. Was the special yellow teflon tape also available at the hardware store?

2015 T@B S

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Nice.
    With those pics, if one didn't want to attempt this themselves, they could probably find a heating/AC/refrideration person - they're usually certified to work with gas - to do this.
  • Options
    Scott - Yes, available everywhere.  Looks just like white Teflon tape, only yellow. Should be located near the gas fittings and pipes.

FYI - I just noticed when I put the stove back in the cabinet, the fridge propane hose now has so much slack, it lays against the underside of the left burner.  I'll need to secure it to the top of the fridge somehow to keep that from happening.  Will post pics when I get it figured out.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2016
    Kayakath, I'd think that Pleasant Valley/NuCamp will probably honor any repair you have done, of this recall item, either if you do it yourself, or if you have an RV repair place do it.

Edit: I really haven't any idea if Nucamp will reimburse you for an unauthorized repair. I've experienced that policy with most automotive recalls, but don't know if the same would necessarily apply for camper recalls.

If you're uncomfortable with the condition/position of the hose, you could get it fixed and document everything, and hope NuCamp will reimburse you.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Good one DurangoTaB & PXL both, I needed a good chuckle this morning. B) [Ratkity, sorry it was at your expense...not really :D
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I'm pretty sure I've PxLated  a few things on the T@B before as well. : B)
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I too have hoses touching fins and I too am getting ready to head out for a few weeks. So I tie wrapped irrigation hose over the gas lines and put all back where I found it. I can't imagine the problem worsening. When I return home I will see what the fine folks who build our toys can do for me.
    Would a piece of an irrigation hose be easier to work with than a piece of a water hose (in terms of slicing and getting it over the section of compromise)? Any particular size to ask for at a hardware store? I think I'll do the same until it can be fixed by a dealer. Thanks!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    db_cooper, As long as you don't do it in the pink flamingo shorts, you're good to go!  ;)=)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    No, that insulation on the fins shouldn't be there. It impedes the flow of cooling air. (But I bet you already suspected that @Photomom B) )
    Photomom said:
    I took the cover off mine to check. I think the clips might be lower than they should be but the closest hose is about 1/3 inch from the fins and appears to be pretty stable, so In my judgment this can wait a bit.

I am wondering if the white insulation stuff should be lying on the fins like this.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW, I guess that brings up the question of... why is it there?
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    ericnliz, that would be the question!

My guess is that it's an attempt at insulating the exhaust pipe, which gets pretty hot. In the photo, in the lower left, you can see the silver flexible 'corrugated' exhaust pipe by peering between the propane hoses and the cooling fins.

If you lift the stove from the countertop, you can see it all better.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Chan, thanks, I'll take another peek as my first concern was the propane hose, then all the propane connections for tightness.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ericnliz said:
    Good one DurangoTaB & PXL both, I needed a good chuckle this morning. B) [Ratkity, sorry it was at your expense...not really :D
    :lol: Always up for a good one from the master!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    ericnliz said:
    ChanW, I guess that brings up the question of... why is it there?
    That is a great question and I suspect ChanW has the right answer. The next question is since most of us have installed the fan in the vent mod. or have it as a standard install, is the insulation still necessary? I removed it when I Ratkitted my hoses because it was partially blocking circulation to the fins. As a result my fridge is definitely running cooler and my cabinets are cooler to the touch. I am running on shore power so I didn't consider the effect if running on propane. I would guess, and it is a guess, is that it is no longer necessary and the removal of insulation increases airflow. This is really a question that needs to be addressed to PV. Maybe Verna can do that in her spare time. :)
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I removed the access panel under the sink for a better look. I am guessing the insulation is there to keep the sink and under sink areas from getting hot. I have to assume that PV put it there for a reason so I'm not going to remove it, but I will try to reposition it so its not lying right on the fins.

I removed the screws holding the stove to the countertop but it is stuck down with some very neatly applied caulk so lifting it will be the last thing I want to do.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom - use a plastic putty knife to break the caulking bead around the stove.  Works great and doesn't scratch the countertop.
  • Options
    JustJohn, Careful with Verna at this point there buddy! That Magic Wand works in ways you don't EVEN want to test out :o. She's probably waving it around furiously right now trying to help us all out with this recall. On another note, I don't think I'm going to remove the insulation, rather, just move it down further to protect everything else from that propane exhaust vent. That thing gets REALLY hot, so I'm quite sure that insulation was put there for a real good reason. Just my opinion on that one.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Yeah, the exhaust pipe needs to be insulated from the rest of the area. Careful what kind of insulation you use against that pipe. It needs to be rated at the high temp of the pipe. Alde specs probably sez what that temp is.

This is getting off topic. It's an important topic, so we probably should try to keep it focused.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Kayakath,

Edit of my previous post: I really haven't any idea if Nucamp will reimburse you for an unauthorized repair. I've experienced that policy with most automotive recalls, but don't know if the same would necessarily apply for camper recalls.

If you're uncomfortable with the condition/position of the hose, you could get it fixed and document everything, and hope NuCamp will reimburse you.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2789/solution-finally-for-hot-counter-top#latest
    See picture in thrrad

I too was curious you can see hose laying on fins and alreadd had some wear on it. I tried to move off fins but not enough slack in hose
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    One more comment about the insulation, would fiberboard insulation work instead of the standard insulation?  Seems like it would stay in place to keep the sink area from heating up.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,439
    edited October 2016
    Another solution... Not necessarily any better than those already suggested, but it was quick and easy, and--for me at least--did not involve a shopping trip for parts.

As noted in my previous post, my particular issue stemmed from careless routing of the two gas hoses. The fridge hose was originally routed to the front of the cabinet. This cost a bit of slack, and forced it to cross over the stove hose. (Sorry, I should have taken a "before" picture, but I didn't.)

So, having noted that the two hoses were identical in terms of their fittings and their length, I detached them from their respective appliances and swapped them around. This not only eliminated the crossing over problem, but provided just enough slack in the fridge hose to allow me to clamp it securely to the back wall in a manner that holds it off the fins. (I used 1/2" conduit clamps only because that's what I had lying around.) This arrangement is similar to what is shown in PV's recall bulletin, and I consider it a permanent solution.

If this works for you and you want to attempt it, please note the following with regard to the propane fittings. Advice is worth what you pay for it, and I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE if you blow yourself up!

- When attaching or detaching a hose, use a second wrench to hold the companion fitting. You don't want to inadvertently loosen those from their respective appliance.

- The hose attachments utilize flared fittings. Unlike ordinary threaded fittings, these should not be used with sealing compound or tape.

- After you swap the hoses and snug down the fittings, turn on the gas and spread soapy water at the joint to ensure there are no leaks. (And while you're at it, you might as well also check other fittings in the vicinity.)

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Nice job Scott. Glad you pointed out the technical points re when not to use thread sealant. 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I too have hoses touching fins and I too am getting ready to head out for a few weeks. So I tie wrapped irrigation hose over the gas lines and put all back where I found it. I can't imagine the problem worsening. When I return home I will see what the fine folks who build our toys can do for me.
    What size irrigation hose should I get?

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited October 2016
    ScottG - Switching hoses looks like an easy way to go. Could probably get any appliance service company to do that if one didn't feel they could do it themselves.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    For a temporary "block" between the hoses and fins I stuck a thick rubber sprinkler valve washer in there. Do you think this is okay until I take it in? May be a few months before that will happen. 

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    edited October 2016
    I'm pretty sure I'm safe here. Not the greatest pic but if anyones sees a problem let me know

Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150