Winter Use of our T@B

Hello everyone,    I need some advice and help.

My wife and I owned a 2009 T@B L model until June when it was totaled in an accident.   We just replaced it with a 2015 T@B Q model.  We live in N. AZ and like to use our trailer year round taking it out for weekend trips. Our L had the simple 5 gallon water tank, sink drain hose and water pump under the kitchen counter, as I said simple.  We would open the cabinet doors and just leave a small ceramic space heater on low so we could head out without any hassles.  Our camping trips took us to Williams, AZ one year for Easter, it got down to 15 degrees but because we had all the plumping and tank inside with us it was not an issue.    

On the new T@B with the fresh water tank, greywater tank, outdoor shower and connector hoses outside I was concerned about how to keep them from freezing when traveling and camping in cold country?   The dealer did not know and recommended I contact NuCamp which I did only to be told it is now a 3 season only camper unless we winterize it completely then not use the water. Only being a 3 season camper does not work for us, being simple was our reason for going to the T@B in the first place.

The person at NuCamp I soke with recommended I reach out to the Forum to see how others handle the cold weather issues.   I am hoping to solve this so we can continue to enjoy our new T@B (which we have named "T2").   Thanks for you assistance.    

Mark Fricke

AZ

Comments

• easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48
    I have a 2016 CSS and use it through the winter. I have camped with temperatures down to 8F and only used the Alde Heat to maintained the temperature set on the thermostat which was 65F. I winterize the plumbing but don't feel that impacts my enjoyment for camping in the T@b, just part of camping in below freezing temps.
  • kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    We have a 2018 Outback S. We camp frequently with the water system winterized. We have a gallon and a half water bottle that we fill and keep it in the heated camper. Not having on board water has not kept us from winter camping. The Alde keeps the cabin nice and cozy. One of the reasons we purchased the T@B was to enable us to camp in all four seasons. Enjoy! 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We use ours at ski areas in the winter, and while we don't use the freshwater or water hookup, we do use the toilet.  We carry a couple of 2.5 gallon jugs for drinking and cooking, and use  RV antifreeze to "flush" the toilet.  It's usually above freezing when we return home and dump the black tank.

The T@b uses Pex plumbing lines so it has some protection, if it's only slightly below freezing for a few hours we sometimes chance it.  

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @dragonsdofly Thank goodness you have electricity! So sorry you’re stuck for a bit, but I’m happy you have your experience and knowledge of your T@B. And I really hope you have some board (or as I call them, bored) games or movies, music and oh yeah, food! Keep your good cheer and let us know what’s happening please.
    Judi
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    @MAF, as you have probably gathered from the previous responses, the T@B's water system is not designed to be used in the winter. Much of the plumbing is outside of the heated space and as such will be subject to damage in freezing temperatures.
    Mods to truly winterize the camper have been discussed here in the past, but the general feeling was that they were neither simple nor practical. If you are hearty enough to camp in the winter, you should probably heed the suggestions above.
    2015 T@B S
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @dragonsdofly YIKES! Thank goodness for the Alde system! I love it! For the toilet I use the two bag/litterbox set up when I'm winterized. It would be cheaper for you than antifreeze I would think.  It is getting to be that time of year up here; 23' this morning when I got up and the 'S' word is being tossed around by weather people. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @MAF, we have camped in the winter, -5°F (5 below!), and we were toasty with the Alde heat. Had to do without running water, just used jugs for drinking water, and took advantage of the campground facilities otherwise.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Similar to others, I bring my own water and use wag bags in the toilet. I have a 5 gallon freshwater tank under the sink, but I am worried about the other plumbing. My big water spray bottle is also a big help. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My version of Jenn's wag bags are the "GoAnywhere" bags I purchased at Bass Pro. They fit the potty better than two other brands I tried. I also purchased a stand-alone container of "poo powder". Amazing stuff! Absorbs a lot. I always bring drinkable water and wipes that leaves no residue on the skin. I was thinking of dry shampoo, but aerosols tend to set off the CO/propane monitor hehe. 

@dragonsdofly, I'm very impressed on how you've managed your T@B in those wintery conditions! Pex tubing is fairly forgiving and if you've done that blow-out technique, you'll doing great. The antifreeze flush is great. You can water down it a tiny bit if you get too low. I guess managing boredom the worst part. Or maybe living in a tiny space with two people.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Ratkity, yes, after 51 years, there can truly be too much "togetherness". But to be fair, this year for Christmas, birthday, anniversary and all holidays, I'll give the hubby the gift I've given him for the past 50+ years. I'll let him live (for now)! 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    :rofl: So the trip to the grocery store was a really a reprieve or stress-reliever! Forget groceries, you needed a breather. :lol::innocent:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @gregp Amazing mod!!! Did you put a temperature probe near bottom of tanks with alarm on a BT app?  Do you run Alde while heading to your next resort?  Might it be insulated enough that a couple hundred watts of infrared lamps running off solar would keep it above freezing if hesitant to use propane on the road?  All the ski nuts are standing by in eager anticipation of your testing!! 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• gregpgregp Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2018
    @DougH all great questions!  No I have not put a temperature gage/probe near the tanks yet but I do have a trap door for the fresh water drain so I may put a temp sensor in there and see what it says, am very curious too!  My plan is to run the Alde while driving off of propane.  Ill keep you posted.  thanks!
    TAB 320S ,  2018 Volvo V90
    An update from skiing at Crystal Mtn last weekend.  The temperature dropped to 24 degrees during the night, turned the interior temp down to 60 degrees.  According to my wireless thermometer sensor in the enclosed holding tank space, the temp was 68 degrees so no chance of freezing tanks on this trip.  The Alde system was on electricity and had it set to the second level.  Overall I am very happy with the enclosed holding/fresh water tank mod!
    Can you create 500 kits for us and have them ready to install at Nucamp 2019?  Better yet, put the kit including installation on eBay and let us start buying them from you?  Seriously though, fantastic news!

edited November 2018
    @gregp, X2! Yep, what @DougH said.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    I post a few pics from the instillation process if that would be helpful. Its some work but totally doable. Ill get them up tomorrow 
  • sdenhofsdenhof Member Posts: 43
    @dragonsdofly Just saw this post about your stay in Evanston WY. We are born and raised Michiganders and now live in Evanston with our Tab 400. We are on the road and won't be back till Jan.  Hope your return to Michigan went will:) 
    2018 Tab 400 towed by 2013 F150
    Evanston Wyoming home
  • mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    wow!!!  this is cool stuff,  you need show us some photos!!!!! 
    And how was the skiing?  Seems weird to have so much of the glorious white stuff in November.

Very early season here in WA  Mostly man made snow on a just a few runs.  But we are skiing!
    @gregp, thanks so much for the photos and write up. Just curious, how are you protecting the tank exit plumbing and gate valves?
    Actually that's the weak point in the mod, I couldn't see any practical solution so am relying on anti freeze in the grey and black water tanks.  Used a half gallon in each last weekend in 24 degree weather and had no problems.  Greg
    @gregp, thanks. That's what we had to do while stranded in Wyoming.  RV antifreeze in the gray and black tanks, and worked into the gate valves. Ambient temps as low as 8-10°F and wind chills as low as -5°F, with no damage. However we didn't put water in the gray tank, with no water in the black tank, only human waste. Those temps were easily survivable. 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @gregp. Somewhere I read that you can use a spray bottle filled with antifreeze and spray the gate valves(s) of the tanks.  That would be an easy fix.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    @Sharon_is_SAM thanks I will give it a try!