Alde Freight Train (Alde 3010 model)

DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
When our Alde is cooking on propane it really rumbles.  I've seen one comment that insulating the exhaust helped a little, but not many more comments than that. I don't know if we have an altitude issue (fuel ratio?  We often camp at 8000ft), settings issue, or what.  With our dealer gone (they wouldn't have been much help anyway), should I contact LG, Alde U.S. (Portland), the nearest maintence shop (a Freightliner truck & RV place 200 miles north), or Alde Sweden (which I've done before).  Note the pump is as low as it gets...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Try Alde U.S. since you're probably out of warranty.  I've heard lots of great comments about their customer srvice. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Thanks Verna...I gave them a call and left a message on their voice mail and email (I also emailed Sweden, where I've had better luck).  The noise is loud enough where we can't use it for overnight heating...the noise is loud enough to wake us. 

J.D. & Sue

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    When our Alde is cooking on propane it really rumbles.  I've seen one comment that insulating the exhaust helped a little, but not many more comments than that. I don't know if we have an altitude issue (fuel ratio?  We often camp at 8000ft), settings issue, or what.  With our dealer gone (they wouldn't have been much help anyway), should I contact LG, Alde U.S. (Portland), the nearest maintence shop (a Freightliner truck & RV place 200 miles north), or Alde Sweden (which I've done before).  Note the pump is as low as it gets...

Someone on the FB group posted today that the VP of Alde USA told her that the Alde would not work above 6,000'. I know I have camped above 8,000' and not had issues. I will be curious to hear what they tell you.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

I'll let you know...there are at least 10 T@Bs in Durango and many mor in the mountain West.  Stay tuned!

J.D. & Sue

And a bunch along the front range, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Sheesh, we live at 6200 and we camp at or above 8000 often. We've not cranked up the Alde yet, but will let you know.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
    Sheesh, we live at 6200 and we camp at or above 8000 often. We've not cranked up the Alde yet, but will let you know.
    Yeah. I am not sure I have camped below 6,000' in Colorado. Ridgeway is probably the lowest at 6,900'.

• BiggsTaBBiggsTaB Member Posts: 2
    HERE IS THE RESPONSE I GOT FROM ALDE WHEN I CONTACTED THEM ABOUT THE LOUD NOISE OUR ALDE MADE AT 7400 FEET. ON THE FACEBOOK FORUMS MANY PEOPLE HAVE STATED THEY HAVE NO PROBLEMS AT EVEN HIGHER ALTITUDES BUT SOME DO. FRUSTRATING.

Thank you for contacting Alde!

So where I think the problem is that you get much above 6500 feet or so, we
    can't handle that kind of elevation. We are currently working on some high
    altitude testing, but as of now, I don’t have an easy answer or fix.

Is there any way you can use the electric side? It should work fine even at
    40 degrees outside.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks!

Joe

Joe Elwell
    Vice President & US Operations

4018 NE 112th Ave Suite D5
    Vancouver, WA 98682
    P: 877-860-9814 F: 360-718-7077
    www.alde.us
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Were those at higher elevations on shorepower or propane?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2016
    (SAM, he's questioning propane burner noise)

I'm surprised to hear that!  6500 feet?

That's pretty silly.

Maybe they're confusing feet with meters. B-/

Durango, let us know if you hear different.

BiggsTaB said:
    HERE IS THE RESPONSE I GOT FROM ALDE WHEN I CONTACTED THEM ABOUT THE LOUD NOISE OUR ALDE MADE AT 7400 FEET. ON THE FACEBOOK FORUMS MANY PEOPLE HAVE STATED THEY HAVE NO PROBLEMS AT EVEN HIGHER ALTITUDES BUT SOME DO. FRUSTRATING.

So where I think the problem is that you get much above 6500 feet or so, we
    can't handle that kind of elevation. We are currently working on some high
    altitude testing, but as of now, I don’t have an easy answer or fix.

Is there any way you can use the electric side? It should work fine even at
    40 degrees outside.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks!

Joe

Joe Elwell

Vancouver, WA 98682
    P: 877-860-9814 F: 360-718-7077
    www.alde.us

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • BiggsTaBBiggsTaB Member Posts: 2
    That was running on propane.  Aldo VP said running on shore would fix the issue.  
  • source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    Since we both live in Durango we have the same issue.  I called Alde US and they are researching a high altitude kit.  I am on their list for beta testers if the kit ever gets launched.  I will let you know if I am ever contacted.

Get down to around 5,000ft msl and the rumble goes away, almost.  Sort of embarrassing when it sounds like you have a sub-woofer cranking away while camping.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

Hmmm...odd that LG has standardized the "high altitude" kit for the fridge, but no such consideration for the thousands of resident/visitor T@B owners who camp at high altitude.  The suggestion to use shore power is a little odd...we boondock at high altitude to get away from shore power!

No response from Alde U.S. or Sweden yet.

J.D. & Sue

Yay!  I think... I haven't heard back from Alde U.S. or Sweden :-(  so I called the TransWest trucker dudes up in Grand Junction (thanks to the Alde app referral).  They answered the phone quickly and connected me with Kevin in Service...he's had experience with the symptoms and knew exactly what I was talking about; he strongly suggested NOT to mess with the fuel mixture (or bother with the pump), but did have success with increasing the propane regulator pressure from 11 to 13wc (water column) inches.  Says it'll help with running the fridge as well.  Since any RV shop can do this, I'll be taking our T@B across town to Tarpley soon!  If this works it'll be a huge help to a lot of folks.... 

J.D. & Sue

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited May 2016
    Hmmm...odd that LG has standardized the "high altitude" kit for the fridge, but no such consideration for the thousands of resident/visitor T@B owners who camp at high altitude.  The suggestion to use shore power is a little odd...we boondock at high altitude to get away from shore power!

No response from Alde U.S. or Sweden yet.
    J.D., the high altitude kit is from the refrigerator manufacturer, not from Pleasant Valley. Yes, Pleasant Valley did realize they would need a high altitude kit, it was available, and Pleasant Valley did start buying it and installing it. Since no kit is apparently available for the Alde, Pleasant Valley hasn't installed it. 

When you guys come up with a solution, I'll be sure to share the information with Pleasant Valley so they can keep up with the "new stuff", just as Mike and I do with other modifications. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    edited May 2016
    I'm surprised you'd increase the LP pressure at altitude. I'd think you'd need to reduce the LP if anything, due to less oxygen at altitude. At least on my old Honda 450 motor-sickle, I reduced the main jet size at altitude...

Keep us updated on your results.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241

I'm wondering that if you increase the pressure at the regulator, how it would affect the fridge, since it already has compensation for higher altitudes. By recommending going on 110v power for the Alde at higher altitudes, I don't think Alde understands the amount of boondocking Coloradans do where the mean altitude of Colorado is 6,800 feet.

'17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
    Hmmm...not sure who to believe...even Oregon has some camping over 7000ft (I've done it!)
    JD 

Hi John,

So the issue that you are finding is due to the high altitude. Because of
    the lack of oxygen, it will tend to pop and roar.

There are no "high altitude' adjustments. The soot is a result of the high
    altitude. 

We are currently working on some high altitude ideas, but have nothing to
    share at this point.

Lowering the pump setting WILL NOT affect this at all. Turning the pump will
    only quiet the pump but may cause you to lose some heat effiency.
    Your pump is set correctly.

Insulating the pipe won't change any of that either.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks
    Joe Elwell

Vancouver, WA 98682
    P: 877-860-9814 F: 360-718-7077

J.D. & Sue

• DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2016
    Will follow this with interest as we live at 6,000ft here in UT and often camp above that. I knew before we bought, that the Alde might be an issue but haven't had a problem so far. Most high altitude camping around here would be BLM or NF land and shore power isn't available.
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

I insulated the exhaust pipe. Helped a little but not worth the effort. 
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Just spent a week passing thru / camping between 6000 and 7500 with no problems.
    edited May 2016
    Ok, so some of our Alde units have this problem, and some don't. 

What's the difference between them?... I wonder if we have enough tech know-how among us to work out a solution (Although Alde should probably get out of the lowlands of Seattle/Sveden, and work it out).

I wonder if a fan on the air intake, slightly pressurizing the incoming air, would increase the O2 content in any effective way. Just a thought.

How about experimenting with the propane supply to the Alde, reducing the LP pressure? source3 or Durango, do you have an adjustable propane regulator on your Tab?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    ChanW said:
    How about experimenting with the propane supply to the Alde, reducing the LP pressure? source3 or Durango, do you have an adjustable propane regulator on your Tab?

I do not.  I just decided to live with the rumble.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

Will check tomorrow and talk to our local RV folks...

J.D. & Sue

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350

More clues on the Alde vibration problem at higher altitudes.  Two weeks ago I camped at 5,300 feet elevation.  Nighttime temp 32.  Alde worked fine with no unusual noises.  This weekend camped at 7,350 elevation.  Nighttime temp 36.  LOUD vibration noise at this higher altitude.  So loud, I was concerned I'd disturb nearby campers.  However, the Alde made the loud noises only at lower temperatures.  At 5:00 am, with the temperature at 36 degrees, the Alde was really loud.  However, at 8:00 am with temperatures in the mid 50's there was no noise at all.

The vibration noise sounds like its coming from that 2" black plastic flex hose going from the Alde unit to the outside wall of the camper.  That flex hose actually covers a solid pipe of some type.  Looks like there should be a 1/4" space between the solid pipe and the flex hose.  I'm guessing the solid pipe is the exhaust, while the space between it and the flex hose is the fresh air intake (take off the vent cap on the outside to confirm).  My vibration noise was clearly coming from a section of the flex hose that was laying on the solid pipe within.  If I gently raised the flex hose a little bit at this area, the vibration noise was greatly reduced.  I'm no expert here, but I'm guessing at the higher elevations with lower temperatures, the intake flow somehow gets screwed up by the flex hose restricting the intake at the point it lays on the solid pipe within.

Another experienced camper suggested contacting the Alde factory to see if they make a propane "jet" set for higher altitudes.  He also suggested trying to keep the propane tank warm at the higher altitudes.

This is a serious problem with the Alde.  Hopefully, the factory people can offer a practical solution.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Wow Outback, that's some investigative details! Keep us informed. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Camping at 9400' last night I had a small rumble. It was in the 40's at bed time. I turned it off so as not to disturb the tent Campers in the adjacent to site, because they were so close together.

That was darned considerate Jenn. Here's hoping your karma comes back to you, when you're the little guy (so to speak) among giants.

I think that was the way we were turned off to so-called camping, thirty years ago, when we set up our tent in the only spot left in the CG, between two monsters with AC and generators.

We were ignorant of the reality at the time, and thought they had a pretty strange idea for 'camping'. I guess I thought camping was more like rubbing two sticks together, etc. B-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I'm very nice and considerate to tenters unless they pull out their cast iron pans out at first light and start clanking around with breakfast. That makes me ornery :-(
    Well I expect the birds' singing is what awakened them, seeings how there's only thin fabric betwixt them and the wildness. They probably figure everyone's already awake!

And how could anyone be ornery out here in the wildness, anyway? 

And a good cup of coffee ought to fix that case of ornery (ie: not the instant kind)... B-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya