Frame cracks where tongue bolts to frame

Comments

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    I think tow mileage maybe a factor and or maybe road conditions. Some road in the US are getting really bad California for one. That’s still no excuse for this kind of failure.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I am picking up my T@b from my mom's and dropping it off for a few things this weekend and will check my 2015, then. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Many things can generate cracks on a frame.

among thoses,
    -Frames is not strong enough for the task it is used for
    -Poorly design frame (assembling process and fastener type)
    -Bad material batch
    -overloading a trailer
    -overloading a suspension ( when suspension bottom out, stress overload is transmitted to the frame)
    -underloadind a suspension ( create more unecessary bounce)
    -twisting of frame, rearly happen with a single axle trailer because or the 3 point supprt ( each wheels and tongue).
    -and bad handling of frame, like it happen on a batch of T@G trailer not to long ago.

2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
    edited February 2018
    @Luckyj whatever the cause the bottom line is it’ not good and needs to be addressed. Anyone with a NuCamp TAB needs to inspect it regularly. I am not blaming NuCamp they do not manufacture the frames. There are currently four trailers with this exact problem I have documented. I do not feel this is an isolated problem.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    I decided I would check my frame today. Yep it’s cracked. 2015 CS-S. Has about 21000 towed miles on it. Only the passenger side is cracked. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

Mine is cracked as well. 2015 CS-S. 

• dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @Dalehelman Do we know if they are all 2015s?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited February 2018
    Moderator's note:

I've merged the other related thread into this more active one, and added a header to Dale's clarification about the specific location of the cracks.

This is an important discussion and we'd do best keep it consolidated and not let it veer off in different directions. We already have another older thread on the same topic that has been simultaneously resurrected!
    2015 T@B S
    @dsatwork I know that 3 are 2015s I am not sure what Nathan and Patty’s are. At this point we are up to five.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @dsatwork I know that 3 are 2015s I am not sure what Nathan and Patty’s are. At this point we are up to five.
    Just thinking out loud.....it's probably better for everyone involved, if it is contained to a single year, that is identifiable by a specific manufacturing run. 
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @dsatwork, Some VIN #'s might be helpful in narrowing things down also. Just a thought..... ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

If mine is affected, the factory will have its hands directly on one. I had already planned to drop it off this weekend in Sugar creek. Mine is also a 2015.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

@jkjenn. I will  anxiously await your findings. I hope it is not an issue on yours. If it is a first hand look at it may be helpful. We will be there In July for the rally. How about you?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    edited February 2018
    @jkjenn. I will  anxiously await your findings. I hope it is not an issue on yours. If it is a first hand look at it may be helpful. We will be there In July for the rally. How about you?
    Unfortunately, Ucamp starts a couple of days before my vacation. I am not sure that work would be OK with me tacking on a few more days after 12 days off.

• PITPATPITPAT Member Posts: 32
    @Dalehelman Just saw this posting Dale. My CS-S is also a 2015. The plot thickens.  
    Patty
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2015 T@B CS-S Maxx  being towed by Nissan Pathfinder

Looks like four out of five have been 2015 so for. I am not sure what year Nathan’s is.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • monamona Member Posts: 240
    I should have provided more info on my previous comment. No cracks, 2015 max s, low tow miles(around 4000). Manufactured January 2015. 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • SystemSystem Posts: 180
    edited February 2018
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Frame Cracks.

Another mod note:

I've moved the more recent comments from Sabel's Frame Cracks discussion over here.

Lets try to keep all this info in one place so if we need to compile something to send to nuCamp it won't give us mods and admins screaming fits. Thanks!

ScottG
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @Dalehelman - Cyclonic’s signature line says 2012 TaB.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    @Luckyj whatever the cause the bottom line is it’ not good and needs to be addressed. Anyone with a NuCamp TAB needs to inspect it regularly. I am not blaming NuCamp they do not manufacture the frames. There are currently four trailers with this exact problem I have documented. I do not feel this is an isolated problem.
    @Dalehelman
    I totaly agree with you.  The problems does exist and in my book, it should not have happen. But I also found out here, that pointing a finger is not well received by the moderators. I eneven remember how one on them was describing how pease (the mod) was about how sturdy and strong the frame was, being able to support all those road bumps.  And like you say, Nucamp are not fabing the frame them selves. But the send out the specs and accept the delivery of that sub assembly.

now, I major thing for NuCamp, is that they really stand behing theire product, with top notch custumer and warranty service.  They are way better that my dealer can be so far. Like I have always said, I give credit to whom deserve it.

hope you guys are able to get satisfaction, cause loosing a trailer for any amout of time for repair, is never a good news. No matter how you look at it.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
    I am communicating with NuCamp and NuCamp is apparently talking to the chassis manufacturer. At this time it will not effect our usage. I will be checking with a certified welder for his opinion. At a minimum I will probably have the crack welded then monitor for a reoccurrence of the problem.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • monamona Member Posts: 240
    If, indeed, it is a bad batch of 2015’s, there is number chalked on the tongue that could narrow it down, maybe. Mine is still visible. 
    Door side of camper. Mine is 1324. 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    I believe the actual date of manufacture is printed on the sticker with the gross weights, etc. on the driver side of the frame at the front near the tongue jack.  Mine was made in August of 2015, but considered a 2016 model year for some reason.  The actual date might be helpful in narrowing the problem time period.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350

No cracks on either side.  Manufacture date 8/15.  Also checked a friend's 320 made about the same time.  Also no cracks.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    Talked to the Bal the chassis manufacturer today. I was  assured that the three other mounting bolts are more than  adequate to secure the tongue. At this point I tend to agree. If I see any increased cracking or any cracking at the other three bolts I will take action. I understand those frame rails can be replaced fairly easy in a couple of hours.The factory claims to have had only the original complaint a couple of years ago. Through this form we have documented four more.
    Here is the note I received from Bal manufacturing. At the bottom is the contact name and number if anyone would like to get more information

Dale,

This is Bernie with BAL / Norco Industries. We produce a variety of frames for customers in the RV industries including nuCamp. I received a few of your comments regarding the crack around the front dimple on your T@B frame. I would like to share some of the information regarding the frame but your phone number was not included. If you could please send a number that I can reach you at, I can run through what I know about the T@B frame and your area of concern.

Thanks,

Bernie Garceau

Norco Industries

(574) 262-3400

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Good info Dale. Thanks for taking the initiative to bring this to everyone's attention and to follow up with Bal/Norco. (However, I wish you didn't have the frame cracks that motivated you to do so...)
    2015 T@B S
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Dalehelman, Yes, a BIG thanks for bringing this situation to light for others to be aware of. It's about time for you to get out your lawn chair & coffee cup isn't it? As always I'm looking forward to your next round of insights, or modifications, whatever comes first. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Looks like I have one started on the passenger side.

Passenger side dies not have one, yet, but appears as though one could be forming. It's raining pretty much all day, here, so I did not linger to study, closely.

Jenn. Looks like you do have a good start on one. This is interesting as it shows the starting point.  I suspect rust at the bottom of the dimple is what starts it. Then trailer flex moves it along. When you drop it off at the factory make sure they see it. 

I find this worrisom but not a fatal flaw. Likely easy to weld and strengthen too. 

Thanks for checking. 

Norm