Options

EXPANDED RECALL OF T@B 320's from 1/1/2013 to 8/31/2016 for 3-way refrigerators

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Michelle - I tested the temperature on my fins when warm.  It was approximately 128 degrees.  Make sure the rubber can withstand those temps.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited October 2016
    For a temporary "block" between the hoses and fins I stuck a thick rubber sprinkler valve washer in there. Do you think this is okay until I take it in? May be a few months before that will happen. 
    Not sure what the temperature rating is on that washer, but it's probably not very high compared to a gas hose.
    Anyone know how hot the fins can get?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options

Your situation will vary depending on model and date of manufacture.
    For me this was a 5 minute fix on a 2015 Max S.
    It appears the problem is the location of the hose clips combined with hose length.
    If the clips are high enough on the divider panel and the hoses have enough slack, you won't find any issue to fix.
    In my case the steps were --

1. Removed the access panel under the sink.
    2. Found one hose resting on the fins next to the insulation. There was no damage to the hose.
    3. Solution was to cable tie the hoses together at the bend (see image).

Now neither hose rests on the fins and tension is such that both hoses are pressed against the sink access panel and rise well above the fins before routing to their connectors.
    I did not bother removing the refrigerator panel as this issue is only at the top of the fridge and you can reach in through the sink access panel to feel down along the hoses to confirm the clearance.

I consider this a permanent fix, but will wait for PV to confirm that after I send in my info.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    OutbackAZ said:
    Scott - Yes, available everywhere.  Looks just like white Teflon tape, only yellow. Should be located near the gas fittings and pipes.

FYI - I just noticed when I put the stove back in the cabinet, the fridge propane hose now has so much slack, it lays against the underside of the left burner.  I'll need to secure it to the top of the fridge somehow to keep that from happening.  Will post pics when I get it figured out.
    The bottom of the stove doesn't get that hot. On my gas stove at home, it's the grill portion (and burner) that gets hot enough to burn - not the stove top. The hoses are rated to 180F, but manufacturers don't recommend them going over 140F. Fins are said to reach 158F, but aux cooling fans and venting has lowered that temp considerably.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Just an information note to removing the stove top, the screws on ours required a #2 metric Allen wrench.  2015 Max S model, no caulk on stove top, just was tightened down to the counter.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Also, did the same fix as DurangoTaB, sent pictures and info, waiting on approval from Ed.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Did the same fix as TabberJohn other than I did it via the front access panel.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    OutbackAZ said:
    Michelle - I tested the temperature on my fins when warm.  It was approximately 128 degrees.  Make sure the rubber can withstand those temps.
    Hmm....not sure how to find that out but good point.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Removing the 2015 T@Bitha stovetop required popping off the bumpers and using a small torx screw driver tip. Guess they are all different!

For those worried how close the hose is beneath the stove, it doesn't get that hot underneath - the heat goes from the burner to the tines (grill). I used to run a charcoal Hibachi with heavy aluminum foil under it on top of a cheapo formica table. The table never got hot under the foil (didn't matter if the foil was shiny side up either). Some Dometic even have a sticker holding the hose to the bottom it.

As for as a verb, I would like to say don't do a COMPLETE "Ratkity". When I went to check the work again under the stove (about 36 hrs later), I found my headlamp under the stove! It was still on and shining - gotta love lithium batteries and LEDs!! Geesh. I only went back because I thought I saw a red power wire resting on the fins as well. That was moved (lots of slack) and duct taped to the duct taped sensor probe on the top of the frig. Lesson: check to make sure you have all the tools you started with before putting things back together!! :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Sure glad your not a surgeon - Now where did I leave that scalpo :-)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Or a dentist for that matter! :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    PXLated said:
    Sure glad your not a surgeon - Now where did I leave that scalpo :-)
    There really is an instrument inventory for before and after a surgical procedure. That said, I'm sure I'd make an exception for some people. LOL. :heart:
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ratkity, Good one! PXL, and you thought you weren't special!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    For a temporary "block" between the hoses and fins I stuck a thick rubber sprinkler valve washer in there. Do you think this is okay until I take it in? May be a few months before that will happen. 
    Not sure what the temperature rating is on that washer, but it's probably not very high compared to a gas hose.
    Anyone know how hot the fins can get?
    I have some silicone sheets that are advertised to be used on a grill (and say heat resistant to 500 degrees). Was thinking I could cut some pieces and put them around the washers and then put them in there.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Just don't leave the light...Hey, why's my belly button glowing?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I have some silicone sheets that are advertised to be used on a grill (and say heat resistant to 500 degrees). Was thinking I could cut some pieces and put them around the washers and then put them in there.
    How about cutting a strip then fold it or roll it up and use that instead of the washer?
    Ideally you want air space but a silicone wedge would be a reasonable patch if there isn't enough slack to work with.
  • Options
    Ya, I'd do that - cut out a piece and wrap around hose.
    I have a silicon pad - 1/4" thick - bought at Target - Use to set hot pans/pots on - not a heat mark on it in two years.
  • Options
    Great ideas - I have enough to work with to cut the silicone and wrap around the hoses. That won't pull them back away from the fins but will act as a buffer and should prevent heat getting to the hoses.

• Options
    Mine is incorrect also and rubbing the fins on my 2015 T@B S Max.  Luckily the hose is only scratched up, but I will be making a trip to the dealer....about a 70 mile drive :-(
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    I just went to my dealer yesterday and scheduled an appointment to have my hose problem fixed. Surprisingly, the dealer didn't seem to know anything about the recall. Thanks to this forum I was able to give him all the information he needed to take care of the problem.
    2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    I checked mine this afternoon ( 2015 Outback ).
    Gas line to the stove ( the line closest to refrigerator door ) was secured with a black clip in exactly the correct location as photograph recommends. That gas line was still rubbing the refrigerator finns and has a small cut in it. The refrigerator gas line had no clip attachment at all and was laying loose on top of the refrigerator finns. That line has a 1/4" long small slice of the rubber worn off. I'm no gas line expert, but replacing both lines probably will great more problems than it solves. Especially with our dealer doing the work.
    I drilled two 3/8" holes in the side access panel and secured both gas lines to the access panel with a single zip-tie running though the holes. 

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I got a thank you from Ed, so it looks like my repair is permanent in their eyes.  Glad they caught it,  it could be a serious issue as the trailers age.  Overall it was an easy fix for me, since we had some slack in the hose.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    It appears from the pictures and descriptions that everyone's situation is a little bit different depending on exactly how the hoses are routed. I have a feeling that if your hoses are not damaged--and you have taken some reasonable step to ensure they do not become damaged by rubbing on the fins--PV is probably going to consider it a satisfactory fix.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Per Ed K...if your VIN is on the recall list, you do t have an imminent danger, and you've remedied the problem, they'd still like an email/pic for their NHTSA recall documentation.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    Fixed it myself and sent Ed photos and and other information per Verna's instructions.  Thanks to Verna and others for the heads-up on this issue.  See photo.

2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
  • Options
    DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    Took the panel off and confirmed that we need the hoses attached to the wall. We live pretty close to the dealer and will let them handle the fix. Dealer told me that the "fix kit" is more than just the clip. I'll be interested to see what comes from the factory. Mechanic said he thinks they have to rerun the hose. 
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Don't know what the fix is here but hope the dealer can figure it out. Both hoses rest on the fins, and against the panel- neither is damaged, I can force a single sheet of paper between hoses and fins. 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Twojgrams, that's definately a tighter fit than in my T@B. I wonder if your fridge is positioned slightly different in the cabinet. If you are not comfortable with the clearance--and it can't be increased--perhaps using longer hoses and routing them well away from the fins would do the trick.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    ScottG, thanks! I will try to lift the stove top to see how the fridge is deployed in that space before I make an appointment. I'm concerned because I don't know how much experience they have with T@Bs. Alternatively, I've tried to think of other licensed vendors who work in tiny spaces. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Addendum to original post-there is no give to either hose so I can't see the hose/fin contact but it was barely used by the original owner and only 2 nights by us, so doubt damage.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner